Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

St. Louis gets 'Limebike'

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
St. Louis gets 'Limebike'
on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:38 PM
When I was in Chicago a while back, I saw a bunch of bike racks with rentable bikes. I thought that was cool. The minor downside is 1) getting to one of the racks and 2) returning a bike to one of hte racks when you're done.

Now, there are a couple bike rental companies that use GPS tags on their bike, and a wheel lock, and you just activate them by paying through your smart phone, using a code scanner, or typing in the bike's ID number. Specifically in St. Louis, the companies are 'Limebike' and 'Ofo'.

There are now two companies offering these bikes for rent in St. Louis. I came across them yesterday, while taking a walk around the neighborhood where a friend lives.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2018/04/16/bike-sharing-has-come-to-st-louis-effective-now

Just one of those weird technological advances I thought was worth mentioning.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: St. Louis gets 'Limebike'
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 06:08:31 PM
We used to have those kinds of things in Halifax, and we probably have them here in Ottawa too, although I don't recall seeing it specifically.

I think it's a great idea ad I like seeing these kinds of things everywhere.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 06:09:21 PM
It sounds pretty sweet.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:38:41 PM
I pretty much try to stay outside the City Limits myself.

I don't even like driving on 40 past the City in general and they just picked up and slid the west bound Poplar lanes 9' a few weeks ago ad that sounds sketchy to me too!

I have been to IKEA but west of Skinker is my general rule and I grew up there in Clayton 5 doors from the city too!

Different Strokes.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 07:18:22 AM
We've got so many of those bikes here that some communities are beginning to think they are a nuisance.  Its odd to see one in a random area thats for sure.  I've read recently that some homeless have figured out a way to "hijack" them.  We had docked bike and scooter stands but these dockless bikes have really taken over.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 09:35:28 AM
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 03:40:35 PM
I'd imagine at some point the bike will need maintenance, then what?  At some point the bikes will need to be removed from service, then what?  From the picture it looks like China is experiencing what may be inevitable in cities like mine. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:45 PM
Cars are only a recent thing for the masses in China to be fair though too and by the masses I mean almost no one has a car at all or ever will.

Bike to person rtio will always be exponentially higher there than most places we live.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:10 PM
I'd imagine at some point the bike will need maintenance, then what?  At some point the bikes will need to be removed from service, then what?  From the picture it looks like China is experiencing what may be inevitable in cities like mine.

I assume maintenance issues are reported to the company, and the company dispatches someone to fix the bike.

I know about the issues China is having, but the mindset in China is a good deal different than in the US. In China, it seems that if something works, then just flood the market with that product. That's not how it works in the U.S., necessarily.

us Offline redmond

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 12:19:46 AM
These are everywhere in Seattle (along with the bikes from two other companies). The biggest problems have been having them commandeered by the homeless, sidewalk clutter, having them thrown into lakes, rivers, Puget Sound, and most insidious, there have been many reports of brake cables being tampered with and cut.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 01:04:17 PM
So last night I actually spotted one of the bikes in Brentwood a good distance from the Downtown area where they are supposed to be concentrated!

I was surprised for sure and would not have given it a second thought if not for this thread.

Then on the Local News there was a story about how the bikes are being abused and turning up all over the area already?

People are just crazy and can not seem to appreciate others good intentions,know what I mean?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 05:55:15 PM

I assume maintenance issues are reported to the company, and the company dispatches someone to fix the bike.

I know about the issues China is having, but the mindset in China is a good deal different than in the US. In China, it seems that if something works, then just flood the market with that product. That's not how it works in the U.S., necessarily.

Some U.S. cities have the bikes and they work out decent. My little/medium size town of Georgetown Texas has the bees for use around the 'downtown' area.

Unfortunately, a lot of good ideas from the rest of the world don't work in the U. S. because of the wasteful mindset of Americans. Wasteful. It seems like the U.S. is divided into two camps; the so called derisively named hippy tree huggers that embrace the idea of hybrid cars, bicycles, conservation and ecology, and the other camp of the 'redneck' jacked up pickup truck driving selfish consumers that will lay waste to everything they can, and the heck with the environment.

I'm hoping that next generation of Americans will have a more open mind before the planet is totally trashed. Weaning ourselves from gas guzzling vehicles would be a nice start.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 06:12:21 PM
Really???

For many if us Bicycle Riding is not a realistic option at all.

Does that put me into the Redneck camp to you too?

If it were only that simple.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:54 PM
Really???

Where did he say that not driving a bike makes you a selfish redneck?  :facepalm::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:36:54 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 06:58:57 PM
Really???

Where did he say that not driving a bike makes you a selfish redneck?  :facepalm::)

In fairness Pabs, he did imply it by saying if you weren't in one camp then you were in the other "redneck" camp, which if I was American then I would probably take issue with too.... but I'm not, so I don't give a toss.  :D

Anyway, life's too short to get irate about things... and I don't think any offence was intended was it?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 07:44:44 PM
Really???

In fairness Pabs, he did imply it by saying if you weren't in one camp then you were in the other "redneck" camp, which if I was American then I would probably take issue with too.... but I'm not, so I don't give a toss.  :D

Anyway, life's too short to get irate about things... and I don't think any offence was intended was it?
I’m chill.... there’s usually a middle ground.  :tu:
relaxes

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:17 PM
Really???

I’m chill.... there’s usually a middle ground.  :tu:
relaxes

Exactly! Too many people go from one extreme or the other*... the middle bit's much more comfy and easygoing.  :2tu:

*sharp stuff, tools and gadgets exempt from that statement.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 10:00:45 PM
I think it is all really just according to your own point of view in the end.

But to imply that those who do not act like you do are in one group pretty much ignores the idea that we each have our own point of view from which we decide how to act and live in general and with each situation.

Like I said earlier if it were only so simple it would be one thing but it is not.

Honestly for me the older I get the more I appreciate this but sadly this is hardly something universal with age.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 06:02:30 PM
I totally forgot about these bikes.  They were all over then IT was OVER.  Haven't seen these bikes anywhere.  Electric scooters seem to have replaced them but not in the number I saw the bikes. 

Anyones still seeing these bikes? 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 06:29:43 AM
They've done this, and a similar thing with scooters, in multiple capital cities in Australia.

It has worked to varying degrees.

At least one company pulled out of the Bike game after the locals of Melbourne indicated how they felt...(mostly by putting them in the Yarra river) - That was early on though, I believe subsequent efforts have had more sophisticated systems (including a loud alarm that goes off continuously if the item is moved without being "logged onto" - which I thoroughly enjoy, as whenever I am in a city, I move the things off footpaths or driveways with a sort of "helpful spite" knowing full well that their "security" system will go bananas - hoping to encourage locals to complain (or remove them via other means)

it has some merit, but I don't think cost effectiveness or reduced waste generation are among the benefits....

Depending on your politics, you might not also like foreign/corporate entities having hundreds (thousands?) of computers running around your city - at a minimum they are tracking common points of origin, destinations, and routes - and that is the most benign thing they could be doing...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 03:46:01 PM
We had reports locally of some who showed their displeasure of the bike by deconstructing them.  Lots of homeless also found "free" transportation.  The scooter were another issue as some incidents with careless riders ended badly for pedestrians.  Inexperienced riders also were hurt as well.  New rules/laws were quickly in place to try to deal with these scooters.  I still don't see then often but they are out on the streets. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD