Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommended Police Flashlights

Rico-2 · 92 · 7483

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Helmet-lights
Reply #60 on: April 27, 2018, 04:09:14 AM
Another lighting-system for the police could be helmet-lights. They provide hands-free lighting, that automatically follows the direction of view. Helmet-lights are less vulnerable in a hand-to hand-fight, than a head-light on an elastic strap around the head.

The helmet-light can be attached to the front, top, or side of the police-helmet. For example on a light-weight military FAST helmet. The helmet can have side-rails, to attach different kinds of equipment to, like a headset, bodycam, etc.

Or police-officers can wear a bike-helmet, skate-helmet, cave-helmet, etc. The helmet can protect the officer from permanent brain-damage, caused by violence or an accident.

It is handy, if a backup-light is carried on the body, in case the helmet is carried on the belt or vest, or in the vehicle.

Video: Peltor Comtac III Overview

Rico, I don't know what you may have said but I read what you wrote its right there. The part you just quoted was only the end part of your previous statement.

You see, a helmet is only good in an accident if it is always being worn. And you are talking about the helmet protecting the officer during hand to hand combat and violence.

An officer wearing a helmet is an officer prepared for combat. By definition, that is a posture much less prone to being friendly. It doesn't matter if you are left wing or not. As a matter of fact, since you brought that up, and for the sake of polite political discussion... left wing leans toward soSmurfpillsm, and extreme soSmurfpillsm lent itself to the Nazi party. A lot of helmeted, well equipped, well trained police officers flourished there.

Please understand, I'm not saying you are a Nazi because you want to talk about flashlights and police officers. All I'm saying is that you seem to have in mind some made up, fascist, romanticized, sci-fi version of what a police officer does, without a regard for what that means in real life, sir. There is indeed a time and place for the police to wear helmets and armor. However, A world where armed and  helmeted police officers of the ilk who would require official training in the use of a flashlight, patrol the streets wearing full body armor, cameras, and doing some of the things you talk about doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd enjoy being, that's all.

As another member has asked, have you had an opportunity to also join a flashlight or police oriented forum to bounce your ideas off of the folks who know their equipment best? What do they say about your suggestions?

00 Offline Rico-2

Fenix MC11
Reply #61 on: April 27, 2018, 10:55:46 AM
Fenix MC11, max. 155 lumens, 40 dollars.
It can be carried high on a MOLLE tactical vest, or on a duty-belt, epaulet, shoulder-strap, or helmet, to serve as a hands-free backup-light, and for reading.

It could be attached with a carbine-hook, since using a belt-clip is not enough for rough police-work.   

It has a vertically rotating head.
2.3 oz., 1 AA-battery, positive reviews.
Specs: https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/mc11-fenix-flashlight/
Video:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:10:16 AM by Rico-2 »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Recommended Police Flashlights
Reply #62 on: April 27, 2018, 11:18:17 AM
it keeps going,
relentless, unstoppable,
no matter our comments, remarks, posts or opinions.

These threads are self-feeding by their creator
I told you that when it began  :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #63 on: April 27, 2018, 11:24:50 AM
it keeps going,
relentless, unstoppable,

That describes my flashlight thread too!  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: April 27, 2018, 11:32:51 AM
it keeps going,
relentless, unstoppable,

I've highlighted the important bit for you.

I have to agree with Fuzzy and Pabs - If you don't want to get involved in the thread for whatever reason, feel free, but if you do want to contribute please be as respectful as the OP has been, despite all the insults.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: April 27, 2018, 04:53:29 PM
it keeps going,
relentless, unstoppable,

I've highlighted the important bit for you.

I have to agree with Fuzzy and Pabs - If you don't want to get involved in the thread for whatever reason, feel free, but if you do want to contribute please be as respectful as the OP has been, despite all the insults.
Well, mr z.

You do have a point there, but TP also has a point in the fact that the OP isn't answering questions at all...

We politely asked him a few times already what his affliation with a policeforce is. Without reply...

So yes, we do need to have respect for the OP, but why start listing all these models without answering a simple question? :/

If that's what floats his boat, that's fine I guess, but still... strange...

No?

00 Offline Rico-2

Acebeam K40S
Reply #66 on: April 27, 2018, 09:19:34 PM
I agree to disagree. But why would someone keep on opening this flashlight-topic over and over again, if one finds it annoying? One can unsubscribe to this topic, by using the link in the notification-emails. And one can add my name to the ignore-list on this forum. Click: Home > Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List.

Acebeam K40S
1000 meters, 3300 feet, 135 dollars.
1500 lumens, 25 oz.
Reviews?
Specs: http://www.acebeam.com/k40l-cree-xplhi-1500lm-throw-1030m
Videos:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: April 27, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
I didn't say anything about being annoying...
Trust me, If I thought you were annoying, I wouldn't reply here.

Still, what affliation have you got with police forces?
Just out of curiousity.
:cheers:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: April 28, 2018, 12:10:35 AM
it keeps going,
relentless, unstoppable,

I think many agree with you here.

Jus sayin  :pommel:

What I find strange is the disregard for answers and suggestions given? I'm confused me thinks.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: April 28, 2018, 12:20:58 AM
I guess what confuses me here is that we are a discussion group mainly and like to discuss these things for some reason.

So a few of us are trying to discuss this topic and my motivation is usually to try to be helpful to the original poster who has some idea.question or observation and asked for other opinions.

The discussion here though seems one sided and it is frustrating so I suppose the thing to do at this point is to look for other discussions that will be less frustrating.

Good Luck?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:22:12 AM by ezdog »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #70 on: April 28, 2018, 01:23:14 AM
Rechargeable would be nice. Seems just as easy to carry extra batteries in the car.

I am looking for web-articles concerning rechargeable vs non-rechargeable flashlights, pros and cons.

Small seems like a good idea but in areas where gloves will be needed for cold weather small could pose a problem.

A small flashlight can have a large enough tail-switch, and can be hung on the chest on a tactical vest to be used semi-hands-free. Or it can sit in a special (rotating) holster, for fast deployment. And it needs a second flashlight, in case the battery drains.

Simple UI and temporary on would be nice.  I'd also imagine compatibility with weapon mount would also be nice.

A pistol-light should be attached to the weapon permanently, and should be light-weight, to reduce weight, and to not disturb the aiming. Police-officers do not have long shootings, in general, if any.

18650 cell would be a good size to power ratio maybe?

I agree.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:26:35 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: April 28, 2018, 01:29:52 AM
Ok. I used to be of the mind that this wasn't SPAM because Rico isn't obviously driving sales anywhere in particular. Well, he doesn't have to. He posts talking about various flashlights and tools, and there is virtually no dialog, only his monolog.

For all we know, he is a flashlight distributor and needs only to prove to his boss that his threads here generate x amount of traffic. Someday you buy a Fenix and the questionnaire asks where you heard of it, you say MTO, and Rico gets a couple of bucks because he showed a Fenix video on MTO.

And, like I said. No discussion. Only monolog.

I for one am voting with my feet. Rico - nice not talking with you. Hope you find what you're looking for, though.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:31:48 AM by ThundahBeagle »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #72 on: April 28, 2018, 02:13:09 AM
I would also look at Malkoff as they were born out of the need perceived for a more practical.reliable and simple alternative for Police here and Gene Malkoff seems to have built success with his well designed and built offerings,I love the ones that I have.

How do I know that they are better, than the brands I mentioned, that are much cheaper than Malkoff?

What I would try to stay away from are offshore options with more than 2 modes and many moving parts and complicated switching interfaces.

If the light always starts on high, and the user-interface is logical, it is not a problem if their are different light-settings, like fast strobe and slow strobe IMO. And three brightness-settings for a 1000 lumen flashlight is the minimum number IMO.

