Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommended Police Flashlights

Rico-2 · 92 · 7399

00 Offline Rico-2

Recommended Police Flashlights
on: April 21, 2018, 10:18:05 PM
Which modern flashlights can be recommended for police-officers, and why?

00 Offline Rico-2

Re: Recommended Police Flashlights
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:23:08 AM
Police-officers need a light-weight flashlight, to carry high on a MOLLE vest, or on their duty-belt. In addition, they need a heavier search-light in their patrol-bag, in the patrol-vehicle, that reaches further, to search in parks and forests.

I'll give suggestions of flashlights, that could be used as police-flashlights. You can find and watch their beam-shots via Google-Videos and Google-Images.

Very bright, light-weight, affordable flashlights

"Thorfire C8S", 900 lumens, throws very far.

"Nitecore P30", throws 620 meter.

"Olight M3XS-UT Javelot" (throws one kilometer, 3000 feet)

"Olight M23 Javelot" (440 meters)

"Olight M20SX Javelot" (370 meters)

"Fenix FD41" (340 meters) with adjustable beam-width.

Portable search-lights that throw extremely far

"Thorfire Powerful Flashlight", 4000 lumens, throws very far.

"BLF GT" throws two kilometers, 6000 feet, 2000 lumens, narrow beam.

"Olight M3XS-UT Javelot", throws one kilometer, 3000 feet, is 21 cm long,

"Armytek Barracuda Pro", throws very far

"Olight M2X UT Javelot", throws very far

"Nitecore TM38", throws 1.4 kilometer, 1800 lumens, narrow beam.

"Nitecore TM16GT Tiny Monster",  throws one kilometer, 3000 feet, 3600 lumens.

"Fenix RC40", throws 730 meters, 6000 lumens.

"Olight X6", throws 640 meters, 5000 lumens.

"BLF Q8", throws only 450 meters, due to it's wide beam-angle, 5000 lumens.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:55:39 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:47:58 AM
Man, this guy likes cops

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:48:21 AM
And I’m not sure that these flashlights would be rugged enough. ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Rico-2

Police specifications
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:41:13 PM
And I’m not sure that these flashlights would be rugged enough. ;)
Thanks, and sorry for being unclear. Developments in flashlight technology go fast. I am NOT shure, if the aforementioned flashlights on my shortlists are tested and approved for police-work. But they shine very far, which can be important for searching and video-recording at long distances. 

Police flashlights that are carried on the body, should have certain characteristics:
- aluminum body
- light-weight
- fit for safety-gloves (in cold climates for winter-gloves)
- easy one-handed light-switch
- sufficient battery-capacity
- suitable use-interface for police-work
-  highly shock-proof and water-resistant
- lanyard-hole
- good safety-glass
- preferably good user-reviews
- not too expensive, since flashlights can break, and police-budgets may be tight
- good grip and knurling
- sufficient throw and spill (bright hot-spot plus some widely scattered light),
or adjustable beam-width (AKA focusable)
- good customer-service and warranty (for repair and spare-parts) 
etc.

Central national purchase for the police is cheaper than personal purchase, and enables more expertise in selection. That is even better in cooporation with many countries.

It is preferable, that all police-officers in a country can choose from a shortlist of a few flashlights to carry on the body. Than police-officers can be trained,  to use the user-interface of all those flashlights. Stronger officers can carry heavier flashlight and other gear, than officers with less muscle-power.

Special police-tasks can require special flashlights, like forensic detective, SWAT-member, administrative officer, riot-police, river-police, city-police, etc.     
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:44:46 PM by Rico-2 »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 12:57:51 PM
How do you train someone in flashlight usage?  :think:

What I’m imagining: :D
Heres your flashlight, batteries and charger.
It comes with a manual, but basically you press the button and it turns on.
There are different ways you can press the button for different modes.
Use it at home to become familiar with it.
Charge the batteries every night.

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 01:16:15 PM

It is more complicated, if one has to arrest, fight or shoot suspects in a dark forest, in extreme weather-conditions. And advanced flashlights can come with a complicate user interface.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:39:51 PM by Rico-2 »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:46:24 PM
This guy is hilarious. As someone who spent much of his army service seconded to a police anti terrorist unit, honestly Rico, please stop trying to speak for the police. They know what they need, they know what they want and most of the time they don't have the budget for either exactly and make do with what the department can afford or already bought last time they could squeeze the gear through the budget.  What individual police people buy themselves is based on their own choices. This kind of mall ninja fantasising is rather annoying to the people who have done this for real.

