Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New PFD- Maybe I will live after all!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New PFD- Maybe I will live after all!
on: April 24, 2018, 03:14:29 PM
For those not familiar with the term, PFD stands for Personal Flotation Device, more commonly known as a Life Jacket or Life Vest, even though they are technically not the same thing.  A life jacket is designed to increase survivability of debilitated persons by rotating them to a face up position and keeping their heads above water until they can be rescued, while a PFD is merely designed to add buoyancy to keep a conscious person afloat until they can self rescue.  Because of this distinction, a PFD is a lot more comfortable to wear all the time, especially when doing things like paddling.

More info here:
http://www.simcoemuskokahealth.org/Topics/InjuryPrevention/WaterSafety/LifejacketsandPFDs.aspx

Okay, mandatory safety lesson is over, it’s time to get into the meat of it!

When I first started paddling I bought a nice Coleman waistcoat style neoprene vest, thinking that it would be ideal as it was a lot less bulky than traditional type life jackets, and the amount of flexibility it had should have been great for kayaking.  I was wrong- sort of.  The flexibility was nice, but the length of it tended to force the vest up around my ears when paddling (you can see the bottom part fetched up on the seat in the photo above), so I decided to invest in an inflatable type PFD.  It is a great PFD for wearing on a power or sail boat as it is quite comfortable otherwise, so I gave it to my parents to keep on their pontoon boat to ensure they have enough life jackets for everyone that may visit and want to go for a nice boat ride.

I love my inflatable- it is a manual type one that inflates when you pull the cord which punctures the cylinder and inflates the bladder in about a second.  You can also get automatic ones (don’t buy an automatic one) and hydrostatic ones (if you think you want an automatic one, get a hydrostatic one) but I got the manual only one on sale at Canadian Tire for a reasonable price and I bought it.  If you should wear a PFD but don’t because they are awkward and bulky, get an inflatable as it really does feel like you aren’t wearing anything, so chances are you will be wearing it when you need it.

My inflatable happens to be camouflage, but the bladder is bright yellow, so if you ever are in trouble, you’ll be easier to spot.  The unfortunate part of this PFD is that it is so comfortable that a certain woman (I won’t mention names) has decided that it is now her lifejacket, or when she paddles the boat that she also laid claim to!  It is a Roots branded PFD that is either a rebranded Mustang or it is Mustang compatible.  I think it is a rebranded Mustang, but more on why that matters later.

So, I needed another PFD because I didn’t want to go back to the neoprene one, and so I bought a nice fishing oriented Extrasport paddling vest through the local classifieds.  It’s a nice vest and has numerous different sized pockets on it, so it’s handy for carrying a bunch of things, as one would want to do when fishing.  Unfortunately for me, it is also quite bulky, and as I found out last year when I decided to take a dip in the middle of the lake, it makes it very hard to re-enter the boat because of it.  Basically the foam blocks on the chest are thick enough to just reduce your leverage enough that you can’t get into the boat without help.

Plus, being a fishing vest, it’s brown, because it is important to be able to hide from the fishies I guess.  I don’t mind the color really, but I would like to be seen easily if bad things ever seriously happened to me.  I wouldn’t buy a new vest because of this reason, alone, but in the end there are a few reasons I am just not happy with this vest, although there is nothing wrong with it per se.  It is just not what I want in a vest, but it very adequately does the job.

A few days ago however I went to Canadian Tire for something else entirely, and, being me, I decided to “accidentally” take a walk through the outdoors section to see if there was anything new, and there wasn’t, but more importantly, there was something old!

Well, not old, but on clearance- an orange Stearns paddling vest, regularly around $100, on sale for $50!  Needless to say I quickly checked the size, and it was actually the right size for me, despite being the last one on the shelf, so I considered it a sign from above and took it to the cash… after also making sure to pick up the items I had come to the store for initially!

Needless to say, I didn’t need another PFD, but it’s nice to have a spare and this one is a lot more comfortable than the brown one, plus since it is in orange it is probably somewhat safer.