Some of the current Mag and Streamlight units even offer user programming options so you can easily set up a light to work just how you want it too and then leave it there which seems like a good idea to me here as well.

Some flashlights have a special tactical program to choose, for LEOs.

A few years ago there was a particular Klarus model that seemed to be popular for this also

The Klarus XT32 could be an interesting search-light, 1000 meters, 3300 feet,130 dollars.
Specs: https://www.flashlightz.com/klarus-xt32

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #73 on: April 28, 2018, 02:21:08 AM
We politely asked him a few times already what his affliation with a policeforce is. Without reply...

I find it not very polite or friendly, to ask someone the same question over and over again, if he is obviously not willing to answer it. That seems more like interrogation, than friendly conversation.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #74 on: April 28, 2018, 02:25:53 AM
No discussion. Only monolog.
I regarded your story about fascism and helmets as not very on-topic in this discussion about police flashlights. Hence I did not reply to it.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #75 on: April 28, 2018, 02:35:35 AM
What I find strange is the disregard for answers and suggestions given?

Which of your constructive suggestions in this topic were ignored by me?

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #76 on: April 28, 2018, 02:41:57 AM
it keeps going, relentless, unstoppable, no matter our comments, remarks, posts or opinions.
Which constructive contributions about police flashlights have you made in this topic?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: April 28, 2018, 02:50:30 AM

I find it not very polite or friendly, to ask someone the same question over and over again, if he is obviously not willing to answer it. That seems more like interrogation, than friendly conversation.

Instead of dodging the question you could have saved us the trouble of asking it over and over by saying that you weren't comfortable answering either way :pok: If you had answered the question like this the first time then it would have been with a more agreeable tone perhaps :P

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: April 28, 2018, 02:58:54 AM
it keeps going, relentless, unstoppable, no matter our comments, remarks, posts or opinions.
Which constructive contributions about police flashlights have you made in this topic?

You obviously don't really value anyone else's opinions or you wouldn't point out why the choices are all wrong when in fact some are possibly used by law enforcement.  I am starting to find your tone offensive as much of what you have to say is repetitive and could also be viewed as unconstructive.  If you want to continue conversation then you need to answer some of the questions asked of you or at least acknowledge them in a way that isn't condescending.  There were plenty of people commenting positively in here until questions started going unanswered and or ignored by you in the first place.

MTO has many great members and many of them have tried to comment on your threads.  So try not to sound so condescending with your replies because many of these members have contributed to the site as a whole and have only tried to stay with you on this thread and others.

So let's try to keep this thread civil and if you don't have anything nice to say just don't comment (this goes for anyone reading this, OP or anyone else) :salute:

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #79 on: April 28, 2018, 03:01:04 AM
Instead of dodging the question you could have saved us the trouble of asking it over and over by saying that you weren't comfortable answering either way :pok: If you had answered the question like this the first time then it would have been with a more agreeable tone perhaps :P
Thanks for the insight. I will learn from that. I had said in the multitool-subforums already a number of times, that I won't tell my background. I assumed wrongly, that people would know that already by now.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: April 28, 2018, 03:17:59 AM
Thanks for the insight. I will learn from that. I had said in the multitool-subforums already a number of times, that I won't tell my background. I assumed wrongly, that people would know that already by now.

We have a several thousand members and not all of them are going to read every single post :salute: If asked by a different member just tell them up front that you won't and then eventually most members will see it and perhaps stop asking  :cheers: Also try not to take most things (or all things) said on here serious and things will be much easier :tu: Plus things tend to go off topic some on here and don't take offense to this as it happens in almost every thread to some degree and most all members here are use to this and that is just the way it is here on MTO  :salute:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #81 on: April 28, 2018, 05:11:31 AM
So how about that mint chocolate chip ice cream, eh?

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #82 on: April 28, 2018, 08:31:57 AM
So how about that mint chocolate chip ice cream, eh?

oh man, that was so funny  :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: April 28, 2018, 08:37:08 AM
You have answered the question by not answering.
Nothing wrong with that, nothing to be ashamed of.

Furthermore, LEOs are not going to buy 3 flashlights privatly to use during work.
1 light, yes. But search lights and helmet lights are provided when needed. These are also needed barely twice a year.
Also, searchlights are outdated for police use. More and more police forces use handheld Flir camera's  for finding someone in a dark location since they can look through bushes while the naked eye can't.

Helmet lights? No way.
A riot officer wears a helmet for riots... in cities... that are lighted...

They work in groups. If they talk/look at each other, they'll only blind each other.
It will also make them stand out in a crowd, becoming a prime target.

Flashlight combat?
Really?

Baton,
Pepperspray,
Taser,
Gun

All of these are better choices then a flashlight when it goes down.
And please don't start with "blinding the opponent" because there is NO record of such an event taking place EVER. It's just marketing from the flashlight companies so people will buy a "legal weapon".

If you want to list every flashlight made today with full specs etc in a thread where there is a listing every now and then instead of 1 complete list, that's fine. I'm not stopping you and I wish you all the enjoyment you can have.
However, I feel like I have been polite all the time, as far as possible.

Calling me impolite for asking a question more then once because it remained unanswered gets me on my toes a little.

You want to build a flashlight list for police officers but you refuse to add why an officer should be relying on your expertise or where it came from.

That's almost like building a list of the best quality/price cars while you haven't got a driver's license.

I do wish you a nice day and I'll just close the door behind me now.

:hatsoff:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: April 28, 2018, 09:20:48 AM
I agree with some of Mechy’s points. It seems to me that the light from a flashlight provide a nice target to aim at.  :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #85 on: April 28, 2018, 09:55:43 AM
I think it's more likely he is a passive aggressive forum troll and he's using this approach to bypass typical in your face tactics that lead to banning.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: April 28, 2018, 10:17:47 AM
By the way, Rico. I see that you registered in May 2016. Happy early 2 year anniversary.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #87 on: April 28, 2018, 02:35:04 PM
I agree with some of Mechy’s points. It seems to me that the light from a flashlight provide a nice target to aim at.  :)

that's what made the bad guys on Splinter Cell an easy target  :D 

On topic, I believe that if an officer ought to carry an all purpose light, it should have the next features:  :pok:

- click/button operation (not twisting or other gizmos)
- Clip, preferably multi position
- 18650 battery for length/life expectancy/power/size ratios
- Be waterproof and impact proof to a certain degree (IP6, 2m fall, etc.)
- Grippy, and designed so it can be used with gloves and present nice purchase to bare(gloved hands alike
- Multi mode, at least two modes (high/low)
- lanyard hole  or attachment point, for rings, cords, fobs, etc.

and preferably, it should be  :gimme:

- magnetic, so it can be stuck in cars, rooms, and most metallic surfaces to facilitate reading documents, hand-free operation, room lighting etc.
- a good add-on would be aside light, to illuminate rooms and places hanging from the chest/vest of the LEO, and stand still while pointing light towards the side

to me, that would be the key points I can think of.
Luckily for us (them), there are already many companies doing lights with most of or all the points above,
SureFire, ThruNite, NiteCore, Fenix, Maglite, Olight, Streamlight, etc.

all at affordable prices and with proven reliability, good warranty and dozens of reviews, opinions and tests already available to choose and evaluate your optimal light  :salute:

If I had to choose a light for such purposes from my collection, it'd be the Sunwayman C22C which has most of the features that I chose as best suited for police roles  :whistle:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #88 on: April 28, 2018, 02:49:45 PM
I don't think he is obliged to answer any question. If it bothers anyone that he doesn't wish to answer, or the threads in general bother you, why get upset? Just ignore the thread.
Offence can only be taken, not given.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: April 28, 2018, 04:49:35 PM
Nice points ThePeace.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!