Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watches - Multitools for time - I've got some too

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Re: Watches - Multitools for time - I've got some too
Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 04:08:11 PM
Ok, so after strolling around the MT corner and stumbling across pics of watches from other members, I've got reminded to an old addiction that I think is not one anymore  :think:

After selling my Mission Impossible G-Shock some month ago to gather funds for a Victorinox CT41 this is what's left... from left to right and front...

G-8000 , G-9100 Gulfman , GW-M5600 , G-2300 , GW-6900 , Citizen Eco-Drive , GW-2000 , Sinn 157 M  TY - Lemania 5100

(Image removed from quote.)

That Sinn is a looker!  :cheers:
:drool:
Unfortunately, the Lemania 5100 inside it was discontinued by Swatch Group in spite of protestations from a number of companies and governments. One of the most robust chrono movements ever made, it could withstand considerable shock vibration and extreme g-forces. Those that want one must find a used Sinn like this one, or a Tutima or Fortis that has one under the dial. All three were using the Lemania movement for aviation and space tool watches.

John
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:10:04 PM by jalind »
John

ie Online McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 10:04:10 PM
Ok, so after strolling around the MT corner and stumbling across pics of watches from other members, I've got reminded to an old addiction that I think is not one anymore  :think:

After selling my Mission Impossible G-Shock some month ago to gather funds for a Victorinox CT41 this is what's left... from left to right and front...

G-8000 , G-9100 Gulfman , GW-M5600 , G-2300 , GW-6900 , Citizen Eco-Drive , GW-2000 , Sinn 157 M  TY - Lemania 5100

That Sinn is a looker!  :cheers:
:drool:
Unfortunately, the Lemania 5100 inside it was discontinued by Swatch Group in spite of protestations from a number of companies and governments. One of the most robust chrono movements ever made, it could withstand considerable shock vibration and extreme g-forces. Those that want one must find a used Sinn like this one, or a Tutima or Fortis that has one under the dial. All three were using the Lemania movement for aviation and space tool watches.

John

Thanks John for the insight.

When the machines producing the parts for the movement got worn enough to lose the required accuracy, they decided that the costs to renew them would not be compensated by the sales numbers  :think:

And although it's a brilliant movement you'll not find a Lemania 5100 behind a glass back. It's got a nylon/plastic type inner mount around it.
It all makes sense function wise, but some say it's an ugly movement.

ie Online McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:56 PM
Due to the interest in the Sinn 157 M  TY - Lemania 5100 I've dug out the old catalogue from Sinn from 1995 that got me hooked...

They also provided the watches for German Astronauts. Same Lemania 5100, but modified the case adding an inner bezel adjustable from the outside. I was thinking of getting that one instead, but I have small wrists and it was just too big and heavy (see technical data sheet at the end for model 142).

153 grams on my left wrist the whole day today  :ahhh

Technical data sheet for all models​ in that catalogue.
Look out for my 157 or the cooler 142 model.

I hope this was interesting for some of you  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:24:42 PM by MTMatt »

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 12:31:38 AM
Thanks Matt that is interesting, cool watch, looks pretty durable!  :cheers:

ie Online McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 12:48:15 AM
Thanks Matt that is interesting, cool watch, looks pretty durable!  :cheers:

:salute:

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 01:05:57 AM
Sinn have such nice clean cool design, that would definitely be one my dress watches in the future!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 01:07:23 AM
From the side photo that 142 does look thick, probably even heavier than yours!  :ahhh

I don't read German, but looks like 20g more at least.

I don't think that's too terribly heavy, but compared to a G shock it's probably noticeable.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:16:23 AM by twiliter »

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 04:00:16 AM
Due to the interest in the Sinn 157 M  TY - Lemania 5100 I've dug out the old catalogue from Sinn from 1995 that got me hooked...

They also provided the watches for German Astronauts. Same Lemania 5100, but modified the case adding an inner bezel adjustable from the outside. I was thinking of getting that one instead, but I have small wrists and it was just too big and heavy (see technical data sheet at the end for model 142).

:2tu:
Thanks for digging that out.

Worn and Wound had this article about the Lemania 5100 and its Delrin parts (the plastic they used) several years ago. It was, indeed, the ugly red-head stepchild and didn't lend itself to being decorated and displayed through a window on the case back that everyone could "ooh & aah" over.
http://wornandwound.com/chronography-4-lemania-5100/

John

ie Online McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 08:33:58 AM

:2tu:
Thanks for digging that out.

Worn and Wound had this article about the Lemania 5100 and its Delrin parts (the plastic they used) several years ago. It was, indeed, the ugly red-head stepchild and didn't lend itself to being decorated and displayed through a window on the case back that everyone could "ooh & aah" over.
http://wornandwound.com/chronography-4-lemania-5100/

John

Wow, what a great article  :like:

Thanks John  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62