Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It's the little things in life

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
It's the little things in life
on: April 21, 2018, 02:22:05 AM
When it comes to the world at large I have been suffering from what should be a serious problem, but I don't care.  In fact, not caring is my problem  It seems as time goes by, more and more things just don't matter to me.  My "Give a Damn" list gets shorter pretty much every day, and I am okay with that.

But, there are a few things that will never go off that list- things such as this community and the folks that make it up, my dogs and my family.

The last one is what I wanted to talk about- I know I have made a few comments about my nephews in the past, and I do love them, even if I do roll my eyes at the bubble wrap that has been placed around them, but lately the younger of the two has been messaging me on Google Hangouts, and occasionally even video chatting with Uncle Grant. 

Maybe I am getting a bit soft in my old age, and I probably shouldn't get so excited when an 11 year old boy messages me on the internet  :facepalm: but I really am happy to hear from him.  I love that I get to see both of them more since I live a lot closer now (still a long ways away, but about a thousand miles less than it was!) and that I get to be a part of their lives.

No point to this post, I just am in a good mood from talking to my nephew again, even if I thought today was his birthday when it is really tomorrow.   :facepalm:

I love those kids.  Since my father left home and joined the military and we moved around a lot, I barely knew any of my relatives, and I am still meeting "close" relatives these days that I never knew, and I think it's great.  It's even greater still that one of my nephews thinks I am important enough to keep in touch with.

I know men aren't supposed to have feelings, and we aren't supposed to acknowledge them even if we did, but I am proud that I am interesting enough for him to want to talk to me, when he has friends, video games, TV and swimming that I am sure keeps him more than occupied.

Guess I'm just getting sappy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: It's the little things in life
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 02:54:54 AM
Uncle Grant, you are so cool, kayaking, knife owning, and your Jeep are all things I am interested in, so yes I will stay in touch.  Then there is Auntie Megan, she’s hot!

See you got a lot going right!  Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:04:57 AM
I think the world would be a better place if men could drop the 'we have no emotions' act, and show how they feel, in particular when they're good feelings.

I think it's great you are having feels about relatives. It's awesome to feel like you're part of a caring family. And that works both ways, for you and your nephew.

I wholeheartedly approve.  :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 06:00:40 AM
Children are great  judges of character; they call it how it is; they concentrate on what is important to them in their lives (as opposed to what someone else tells them is important); they typically are not constrained or conditioned by what society thinks/believes ...... Sadly all this comes later    :(

So I can see why you are pretty excited about young nephew wanting to hang out with Uncle Grant. 

And family is always best at least IMHO   :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 06:19:36 AM
Grant,
That is awesome! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:24:11 AM
:2tu:

Nothing wrong with showing how you feel!

Nothing wrong with being happy either...

How could he not stay in touch with an uncle like you?! :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 07:54:03 AM
Kids can bring out some wonderful feelings.  Its neat he's messaging you. 
Esse Quam Videri

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 08:52:13 AM
If I had an uncle like Grant, I wouldn’t want to  be out of touch... :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:34:04 AM
You speak the truth!  :cheers: :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 12:07:41 PM

+1!

I even considered opening a Whatsapp chat with him a few times  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 12:58:27 PM

+1!

I even considered opening a Whatsapp chat with him a few times  :D

Go for it. That's what it's there for.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 01:00:20 PM
Now if Uncle Grant would let me fly his Jeep... :lol:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 02:38:26 PM
More than 20 years ago I took my two young nephews to a rocky coast that used to be a Nike missile base. It's now a Marine study area owned by a university. We clamored along the rocks, into a couple of the old lookout bunkers, and I showed them the semi circle where the launcher was.  This was someplace I'd gone with my buddy several times, and I had to watch my nephews that day so we took them with us. Although maybe I should not have...

Hiking with my nephew last yesr, he mentioned remembering going there with us, and how he always liked to visit, or when I visited them, because I was the cool uncle.

Looking back, there were times I know I should have spent much more time with them. Now we camp and hike together every year. Spent Christmas together,  and watch the superbowl together too.

Evidently I inspired my other nephew to backpack across Europe and become quite a hiker, even though I was more of a day or weekend tripper myself. He just remembers those times and brought it to the next level.

That's just great, Grant! Enjoy it while you can. Actually just keep it up. Make it a lifelong adventure to love and be around your nephews.

