Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade tough tool warranty

Offline stugumby

Schrade tough tool warranty
on: April 24, 2018, 10:22:39 PM
Well the lower handle rivets broke off at the head, so now the folding tools are a flopping. So who owns schrade these days, is it taylor tools or battenfeld technologies? Did a google and got 3 differnt answrs, also im almost the original owner but got it as a gift so never registered it.  Going to do some more searching and mail it off , will see what happens.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Schrade tough tool warranty
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:09:59 AM
You'll probably get a Taylor brands made Tough Tool in return. I don't think they bother fixing the old ones. Taylor produces the Tough Tool now. :facepalm:

If I were you, I'd try and locate a pivot pin with screws to put in where the rivet broke. The Taylor version isn't awful, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original U.S.A versions.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:42:29 AM
Another vote for fixing it yourself :salute: :D

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:36:59 AM
Agree with above. You could try fixing it yourself. Or, get a Taylor brand one and salvage its post screw. I am just shooting this off my mouth. I dun know if it fits...

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:42:42 AM
If it's just the pin, then putting a barrel screw would be the easier option.
Is it an old USA one, or a new one?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 02:53:33 PM
They are owned by Taylor Cutlery and they will replace your good tool with something that is entirely undesirable. the Taylor made Tough Tool has had any and all Toughness bred out of it and it should have been renamed to the Wet Noodle Tool after the guy who decided to make it out of the cheapest recycled pot metal they could find.

I am going to echo everyone else's statement that you try to find a replacement piece, even if it means buying a junked Tough Tool and using it for parts.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline stugumby

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 05:00:56 PM
this is a taylor tool chinese with riveted handle not the torx head pillar and post, i shipped it yesterday, i got an email from bittenfeld technologies who now owns schrade and they wanted a pic. oh well its shipped. Thanks for the ideas, i know lowes sells small pillar and post screws.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 07:35:47 PM
this is a taylor tool chinese with riveted handle not the torx head pillar and post, i shipped it yesterday, i got an email from bittenfeld technologies who now owns schrade and they wanted a pic. oh well its shipped. Thanks for the ideas, i know lowes sells small pillar and post screws.

I was sure the USA made ones had rivets, and the torx screw version was the cheap, poor quality Taylor el-crappos.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline stugumby

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 02:28:28 PM
Got it in the mail yesterday, new torx screws tool with sheath, STN1, At least they stand behind their product and replaced it quickly. Overall a rather pleasant warranty experience, my only cost was shipping to them. :mail:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 03:37:46 PM
Good to hear they didn't give you anu heartburn over replacing it. And that was a fast turnaround.  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 07:53:39 PM
Got it in the mail yesterday, new torx screws tool with sheath, STN1, At least they stand behind their product and replaced it quickly. Overall a rather pleasant warranty experience, my only cost was shipping to them. :mail:

Really glad they sent you a replacement. But it sounds like they sent u a more recent Chinese made one? If so, how do you find the quality in comparison?

Offline stugumby

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 11:10:17 PM
appears to be the same, the older tool i had had china stamped in the inside of the handle. since this is new its a bit stiff on the few locking tools but ok so far.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 08:23:53 AM
Hmm.. Ok this is confusing.. All along I thought u had a USA made TT. But having China stamp in the handle of a riveted handle.. Thats new to me. But I do not know much about Schrade history to start with. Well. Still cool that they replaced the tool and you are happy with it.  :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 11:56:30 AM
They have been making the Tough Tool for several years in China now I believe :think: So even if he has had it for say 10 years (a long time in my book :D ) then it would still have China stamped in the handle :salute:

Glad they took care of you in the warranty :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD