Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Only police can use OHO blade

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Only police can use OHO blade
on: April 24, 2018, 09:41:55 AM
I was thinking of changing my name to Rico-3 for this post    ;)    :pok:

So we are doing a bit of work tidying up the 111mm SAKs in the Wiki .
Part of this work has involved digging around in some of the old catalogues - In the 2006 catalogue I found this very interesting excerpt - See pic below

When the liner lock 111mms came in, they were very much targeted at the emergency and rescue services ......
The section of the catalogue below is even called: "Services Pocket Tools with lock-blade and lock-screwdriver"
It's a slightly strange concept that slide-lock is OK for the general public - But services people need liner locks - But 'Hey Ho - Eh?'

The text in the middle says that one of the models 0.8461.M04DE is not available for retail sale - That's OK - It's the GAK - So fair enough.

The sentence that really got me was this one at the bottom:
"Please sell the models with one hand opening blade (M) only to the military, police, fireguards and other public services".

So Vic are telling their wholesale customers that they cannot sell knives with OHO  blades to the general public   ???  - Or have I misunderstood something?
Wow - I am gob smacked - Who are Vic to dictate who can use what?  ..... Try telling that to Spyderco   ......  Or saying that today 

Amazing    :o
Police OHO.JPG
* Police OHO.JPG (Filesize: 86.23 KB)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:43:29 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Only police can use OHO blade
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:01:33 AM
Jokes on them, I have two with oho blades.
Seriously though, that's weird. Maybe it's only for Europe?  :think:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:02:49 AM
OHO is strictly regulated in Switzerland, I think it's as simple as that.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:05:36 AM
Hm, seems I was referring to the older laws. I think they changed the law for the 2008 Soldier.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 10:06:17 AM
But the 2006 catalog would probably pre-date changes of the law on cause of the 2008 Soldier. :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:31 AM
Hm, seems I was referring to the older laws. I think they changed the law for the 2008 Soldier.
I was always rather amazed that they changed the law because of the Soldier 2008..... wow!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:18:44 AM
The 111mm GAK in my collection was bought NIB from a retailer?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:40:01 PM
Many dealers will sell anything to anyone, and as long as they don't get caught, will continue to do so.  Also, different instructions are issued to different regions.  For places like Europe where you have a different set of laws everywhere it's probably easiest to just err on the side of caution and tell everyone not to sell stuff like that unless it is to authorized people.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 01:55:56 PM
Many dealers will sell anything to anyone, and as long as they don't get caught, will continue to do so.  Also, different instructions are issued to different regions.  For places like Europe where you have a different set of laws everywhere it's probably easiest to just err on the side of caution and tell everyone not to sell stuff like that unless it is to authorized people.

Def

true.

Germany, Spain, France, and other countries frown on or directly ban OHO Blades, and they are seen as "Police and Military only" so it's prudent that they comment that especially being a company so big and selling on so many countries with varying laws.  :salute:

Similar things with Boker, Puma and Muela (regarding lengths, autos, locks, double edges...) can be seen on EU dealer catalogs

Also, per your quote they say "Please sell" and not impose or use other strict wording (Must, Should, Can, Are allowed, Ought to...sell) in their petition  :tu:
Maybe is typical Swiss politeness and way of saying things but it doesn't sound too harsh or prohibitive to me
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:57:04 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 04:35:04 PM
The knife store in my town has a small display of auto knives. In Virginia, you can't carry or buy  an automatic unless you are active duty military or police (who can only carry them on duty), but you can own them (I guess that's what's called a grandfather clause). They can only be sold to active duty military and law enforcement. They'll only sell automatics to police and military with the proper credentials. Similar to the way Spyderco does it.   Here, I see the occasional auto at flea markets in my county, but they're mostly cheap crap.  Geez, I think I might as well move to Tennesee where the laws state basically "anything goes" in terms of carry.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:50:11 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 04:48:16 PM

Def

Makes sense. There are certain knife laws that only apply to specific cities in my state and some retailers outside of those cities abide by those laws to be cautious even though it is legal for them to sell those specific knives.
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:34:10 PM
But the 2006 catalog would probably pre-date changes of the law on cause of the 2008 Soldier. :)
Probably this... Before that OHO was illegal to the general public (not sure, it might have been possible to get one with the correct papers for weapons)

I was always rather amazed that they changed the law because of the Soldier 2008..... wow!
Its a fairly simple story... EU law (while Switzerland is not part of the EU we have adopted many of their laws and also have many contracts with the EU) requires that something like getting a new knife for the military is open for everybody to make a bid. To avoid that, they upgraded the knife to a weapon (EU definition). Weapons contract do not need to be open for international bidders. Basically, the Swiss Army Knife is our ambassador for the Made in Switzerland label. So, while Victorinox/Wenger were the ones most directly profiting from it, its the whole Swiss industry that was interested in protecting that. Of course it was also a matter of pride...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 03:13:21 PM
Probably this... Before that OHO was illegal to the general public (not sure, it might have been possible to get one with the correct papers for weapons)

Its a fairly simple story... EU law (while Switzerland is not part of the EU we have adopted many of their laws and also have many contracts with the EU) requires that something like getting a new knife for the military is open for everybody to make a bid. To avoid that, they upgraded the knife to a weapon (EU definition). Weapons contract do not need to be open for international bidders. Basically, the Swiss Army Knife is our ambassador for the Made in Switzerland label. So, while Victorinox/Wenger were the ones most directly profiting from it, its the whole Swiss industry that was interested in protecting that. Of course it was also a matter of pride...

Could they not open for international bidders and then simply fail them during testing for not being Victorinox?  :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 11:25:06 PM
Hey
Thanks for all your replies folks.
And yes restricting sales for potential legal reasons wiill be why they said that.
So Vic were being helpful rather than controlling/paternalistic!!

Still a little strange that it's in the catalogue which I assumed was international, and knife laws vary from country to countryl
 - Although I do know they usually had a diiferent catalogue for Swiss Army Brands - Their US distributor at the time.

Still a little confused about the change in the law though Mr E. Is a knife still classified as a weapon? Or just an OHO knife?
Or has that all changed now - As it does not matter anymore as Vic have the 2008 Soldier contract!!

I am also pretty sure I read somewhere that the Swiss Forces did go out to internatinional tender for the 2008 Soldier and Vic had to bid along with everyone else ??? :think:

Could they not open for international bidders and then simply fail them during testing for not being Victorinox?  :D
Or this  :tu:   
I know a lot of this happens in business and also hiring.
eg A company has to advertise publicly for a new position/hire - so they do that - then hire their mate/the person they had in mind all along!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:43:04 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 01:47:04 AM
The knife store in my town has a small display of auto knives. In Virginia, you can't carry or buy  an automatic unless you are active duty military or police (who can only carry them on duty), but you can own them (I guess that's what's called a grandfather clause). They can only be sold to active duty military and law enforcement. They'll only sell automatics to police and military with the proper credentials. Similar to the way Spyderco does it.   Here, I see the occasional auto at flea markets in my county, but they're mostly cheap crap.  Geez, I think I might as well move to Tennesee where the laws state basically "anything goes" in terms of carry.

I just got back from nearly a month in Tennessee where I carried an auto knife the whole time and used it often. Never got even a sideways glance. Very refreshing :tu:
I also rented a fully automatic AR-15 at a range which was a blast >:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 11:56:56 AM
Living in Tennessee my whole life I guess I have taken this for granted and if not for places like MTO I would have no idea how resticted knives were in other parts of the country or world :o :cheers:

I think most of the states that surround us are more lenient as well but not exactly sure on their laws specifically :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%