You know what I had as my personal flashlight while serving with the police? A Maglite Mini. Incandescent bulb. About 10 lumen on a good day. It was better than the huge and bulky rechargeable units we were issued with and of which there were never enough to go round. Oh and I couldn't begin to afford better. You know what? We did the job. We managed. Despite not having in depth training in flashlight usage and not having worked out in the gym every day specifically to be able to carry a heavier flashlight as you seem to be suggesting.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 01:53:36 PM

It is more complicated, if one has to arrest, fight or shoot suspects in a dark forest, in extreme weather-conditions. And advanced flashlights can come with a complicate user interface.

What?! Running about in a dark forest? Do you know how many potential trip hazards there are in a forest?!... smurfing loads, that's how many!!!... and in the dark too!.... and who... who exactly are the police going to sue when they have a tumble? Who's the perpetrator going to sue? Bureaucratic nightmare that's what that is... it's madness!!!  :ahhh

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9965034/Police-chief-condemns-officer-suing-petrol-station-over-kerb-trip.html

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:01:22 PM by Fuzzbucket »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 02:15:32 PM

characteristics:

- sufficient battery-capacity
-  highly shock-proof and water-resistant
- good safety-glass
- preferably good user-reviews

- not too expensive, since flashlights can break, and police-budgets may be tight

- sufficient throw and spill (bright hot-spot plus some widely scattered light),
or adjustable beam-width (AKA focusable)
- good customer-service and warranty (for repair and spare-parts) 

I've picked some characteristics from your list.

2 highly contradictive points are marked in bold.

The others are just contradicting to the first bold marked line.

From what I understand, you want a super powerfull tactical light with alot of rings and bells for as cheap as possible but with an outstanding waranty service.

You want (half) a lifetime of waranty?
You'll have to pay for it!

On top of that,
Fenix, Olight, Led Lenser, Surefire, Nitecore, even Maglite and others, all build led flashlights build for LEO's and/or military use.
A S&R light is NOT used to check car documents and passports or vice versa. Like with multitools, there is no "one-does-it-all" and the ones that come close are sold at premium prices.

All LEO's I've talked to so far carry a light anywhere between 200-600lm and never needed anything more.
Some chose a model with strobe, some didn't, while others didn't prefer.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 02:17:42 PM
Also, a 3000lm light will not be portable enough for every day use.
Toting it around for a possible search in a forest every now and then doesn't justify that.
And if it is portable enough, it will not have enough juice to keep the light working for an entire search.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 04:46:27 PM
When I first read the O.P. initial question here I had to wonder exactly what the motivation was for it overall?
I figured he was a new officer maybe and was looking for a light for duty use.
But then it just seems to get weirder from there?

I don't think reading specs on a website is really  too useful compared to actual use from experience in the real world and this list of light specs is not a place I would start to look if I were a Cop in need of a light?

In my part of the World the Police seem to focus on Simple,Practical and Available over anything else and it is not difficult to understand why.
Mag,Streamlight,SureFire are the obvious choices I think for all of these reasons but Streamlight & SF mostly offer pricier models than many just starting out may be able to justify too?

If looking for a Rechargeable model then these 3 offer rugged proven units that seem to be in use everywhere and are sort of a standard around here from what I can tell overall.

Mag in particular still offers up to 6 or 7 cell lights I think which could offer pretty extreme run times as well as other defensive advantages that smaller lights might not for some tactical situations.

I would also look at Malkoff as they were born out of the need perceived for a more practical.reliable and simple alternative for Police here and Gene Malkoff seems to have built success with his well designed and built offerings,I love the ones that I have.

Same with Elzetta though they are maybe not as well known just yet.

What I would try to stay away from are offshore options with more than 2 modes and many moving parts and complicated switching interfaces.

Some of the current Mag and Streamlight units even offer user programming options so you can easily set up a light to work just how you want it too and then leave it there which seems like a good idea to me here as well.

A few years ago there was a particular Klarus model that seemed to be popular for this also but I am not sure I would suggest anything this complicated or gimmicky for most of the Police that I know where the Light is just another tool that they carry that they need to rely on for simple,practical and predictable performance under routinely stressful conditions?

If the Mag ain't broken,why fix it?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:49:07 PM by ezdog »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 08:39:47 PM
I don't think reading specs on a website is really  too useful compared to actual use from experience in the real world and this list of light specs is not a place I would start to look if I were a Cop in need of a light?

One could find and compare user-reviews of the mentioned flashlights, via Google, Amazon, Youtube, etc.

In my part of the World the Police seem to focus on Simple,Practical and Available over anything else and it is not difficult to understand why.

Mag, Streamlight,SureFire are the obvious choices I think for all of these reasons but Streamlight & SF mostly offer pricier models than many just starting out may be able to justify too?

Maglite, Streamlight, Surefire and Led Lenser offer much lower specs for the same money, than the brands that I have mentioned. And I am not convinced that these expensive brands are much more sturdy or higher quality, comparing user-review-scores and review-video's.   

If looking for a Rechargeable model then these 3 offer rugged proven units that seem to be in use everywhere and are sort of a standard around here from what I can tell overall.

