Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Early stages of my Surge MOD.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Early stages of my Surge MOD.
on: May 30, 2018, 03:28:53 PM
I picked up an Old Style Surge recently.  I wanted to replace the Blade Exchanger and Awl I harvested from my Old Surge used to create my Wave mod.  Anywho,,,,,  once I replaced both tools I thought I'd play around with some ideas.  I first made a Surge ALX but decided that wasn't really a tool I like.  I then tried to figure out a way to replace the serrated blade for a dedicated pry tool but need a little more thought on that.  I knew I wanted to get rid of the can opener but replace it with what  :think:

For now I added the large driver and will eventually make a chisel like my Swisstools.  I like the main blade, blade exchanger, scissors, large bit driver, small bit driver, awl, and large flat driver.  I can do without the serrated blade and can opener.   
IMG_5066.jpg
* IMG_5066.jpg (Filesize: 111.18 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: Early stages of my Surge MOD.
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:59:34 PM
I find this to be quite a nice addition on my wave. I think with some careful grinding, it should fit a surge also. The wrenches are a little gimmicky but the pry tool is very strong and the strap cutter is crazy sharp.
IMG_20180530_215627-432x465.jpg
* IMG_20180530_215627-432x465.jpg (Filesize: 19.12 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:29:31 AM
Looks like a cool idea Sam :cheers: and good luck with the modding Aloha :tu: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:35:16 AM
Very neat idea.  I got busy in my yard I totally forgot to sharpen the flat driver into a chisel.  I'll have to wait till the weekend. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 01:02:40 AM
Alright the deed is done.  Its very sharp testing it out on some dried apple wood.  I will have a look at the pry bar pictured but for now I"ll pause and maybe something will come to me about whats next. 

Gosh I take horrible pictures.   :facepalm:
IMG_5071.jpg
* IMG_5071.jpg (Filesize: 192.94 KB)
IMG_5072.jpg
* IMG_5072.jpg (Filesize: 204.26 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 04:45:59 AM
Looks good.  :tu:

I have thought about something similar, but with one of the long MUT bits to insert into the Surge bit holder instead. Similar concept though. Although the MUT bit thing would be something else to find a way to carry. :facepalm:
The dedicated pry tool seems like a good direction.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:38:26 AM
It was an easy mod on the extra large flat driver I had.  First my Dremil then a ceramic stone to smooth and dial in the edge.  I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  I can loose the serrated blade so a dedicated pry tool will be something I'll look towards.  I like your idea as well but like you said it'll be another implement to carry.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD