Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

where can i find Surge replacement inserts in Canada?

Walley · 13 · 1026

ca Offline Walley

a few weeks ago I found one of my insert cutters on my surge was gone!
it appears that the screw head was sheared off and the cutter vanished when i let someone else use it for a few mins...
anyways, i've been trying to find replacements ever since.
I never thought it would be this difficult, but it seems the Canadian Leatherman website does not show them listed at all and the american site will not ship to Canada.
same goes with Amazon, Canadian site shows them as unavailable and the american site will not ship them to Canada.
I have gone to 2 different local Leatherman dealers and they don't seem to be able to source them for me either.
this is seeming really strange to me and makes me consider whether I should buy more MT's with these types of cutters if this is how it goes.
has anyone else had to replace them?
any ideas on where they can be bought from besides Ebay? they are the only place I have found them and they want to charge more to ship them then the parts are worth!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:01:57 PM by Walley »

ca Offline Walley

Re: where can i find Surge replacement inserts in Canada?
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:15:38 PM
ok, wow.. i guess i should have done this before i created this thread, but I just called Leatherman Canada and they told me that my concerns were true. they do not sell the replacement inserts in Canada!?!
they offered to send me a pair as a one time courtesy, but otherwise they are not available for sale here.
which is puzzling to me since all the stores sell surges and all the other LM's that have these cutters on them.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:26:38 PM
That's really strange. Why wouldn't they sell replaceable cutters. It kind of defeats the purpose if they aren't available.

Did they give you a reason ?

ca Offline Walley

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:52:05 PM
no, she just said: "no, they are not available in Canada but I can send you a pair as a one time courtesy"
i said, that's strange because I see a lot of your models in the store that use these, but we can't buy replacements?
she would not elaborate any more than to just say that "we apologize for the inconvenience, can i get your name and mailing address?"
I have a ST300 and this is my 2nd Surge but i have never needed to replace them before.
thing is, i actually use my surge constantly and I use the wire cutters every few days at least, so I thought these types of cutter inserts would be great for me because i could just grab some new ones when they wear out instead of a whole new MT.
but now that leatherman has my name on file my one time courtesy is over and I will be denied next time i need some.

this kind of thing could start a new black market with people smuggling MT accessories across like Ontario like they were contraband cigarettes!
(taking orders now for my mid summer trip across the border!)  :whistle:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 03:29:15 AM
Another reason to get and use the old-school tools that don't have removable parts. 1) not to lose the parts, and 2) not to be stuck when that little bitty piece is no longer available.

The thing about the Surge is, new version or old version, they both have some parts that are removable.

What is stopping a fellow member from sending you a set of cutter inserts?  Anything?

ca Offline Walley

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 04:58:19 AM
well as i said, Leatherman is going to send me some at no cost so it will work out this time.
I'm just surprised that we have some dealers around with a wall full of Leatherman tools of all sorts, sheaths, bit kits, replacement parts for the signal and everything i see listed on the Leatherman.ca website, but the cutter inserts aren't available anywhere to us?
don't they think that anyone who EDC's a brick the size of a surge would be capable of installing them?
they are for real men. and real men come from Canada!  :salute:

maybe they are banned here because they can be used for nefarious purposes? like fixing older tools instead of buying new ones all the time like a good Canadian should do to help stimulate the economy. even though they are probably made in USA (or china?) anyways.
there must be a politician somewhere to blame for this... most likely Justin Trudeau.
sorry.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:42 AM
Try here. https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Leatherman-930350-Multi-Tool-Replacement-154CM-Wire-Hard-Wire-Cutter-Inserts/381138644381?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20180306143916%26meid%3Dab4e50551ef24c9386eca13666d05a8e%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D232663009035%26itm%3D381138644381&_trksid=p2056116.c100935.m2460

See if you can place an order for a set.
Edit: I think I set it to ship to Canada, but am not sure if it worked. :think:
It says free shipping when I set it to ship to Canada, but it could be changing it, because of my browser location settings. :ahhh
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:53:46 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:46 PM
It's odd that they say they don't sell them in Canada- you can buy them at Mountain Equipment Co Op, and I believe that they will ship them free to the store nearest you if they aren't currently in stock there.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5055-893/Replacement-Cutter-Inserts--Rebar-Surge

I'm only a few blocks away from the Ottawa store and I'd be happy to pick up a set and send them on to you if there isn't a store nearby.

I will send a message off to my contacts at Leatherman and see if I can find out what the deal is with this.  I could understand if they didn't want to send parts for a Surge with the current CBSA issues, but as they also fit the Rebar and other, non- OH models I would imagine that doesn't apply.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Walley

Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 06:50:38 PM
thanks Grant, I'm ok for now as long as leatherman sends me the replacements they have promised. but thanks for your offer!
I noticed this note on their web page "This item is only available online and is not available in stores" so i wonder if they are shipping them to us directly from USA?
I thought the same about the CBSA issues but I can't imagine why the cutter inserts would be a problem, especially since i can order a Damascus replacement knife blade from TTC with no problems crossing the border.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:53:59 PM by Walley »

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 06:58:43 PM
Other than being that I bought it locally for cheap, the main reason I chose an older Surge was that when my ST300 pliers were broken when loaned to a moron, they broke right at the base of the cutters (I feel the milling out for the cutters created a weak point) and that if Leatherman goes out of business  the cutters might not be available years down the road. Back in the fifties, a company made a pair of pliers with replaceable cutters, and the replaceable cutters can't be found (plus they must have been a really bad idea--no dedicated pair of pliers is made with replaceable cutters today). In my mind, if you avoid cutting any heavy steel wire (esp. spring steel) and stay out of live current, you shouldn't ever need to replace the cutters.  I have a pair of linesman's pliers with nippers on the sides specifically for hard wire, and those are what I typically carry

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:48:30 PM
Other than being that I bought it locally for cheap, the main reason I chose an older Surge was that when my ST300 pliers were broken when loaned to a moron, they broke right at the base of the cutters (I feel the milling out for the cutters created a weak point) and that if Leatherman goes out of business  the cutters might not be available years down the road. Back in the fifties, a company made a pair of pliers with replaceable cutters, and the replaceable cutters can't be found (plus they must have been a really bad idea--no dedicated pair of pliers is made with replaceable cutters today). In my mind, if you avoid cutting any heavy steel wire (esp. spring steel) and stay out of live current, you shouldn't ever need to replace the cutters.  I have a pair of linesman's pliers with nippers on the sides specifically for hard wire, and those are what I typically carry

I also have 2 old Surges and none of the newer ones, because of the wire cutters among other things.  :tu:

like with my Gerber tools, I much prefer the standard ones and have not had many problems with those, of course YMMV  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:40:37 PM
I don't know if MEC sends stuff from the US- they are a totally Canadian company, but I suppose it is possible that they have warehouses in different places.  Logistically it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, as the shipping, import duties and wait times would work against them, especially when they already have warehouses in Canada.

At any rate, I have asked Leatherman to look into it, and I will let you know if they get back to me on it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline scottdill

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 02:01:52 PM
This looks solved for now but Blades Canada / Warriors & Wonders has them   Great site you should know about anyway.... :tu:

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Leatherman/Leatherman_Wire_Cutter_Insert

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:04:18 PM by scottdill »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24