I guess times are changing.

Mag in particular still offers up to 6 or 7 cell lights I think which could offer pretty extreme run times as well as other defensive advantages that smaller lights might not for some tactical situations.

Carrying a 4D Maglite or even heavier with NiMh-batteries, is for many officers not preferable anymore, over carrying a smaller flashlight with lithium batteries. Esp. if they also carry an expandable steel baton, taser, pepperspray, spare mags, bullet-proof vest, bodycam, smartphone, multi-tool, first-aid-kit, gloves, tactical boots, etc. And sometimes a rifle or heavy riot-gear. 

What I would try to stay away from are offshore options with more than 2 modes and many moving parts and complicated switching interfaces.

IMO it is important, that the user-interface is logical, easily understandable and well-trained.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:47:57 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 08:46:21 PM
Also, a 3000lm light will not be portable enough for every day use. Toting it around for a possible search in a forest every now and then doesn't justify that. And if it is portable enough, it will not have enough juice to keep the light working for an entire search.

I suggested the list of "portable search-lights" to be carried in a patrol-bag in the patrol-vehicle, not permanently on the body. And a few spare batteries can be handy.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 09:02:24 PM
From what I understand, you want a super powerfull tactical light with alot of rings and bells for as cheap as possible but with an outstanding waranty service.

I have just mentioned some (competing) variables, that can be used in a selection process. I didn't say that all those characteristics are eqally important. And some countries or periods will have higher budgets than others.

A S&R light is NOT used to check car documents and passports or vice versa.

Most flashlights I mentioned in the list "Very bright, light-weight, affordable flashlights" can do both, thanks to their different light settings. Did you check the specs and review-videos on those?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 09:08:00 PM
So, are you looking for one for yourself?
To use as a cop?

If so, what is your prime use?
What is your budget?
What brands are available in your part of the world?
Is there a flashlight included in the standard kit? If so, which one?
Aren't searchlights handed out when needed?

It's not like a technician has to buy his own screwdrivers to do company stuff (the company I work for excluded).
If you want laser treated tips or another brand then what is handed though, you'll have to buy your own.

So basicaly, in short, what is your intention? Do you want to know which lights are used by police, or are you looking for advice what to buy?
As a civilian, or as a cop?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 09:15:42 PM

A S&R light is NOT used to check car documents and passports or vice versa.

Most flashlights I mentioned in the list "Very bright, light-weight, affordable flashlights" can do both, thanks to their different light settings. Did you check the specs and review-videos on those?

True, but like I said, while a small, portable flashlight can be used to check documents AND have a high lumen output for long range lighting, the battery pack will nowhere near last as long as a dedicated searchlight.
Given the small size, overheating will be an issue as well, causing smaller lights to have a time limit on their full power setting.

I've got a Led Lenser F1R.
It can shine with a decent, usable glow, a more powerfull mode and a 1000lm mode.
The low and medium mode will be sufficient for 99% of all tasks. The 1000lm is just cool and fun.
Yet, the heat is noticable and can not be diverted from a small, lightweight light. No matter what reviews or "experts" might tell you.

Also keep in mind that reviews on Amazon can be writen by the brands themself, while Youtube reviewers might have gotten the light for free in change for a positive review.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:08 PM
True, but like I said, while a small, portable flashlight can be used to check documents AND have a high lumen output for long range lighting, the battery pack will nowhere near last as long as a dedicated searchlight. Given the small size, overheating will be an issue as well, causing smaller lights to have a time limit on their full power setting.

That's why I've suggested to have different light-settings. And to carry a separate search-light and spare batteries in the patrol-car, in addition to the light-weight flashlight on the body.

Given the small size, overheating will be an issue as well, causing smaller lights to have a time limit on their full power setting.

High-lumen led-flashlights should have sufficient cooling-fins, esp. in a warm climate. So that is another criterium for choice.

Also keep in mind that reviews on Amazon can be writen by the brands themself, while Youtube reviewers might have gotten the light for free in change for a positive review.

I am very aware of that. But I cannot test all types of flashlights myself. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:42:07 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 09:44:41 PM
what is your intention?

I try to inspire an informed discussion, where police-agencies can find objective facts, arguments, opinions and product-suggestions, to support their selection process. This can be useful, since technologial developments go very fast, and budgets are often tight.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 09:47:04 PM

what is your intention?

I try to inspire an informed discussion, where police-agencies can find objective facts, arguments, opinions and product-suggestions, to support their selection process. This can be useful, since technologial developments go very fast, and budgets are often tight.

Ooooooh!
Ok!

Now we're on the same page.

Carry on then. :salute:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 10:18:01 PM

One could find and compare user-reviews of the mentioned flashlights, via Google, Amazon, Youtube, etc.

