Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Scales for Executive Don't Fit - rookie seeking help.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Hi Guys,

I have an ancient Executive that had broken scales.  I decided to replace the scales and bought new ones from Heidi Shop in CH (nice experience by the way, and getting the little cushioned mailer from Switzerland is fun).  There is a problem, however.  The posts on the knife frame are just a little smaller than the receptacles on the new scales.  The new scales go right on, and fall right off.  There is no resistance whatsoever. 

The difference is tiny enough to make it hard to tell from the pictures, but I've taken some and attached them below anyway.  (And threads without pics suck.)  ;-)

I'm thinking that this Executive is old enough that the design of the scales/posts has changed since it was built.  Is there any hope?

Thanks,

Myron

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: New Scales for Executive Don't Fit - rookie seeking help.
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 03:48:01 PM
I think the solution is going to be glue.  But let's see what others say.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:04:58 PM
I also read super glue is what others have used.  It'll be nice for your Executive to get some news clothes.   :)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 04:18:27 PM
Well, the super glue solution is staring me in the face I must say, although it's not one that I'm nuts about. 

Would it be feasible to dive headfirst into an alox conversion?  I'm a competent DIY'er for the most part, although I have no idea what tools I'd need to do this chore.

Any advice?

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 04:20:55 PM
Wait for more input.
Not that I ever take my own advice.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:30:50 PM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 05:25:38 PM
The residue on your old scales looks like glue to me.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 05:36:49 PM
The residue on your old scales looks like glue to me.

Yup, it is.  I put it there 10 years ago before I had my own Personal SAK Awakening and realized how trivially easy it was to replace broken or worn scales.  So my thinking with this project was partially to right the wrongs done to this knife in the past. 

I wonder if there is something I could put in the receptacles of the new scales to just tighten them up ever so much.  Like maybe a tiny little square of masking tape or something?

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 05:37:33 PM
Sometimes you run into the same problem with scales you pop off and want to put back on. I have had good success with "GOOP". Holds well and still allows you to pop off the scales later without damage.
Perception is reality

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 05:39:18 PM
I will add that the Goop only goes in the holes not on the scales. :tu:
Perception is reality

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 06:01:46 PM
I like the Goop idea.

Using sparingly. I think it works best if you use it like rubber cement and put a little on both the pins and in the holes (don't over do it) and let the Goop cure for 5-10 minutes, then mate the scales to the knife. Clamp tight and let cure for 24º.

Goop has the advantage of being flexible. Super glue might work, but it may crack if the scale is smacked....say if the knife is dropped onto a hard surface. Superglue has nice tensile strength, but I don't think it has the same shear strength.

The trick with goop will be to use it sparingly. I seem to get it everywhere when I use it.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 06:18:52 PM
Love the Goop idea!  I will give this a go and report back tomorrow.

Thanks VSAK Brothers!

Myron

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:43 PM
I like the Goop idea.

Using sparingly. I think it works best if you use it like rubber cement and put a little on both the pins and in the holes (don't over do it) and let the Goop cure for 5-10 minutes, then mate the scales to the knife. Clamp tight and let cure for 24º.

Goop has the advantage of being flexible. Super glue might work, but it may crack if the scale is smacked....say if the knife is dropped onto a hard surface. Superglue has nice tensile strength, but I don't think it has the same shear strength.

The trick with goop will be to use it sparingly. I seem to get it everywhere when I use it.

Goop is the stuff to use . . . and as already advised use only in the scales holes and on the posts. Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) as already mentioned is brittle. Not only would flexing and shock tend to crack the bond, but coefficient of thermal expansion mismatch will also cause the bond to fracture. That's techno-babble for: different materials don't expand and contract at the same rate with temperature changes. It's how the bimetalic strip in your thermostat works. It's also why people with large fillings in their teeth often have a cracked tooth around the large filling after four or more decades. Heating and cooling over time creates shear stresses and the brittle SuperGlue bond eventually gives. Goop is flexible and will allow different rates of thermal expansion and contraction to coexist.

John

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 08:24:12 PM
It’s a pen knife, not the space shuttle. Superglue is fine.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 08:28:54 PM
But how many of us on MTO treat their tools like they were the space shuttle.   ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 08:37:35 PM

It's not just a pen knife....IT'S a SAK!  :SAKnight:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 05:12:32 AM
I wouldn't have seconded the Goop suggestion if I didn't have personal experience with SuperGlue bond failures for the reasons I cited. CTE mismatch causing structural failure of rigidly brittle glue bonds is not just a theoretical phenomenon. It's truly The Irresistible Force generated cumulatively at a molecular level. There is no Immovable Object that it will not eventually move, succumbing to its relentless effort. Cyanoacrylate (SuperGlue) is OK for certain kinds of bonds. This isn't one of them.

John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:48:43 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 05:28:29 AM
As it happens, I'm a professional engineer by day, so the coefficient of thermal expansion argument struck a chord with me.  Earlier today, I applied tiny dots of Goop to the scale receptacles, neatly assembled the knife, and put it in a soft-jawed vise.  It turned out great and the new scales are rock solid!  And the tiny amount of excess that squished out in one place was easily removed. 

As though we needed any other examples of old brittle stuff giving out, the top scale finished breaking where it was cracked for years.   I picked it up for this picture and gave it the slightest test and it came off in my hand. 

Thanks all for the help with this project! 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 07:48:41 AM
I'll have to pick up some goop. 

Nice new britches  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 09:20:50 AM
I don't know what Goop is (perhaps something that Gwyneth Paltrow emits) but I was wondering if a silicon sealant would work as it is gluey but has a bit of body to it and is flexible.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 10:12:17 AM
I don't know what Goop is (perhaps something that Gwyneth Paltrow emits) but I was wondering if a silicon sealant would work as it is gluey but has a bit of body to it and is flexible.
"Goop" is a family of adhesives made by Eclectic Products, Inc., located in Pineville, Louisiana. It's a long-time subsidiary of the Willamette Valley Company.
http://eclecticproducts.c...roducts/amazing-goop.html

It' similar to a silicon sealant but a little stiffer when it sets. As you surmised, it's got some flexibility which helps to keep it from fracturing and failing under shear stresses. I know they have some presence in Europe, but perhaps not yet in Oceania. When someone mentions using Goop, it's usually the General Purpose version, and perhaps the Plumbing one.

John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:16:54 AM by jalind »
John

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 11:12:03 AM
 :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 12:58:49 PM
As it happens, I'm a professional engineer by day, so the coefficient of thermal expansion argument struck a chord with me.  Earlier today, I applied tiny dots of Goop to the scale receptacles, neatly assembled the knife, and put it in a soft-jawed vise.  It turned out great and the new scales are rock solid!  And the tiny amount of excess that squished out in one place was easily removed.   

Thanks all for the help with this project! 

Looks great Myron! :like: :tu: :tu:

Glad you started this thread...I learned about using Goop for repairs. :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 01:50:03 PM
Looks good Myron :tu:
And Goop is one of those products that does what it says, I've used it to attach a transducer to a transom underwater, running the boat at 40 kmh with no loosening, on the marketing side I think all the different types of Goop is the same Goop, I've seen general purpose Goop, Marine Goop, shoe Goop to name a few

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 02:45:51 PM
Thanks one and all for the input and compliments!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%