As someone else mentioned.. kayaks and knives and Jeeps, oh, my! What's not to like?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 03:29:37 PM
As someone else mentioned.. kayaks and knives and Jeeps, oh, my! What's not to like?

I could give you a long list of things not to like about me, but let's just say that I, personally, am the weak link in all of the cool things in my life!  :P

That adventure with your nephews sounds like exactly the type of adventures I would love to take my nephews on, and probably the kind of thing they would love to do, until their mother found out, which wouldn't take long as one of them doesn't blow his nose without calling her!   >:D

If I get the chance this summer I will try to get them out on a bit of an adventure.  They spend a fair bit of the summer at my parents' place (cheap babysitting!  :P) and I try to visit my folks as often as possible too, so there's a good chance of an overlap.  And, with my parents living in the woods, on a river and having power boats, kayaks, ATV's, pellet guns and miles and miles of woods, I can think of an awful lot of adventuring that could be had!  There's a hike up one of the local rocks (too small to call them mountains, but so much larger than hills, and being almost 100% solid granite) that Megan and I have been meaning to do, so maybe it is something we could take the boys out on.  With my handicap I can't go too far or over too rough terrain, so they shouldn't have a problem with it.  If I can do it, anyone can!  :P

Def

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 04:26:26 PM
You really need a niece to teach how to love the outdoors, then you could be a real marshmallow! 
I have two granddaughters that handle the outdoors as well as the grandsons. 

Muddy girl Buck pattern fit them well!

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 04:49:49 PM
You really need a niece to teach how to love the outdoors, then you could be a real marshmallow! 
I have two granddaughters that handle the outdoors as well as the grandsons. 

Muddy girl Buck pattern fit them well!

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 06:20:50 PM
That is awesome. I will ask my brother and his wife to get on top of that immediately!   :D

Def

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 08:06:09 PM
+1 - be careful how you approach that. You may be cut off from nephews if not stealthy enough. ;)

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 05:16:56 PM
Lets go see Uncle Grant... He has all the cool stuff!  :mail:

Back on topic, my godparents were basically my second set of parents (I called them aunt and uncle..) Anytime I would go visit them (legal drinking age of course), my uncle would direct me to the fridge in the garage always stocked with cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon to grab one. I'd grab one and go inside and shoot the breeze with them for hours on end. My Aunt passed away suddenly last year so my uncle just lives by himself in the house. Visiting him nowadays still warrants a trip to the garage fridge for the usual drink. Anytime I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon now, it reminds me of nothing but good memories!  :cheers: :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 02:52:18 AM

I could give you a long list of things not to like about me, but let's just say that I, personally, am the weak link in all of the cool things in my life!  :P

That adventure with your nephews sounds like exactly the type of adventures I would love to take my nephews on, and probably the kind of thing they would love to do, until their mother found out, which wouldn't take long as one of them doesn't blow his nose without calling her!   >:D

If I get the chance this summer I will try to get them out on a bit of an adventure.  They spend a fair bit of the summer at my parents' place (cheap babysitting!  :P) and I try to visit my folks as often as possible too, so there's a good chance of an overlap.  And, with my parents living in the woods, on a river and having power boats, kayaks, ATV's, pellet guns and miles and miles of woods, I can think of an awful lot of adventuring that could be had!  There's a hike up one of the local rocks (too small to call them mountains, but so much larger than hills, and being almost 100% solid granite) that Megan and I have been meaning to do, so maybe it is something we could take the boys out on.  With my handicap I can't go too far or over too rough terrain, so they shouldn't have a problem with it.  If I can do it, anyone can!  :P

Def

That was key. My sister is 5 years older than me and no stranger to handing out a good asss-kicking. So no, their mom did not find out about out little excursion until years later.

Have a great time with them Grant.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 02:54:00 AM
Lets go see Uncle Grant... He has all the cool stuff!  :mail:

Back on topic, my godparents were basically my second set of parents (I called them aunt and uncle..) Anytime I would go visit them (legal drinking age of course), my uncle would direct me to the fridge in the garage always stocked with cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon to grab one. I'd grab one and go inside and shoot the breeze with them for hours on end. My Aunt passed away suddenly last year so my uncle just lives by himself in the house. Visiting him nowadays still warrants a trip to the garage fridge for the usual drink. Anytime I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon now, it reminds me of nothing but good memories!  :cheers: :tu:

ToolJoe,  I can relate. Got something like that but it is Miller Highlife. A highly underrated workin' man's beer

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%