Mag, Streamlight,SureFire are the obvious choices I think for all of these reasons but Streamlight & SF mostly offer pricier models than many just starting out may be able to justify too?

Maglite, Streamlight, Surefire and Led Lenser offer much lower specs for the same money, than the brands that I have mentioned. And I am not convinced that these expensive brands are much more sturdy or higher quality, comparing user-review-scores and review-video's.   

I guess times are changing.

Carrying a 4D Maglite or even heavier with NiMh-batteries, is for many officers not preferable anymore, over carrying a smaller flashlight with lithium batteries. Esp. if they also carry an expandable steel baton, taser, pepperspray, spare mags, bullet-proof vest, bodycam, smartphone, multi-tool, first-aid-kit, gloves, tactical boots, etc. And sometimes a rifle or heavy riot-gear. 

IMO it is important, that the user-interface is logical, easily understandable and well-trained.

Really?

Again I know and have talked to several Police about this and to a man they are not really interested in the things you think they are.

Maybe the ones that you know are but like I said before the light is just another tool for them and the more simple the less training and more intuition the use is overall.

If they will spend more or their own personal funds for a light it is to get simple and bulletproof not new and unproven .

Also the only really useful reviews and info that I know of from real world us is on BLF or CPF in general and both are dedicated to lights and much more comprehensive in the coverage of them too.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 02:52:15 AM
I know and have talked to several Police about this and to a man they are not really interested in the things you think they are.

Maybe the ones that you know are but like I said before the light is just another tool for them and the more simple the less training and more intuition the use is overall. If they will spend more or their own personal funds for a light it is to get simple and bulletproof not new and unproven .

I recognise that traditional mentality more or less. But gradually I see some change. And I am convinced that in ten years time, police flashlights will be a different ball-game.

My goal is not only to explore officers' opinions and routines, but also to navigate uncharted waters, by tracking new products and technical developments. Because eventually they might enhance speed, safety, job-satisfaction and crime-reduction.

That could imply, that initial obstacles must be overcome, which is not uncommon in innovation. I see police-innovation as a process of flexibility, creativity, resilience and endurance.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:56:47 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 03:07:21 AM
Can we start a thread on 'Which Body Cam they should wear'? This seems to be much more of an issue at stakes here...

:facepalm:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 03:16:32 AM
I'm waiting for people to realise that military and in this case LEO equipment is built and supplied at the lowest price possible  :rofl:

(large cash backhanders not taken into account)
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:40 PM
Man, this guy likes cops

and answering himself. See post 1,  and then post 2

every thread of his is like that  :rofl:

Can we start a thread on 'Which Body Cam they should wear'? This seems to be much more of an issue at stakes here...

:facepalm:

it'll take a few days at most for him to start one  :D

When I first read the O.P. initial question here I had to wonder exactly what the motivation was for it overall?
I figured he was a new officer maybe and was looking for a light for duty use.
But then it just seems to get weirder from there?

they all do. Nobody gets anywhere on them, too

This guy is hilarious. As someone who spent much of his army service seconded to a police anti terrorist unit, honestly Rico, please stop trying to speak for the police. They know what they need, they know what they want and most of the time they don't have the budget for either exactly and make do with what the department can afford or already bought last time they could squeeze the gear through the budget.  What individual police people buy themselves is based on their own choices. This kind of mall ninja fantasising is rather annoying to the people who have done this for real.

it really is a good laugh every time.  :D
He's the Messiah for all LEOs and police officers out there, his past and credentials are non rebatable  :ahhh  in that field and his mission sacred

truth is it can sometimes be both  :facepalm:  and overdone,
especially the self-answering and recurrent subject addressed as a self entitled expert   
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 02:06:34 PM
Hey you guys stop knocking him! I like his posts... they're entertaining!!!  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 02:53:10 PM
Hey you guys stop knocking him! I like his posts... they're entertaining!!!  :D
:imws:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 03:12:29 PM
I have to agree with Fuzzy and Pabs - If you don't want to get involved in the thread for whatever reason, feel free, but if you do want to contribute please be as respectful as the OP has been, despite all the insults.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 04:52:59 PM
Rechargeable would be nice.  Seems just as easy to carry extra batteries in the car.  Small seems like a good idea but in areas where gloves will be needed for cold weather small could pose a problem.  Simple UI and temporary on would be nice.  I'd also imagine compatibility with weapon mount would also be nice.   Which light is this?  There are lots of good lights but I'm thinning a light in a bit larger than AA would be good.  18650 cell would be a good size to power ratio maybe?   
Esse Quam Videri

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 05:42:10 PM
I have to agree with Fuzzy and Pabs - If you don't want to get involved in the thread for whatever reason, feel free, but if you do want to contribute please be as respectful as the OP has been, despite all the insults.

And don't forget that all of us on this forum tend to be regarded as having a screw or two loose by the general  population.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD