Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerLock Handle Doors

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
SOG PowerLock Handle Doors
on: April 21, 2018, 08:26:14 AM
This thread doesn't apply to us more avid SOG PL users here. But, every single youtube video I watch about the PowerLock/Assist series shows someone who opens the thing up all the way, opens the handle cover, then pulls out the tool and reverses the process to close. Also, this is a common reason people give on this site for not liking the handle covers(thus removing them and making plier use very uncomfortable). The handle covers are much more ingenious than that. The action to get a tool out and put it back in can be simplified into a single fluid action that saves two steps each way. In the attached pictures I am showing the handle end of a basic PowerLock(any PowerLock or Assist w/cover will do the same trick). Open the tool by pulling the door(on the side I need to open) at the same time with the opposing handle (first pic). The cover goes to the other side of the pliers (second picture). The pliers catch the opening in the cover and stop, so the tool isn't opening more than needed to get out the tool(It is very stable in this state). Then retrieve the tool needed(third pic). The design allows for any of the tools to come out in this arrangement.
Just pull the handles together (fourth pic) and the covers close with the handles and you're good to go. The same steps in reverse for putting the tool back in. :tu:

20180421_010446.jpeg
* 20180421_010446.jpeg (Filesize: 42.46 KB)
20180421_010534-1-1.jpeg
* 20180421_010534-1-1.jpeg (Filesize: 94.89 KB)
20180421_010603-1.jpeg
* 20180421_010603-1.jpeg (Filesize: 82.59 KB)
20180421_010622-1.jpeg
* 20180421_010622-1.jpeg (Filesize: 57.87 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: SOG PowerLock Handle Doors
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:49:54 AM
can't say you discovered that yourself, I've been doing it for a while with some SOGs  :pok:

but it's a neat design feature, shall we say, that you've found exploring on your own  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 01:48:06 PM
can't say you discovered that yourself, I've been doing it for a while with some SOGs  :pok:

but it's a neat design feature, shall we say, that you've found exploring on your own  :salute:
:like:

I am hoping some of the youtube reviewers and SOG newbies will see this thread. SOG gets a bad reputation regarding the handle covers in the video reviews(go search powerlock reviews on youtube).  :ahhh

The thread doesn't apply to us avid SOG users :mn:. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 03:12:59 PM
Good post.  I discovered this shortly after getting my first PL as well.  So simple yet it makes the tool so much more user friendly.

Yayosaki

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:22:45 AM
I like your information a lot.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 12:51:47 PM
Nicely explained GLBM  :like: :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 03:03:58 PM
Good post.  I discovered this shortly after getting my first PL as well.  So simple yet it makes the tool so much more user friendly.
Thank you, clown! :cheers:

I like your information a lot.

Thank you, Yayosaki!  :cheers:

Nicely explained GLBM  :like: :like: :tu:
Thank you, Wspeed!    :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%