While doing some research for this post I see that it appears to have been discontinued by Stearns, as I don’t see it on their website.  I have also looked at several other Canadian Tire locations to see if I could pick up a few extras, as I know of a few people that might benefit from having a decent PFD, but no luck there.  I guess I got the last one in the city!

I also found out one other thing I wasn’t aware of- the Stearns brand is owned by Coleman, which I guess means I have come full circle since my first PFD was a Coleman.  :D

This PFD is quite comfortable (at least in the house, we will see if it stays that way in a boat!) thanks to several adjustment points around the waist and shoulders and it has a total of four pockets- two open neoprene pockets and two zippered pockets, perfect for more valuable things like a phone, wallet or small camera.

It also has that square mounting point thing on it, which I almost immediately attached my Benchmade River Knife to, mostly to see if it was comfortable to use in that location, as it is on the right side rather than the left as on my other vest.  On the right side is a triangular carabiner, although I am not sure what, if anything I am going to hang there. 

Most likely it will just dangle there and be cute but never be used for anything.

So far I am quite pleased with this PFD and I am looking forward to getting out on the water with it, which hopefully will be sooner rather than later!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: New PFD- Maybe I will live after all!
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 03:15:55 PM
For anyone wondering about inflatable PFD’s, here are the differences and why you should not get an automatic vest unless you know what you are getting into!

NOTE: With regards to inflatable PFD’s, always make sure you buy a Mustang branded model or one listed as being Mustang Compatible.  Mustang is the pre-eminent brand, and you can get refill cartridges for Mustang inflatable PFD’s almost everywhere, from specialty shops (yacht supply stores, canoe/kayak shops, hunting and fishing stores etc) as well as Big Box stores.  Also, don’t stock up on too many extras, as there is an expiry date on the cylinders- pay attention to the dates before you buy them!

A manual PFD will not inflate unless you pull the cord.  All types of inflatable have the cord option, so you can always inflate any of them any time you want.  The manual PFD is the least expensive of the three types and takes the simplest and least expensive refill cartridges.  Additionally, the Manual will also usually accept the cartridges from either of the other types as the cartridge itself is present in all of the types and doesn’t require anything special to work.  If you are away from home, you could consider paying more for another type of cartridge just to keep things going, which is not an option with the others.

An automatic PFD has, in addition to the pull cord, a system that is often based on a dissolving pill that triggers inflation.  This is handy should you fall in and hit your head or panic as the PFD will auto inflate and float you to the surface.  However, I have been out in some very nasty weather, and I have concerns about the PFD inflating on it’s own when being splashed heavily enough or in rain hard enough that the PFD becomes saturated and the pill dissolves, causing the PFD to inflate unexpectedly.  The automatic PFD is more expensive than the manual version, and so are the refill cartridges.

The hydrostatic PFD is the one you actually want if you think you want an automatic PFD.  The automatic adds a degree of safety so that you are covered in the event of an injury, but suffers from the potential for inadvertent activation.  And trust me, if you are getting wet enough that the pill will dissolve, the last thing you want is the PFD exploding around your face while you are trying desperately to control the boat!

The hydrostatic is the most expensive of the three, and the refills are also the most expensive, but this PFD will not inflate unless it is actually needed.  In addition to the pull cord (all types have this) the hydrostatic PFD will not inflate unless legitimately submersed, as it has a pressure sensitive gauge on it.  It knows when it is in the water, versus just being wet.

Also be sure to check your local laws, especially in regards to inflatable PFD’s.  On may types of craft (in Canada at least) you are required to have one PFD or life vest per person on board, but they are not always required to be worn, EXCEPT in the case of inflatable PFD’s as they do not float until activated.  Therefore, they MUST be worn at all times to comply with the law.  This may differ in your area, so please check your local requirements and be safe.  As inflatable PFD’s are the most comfortable types of PFD’s to wear (and trust me, I have tried them all!) you are also more likely to be wearing it when it is needed.

I hope none of you ever need to use a PFD for it’s intended purpose, but please consider this information when purchasing a PFD for any use- kayaking, canoeing, rowboats, power boats, sailboats etc.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:42:27 PM
I have a Sospender automatic one that I bought years ago for fishing. It's super comfortable and I've never had it deploy from getting wet. I could see how it could happen when kayaking though.

DSC01985.JPG
* DSC01985.JPG (Filesize: 330.49 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 04:56:32 PM
I didn't have time to read all of that, but I'd like to say that you two look smashing in those fancy bra's  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 05:02:49 PM
I have a Sospender automatic one that I bought years ago for fishing. It's super comfortable and I've never had it deploy from getting wet. I could see how it could happen when kayaking though.

That's good to know.  How wet have you gotten with it?  The water would have to permeate the cover enough to soak in and dissolve the pill, assuming that is the mechanism used.  Do you have any photos of what the mechanism looks like?  I have only seen the pill types, but there are probably others....

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:20:53 PM
Never too wet, just an occasional rain shower. It's fairly protected from above, water would have to splash upwards and alot of it I think to activate the bobbin.

20180424_110703.jpg
* 20180424_110703.jpg (Filesize: 128.47 KB)
20180424_110730.jpg
* 20180424_110730.jpg (Filesize: 132.88 KB)
20180424_110741.jpg
* 20180424_110741.jpg (Filesize: 163.01 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:21:30 PM
-
20180424_110851.jpg
* 20180424_110851.jpg (Filesize: 116.52 KB)
20180424_110857.jpg
* 20180424_110857.jpg (Filesize: 170.39 KB)
20180424_110901.jpg
* 20180424_110901.jpg (Filesize: 182.29 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:42:07 AM
I didn't have time to read all of that, but I'd like to say that you two look smashing in those fancy bra's  :tu:
Bras with pockets!  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 02:14:16 AM
Thanks for the pics!

I'm on my phone now but I'll be sure to look at them a lot closer when I get to a computer!

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 01:12:04 AM
 :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 12:51:57 PM
I can't really tell how it is triggered, but maybe I am missing something?

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 02:03:47 PM
There is salt pill in the yellow bobbin that dissolves releasing a spring activating the firing pin which punctures the CO2 canister inflating the vest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G-W1CK6eAE

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:58:08 PM
Ok, so exactly what I described then    :D

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:22:57 PM
Ok, so exactly what I described then    :D

Def

Yes  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 02:52:02 PM
It's nice to have accidentally been right once in a while.  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 12:10:50 PM
Just to update this thread....

I paddled one summer with the orange vest, and found it to be very comfortable, and I really appreciated having the pockets.  Unfortunately it also had the bad habit of making me look excessively fat...

Admittedly. much of the problem is the fat that makes me look fat, but this one made me look even more fat.   :facepalm:

That alone wouldn't be enough for me to spend money on another vest, because I'm an overweight 45 year old man in a pink kayak, I obviously gave up caring what other people think long ago, but then I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on an even more comfortable inflatable pfd, and I took it.  Let's face it, the inflatable pfd is way more comfortable than the best paddling vests out there, so it's really a no brainer.

And, it's an automatic vest, the one I told everyone to avoid, and now I have one.  So far my paranoia about spontaneous inflation has been unjustified, and I have gotten it plenty wet in the new kayak, which tends to splash a lot.  And go underwater a lot.  Honestly, if it hasn't inflated after a season in that boat then it's pretty darned safe.  Or it's defective, but I will leave that detail to be filled in on my tombstone!

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 01:24:36 PM
Although self inflating PFDs have come a long way, there's still a fair way for them to go.

The research shows (the research is people jumping or falling into the water, with varying levels of "Self assistance" from activating manual inflation systems, to kicking to turn themselves face-up)
that PFD 100, or PFD type I (not sure what this is called in other countries - basically means it is designed to flip you and support your head) is the safest and best option.

Anything else, including automatic self-inflating alternatives, have a much higher "failure" rate in the event that you are unexpectedly deposited into the wet stuff, and potentially unable to ensure that it inflates correctly, or self-right yourself.

the other major "failure" is that the jacket works (either because the inflation system works, or because it is naturally buoyant) but due to be ill fitting, or straps not correctly cinched you end up not being correctly supported.

You'd look a right silly bugger if you were wearing a life jacket (uhh, personal flotation device...) and still managed to drown....

I wear self inflating PFDs because they meet the requirements and (when not in use) they are simply easier to deal with and are more convenient.

In my own time, I choose to wear a "buoyancy vest" -it's slightly less comfortable and slim, but quite a bit more useful if you're going to end up in the water (and given than I'll often jump off the boat to "swim it in" the floaty vest is handier)

Of course, thanks to my asinine country (uhh, collection of states that all agreed on similar but slightly different laws) whether or not any given vest meets legal requirements can be a bit of a minefield.

FUN FACT - Nowhere (that I know of) requires you to wear a lifejacket (or PFD) once you are actually IN the water - so if you see the cops, just jump overboard, and you're fine!  :dunno: :facepalm:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 02:32:29 PM
For sea paddling my daughter and  i wear a palm kaikoura (one each Mags, we don't share) for river the palm FXr, dunno if palm sell in the US/Canada i think it's a UK company but the pfds are comfortable and good quality. An auto inflatable lifejacket would be a disaster for us, we usually get wet every paddle practicing skills and rescues at the end.
My daughters rowing club prefer the kids use the auto inflatables so we have a few of those as well, they need to be checked yearly by a qualified centre so that does add a cost to their use.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 03:38:15 PM
Weird that your inflatables need to be checked by a qualified professional.  Here there are no such requirements, but if you are stopped and the officers check the date imprinted on the cylinder of your inflatable you could be in trouble.  Still, the cylinders are usually good for (I think?) five years, and the date is pretty obvious on them.  And, if you can replace a light bulb or screw the cap back on a drink bottle then you are qualified to change a cylinder.

I tend to get very wet on my paddling trips as well, especially with my current boat, which is a whitewater hybrid.  It liked to splash and dive under waves, and I learned early on that it must be paddled while wearing a spray skirt, or else it will fill up quickly.  And, I have yet to have my automatic vest self inflate, although I wouldn't be surprised if it did eventually.  I really should stick to a manual, but then the deal was absolutely too good to pass up.

As for their effectiveness, well, I wear them to give me a fighting chance at survival, but honestly I am not that concerned about not.  I have lots of insurance.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 04:38:30 PM
Weird that your inflatables need to be checked by a qualified professional.  Here there are no such requirements, but if you are stopped and the officers check the date imprinted on the cylinder of your inflatable you could be in trouble.  Still, the cylinders are usually good for (I think?) five years, and the date is pretty obvious on them.  And, if you can replace a light bulb or screw the cap back on a drink bottle then you are qualified to change a cylinder.

I think its more about the club insurance then anything else, the cylinders are easy to replace. Then again, we did have a couple older ones condemned a few years ago even though they appeared ok so what do i know ?

We use spraydecks all the time, never paddle without them unless I'm introducing someone to paddling and then thats only on flasmurfer. And always we wear a pfd, not wanting to be political but the debate about pfds doesn't exist here that i've seen on north american forums. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 07:19:53 PM
PFD's are a bit of an argument here, although I am certainly on the "wear the damned thing" side of that argument, which is one of the reasons I like the inflatable.  It gets rid of the "pfd's are uncomfortable" argument.

But it gets a bit more complex here- it is mandatory to have a pfd for everyone in the boat, regardless of type.  So as long as I have a pfd on the kayak somewhere, I am legal.  However, that doesn't apply to inflatables, and they only qualify as pfd's when worn.  The idea being that if a boat ruptures and sinks, standard pfd's will float to the surface and still be functional, while inflatables (manual ones anyway) will continue to the bottom until/unless activated.

Either way, I don't mind wearing my inflatable pfd.  I have been doing it for so long now that it is just a part of doing it, and everyone who comes with me is also highly encouraged to wear them.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 08:20:53 PM
maybe its the model of inflatables I have but i can't see them been any more comfortable then a pfd - my daughter reckons they're no more comfortable then either of her pfd's and in fact they get chafed from the inflatables especially during a day of races. i suppose it's one of those things ?
I do like the look of that extrasport fishing pfd you have.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

this is the palm sea ba I use

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 14, 2020, 10:29:34 PM
That certainly is more substantial than the ones I have!

The camouflage one in the first post is the biggest inflatable I have.  The new one is smaller, closer to the size of Steve's.

If you want to cover postage you can have the Extrasport jacket.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:35 PM

If you want to cover postage you can have the Extrasport jacket.

Thanks Grant that's very generous but I'm good its a nice pfd but I wouldn't use it as I've already got a sea and river ba plus my partner and daughters. Heck I've even got 2 for my dogs must dig them out and post a pic ! :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 12:56:09 AM
this is the palm sea ba I use

(Image removed from quote.)
But we wanted to see you wearing your bra.  :pok:

For sea paddling my daughter and  i wear a palm kaikoura (one each Mags, we don't share) for river the palm FXr, dunno if palm sell in the US/Canada i think it's a UK company but the pfds are comfortable and good quality.
And named after an awesome place I used to live. :dd:
Kaikoura Kayaking 1.jpg
* Kaikoura Kayaking 1.jpg (Filesize: 67.88 KB)
Kaikoura Whale 1.jpg
* Kaikoura Whale 1.jpg (Filesize: 102.73 KB)
Kaikoura 2.jpg
* Kaikoura 2.jpg (Filesize: 88.83 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 01:36:28 AM
Interesting thread boss.  For the limited inshore paddling I do I have to say I've been perfectly happy with my simple Helly Hansen PFD.  Not uncomfortable or overly bulky for my use.  Some pockets would be nice mind you. 
20180816_094459.jpg
* 20180816_094459.jpg (Filesize: 115.54 KB)
20180816_094511.jpg
* 20180816_094511.jpg (Filesize: 174.59 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 02:18:54 AM
Mine's a Hutchwilco - probably this one: https://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/products/buoyancy-vestaids-c1140/aquavest-classic-adult/
I'm not sure if they are found outside of Ne Zealand.

Not long after I bought it I discovered you can get PFDs with pockets (which I would have much preferred) and I have had FOMO ever since.  :facepalm:

https://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/products/buoyancy-vestaids-c1140/trek/ :dd:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 11:18:22 AM
In reverse order of comments I saw -

You can get Hutchwilcos in Aus, but that's not a huge leap from NZ anyway  :cheers:

I have huge opinions on whether or not I should have to wear a PFD (see my comment on the fact that you only legally have to wear one while you're not actually in any immediate risk of drowning - because you're on a -ing vessel! (a vessel that, ideally, is designed to NOT sink) once you're wet, you don't have to have it on...) but that's a fight I have evidently lost for the time being, and as of a few years ago I must (according to the laws of men, not physics) wear some variation of PFD or lifejacket in any circumstances that I am remotely near...but not in...the water..... ::)

and finally - In Australia inspection depends on the manufacturer - they get to choose whether or not it must be serviced by them (or a licensed servicing agency) or if the end user is allowed to service it. This is usually written in big letters somewhere on the equipment, and the Cops just have to accept whatever the manufacturer guidelines are.

I didn't check that last statement state-by-state, so if you're an aussie-  find out what your local tossers department of making smurf up as they go says on the matter before going out on the water....

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 01:41:08 PM
But we wanted to see you wearing your bra.  :pok:

Stop you're making me blush

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85