Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What to do with it?

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
What to do with it?
on: April 26, 2018, 01:19:24 AM
So I got this old Viking-style knife back from the vic spa. They can't help as they don't have stocks of these blades. Kinda guessed as much but I was still hoping they'd be able to do something somehow.

My question is, then, what should I do with it? The rest of it is in great shape. Whoever snapped the blade must've done it near the beginning of the knife's life.

Break it down for parts?
Salvage the blade from another similar knife in bad shape but with a good blade?
Rebuild it with posts and screws?

I doubt I'd be able to peen these rivets anywhere close to what they look like now. I'd also be too scared to break the scales...

What do you think?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: What to do with it?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:26:01 AM
If you are worried about breaking the scales or peening you could always just reshape the blade into a awl or “Gerber Mr. Pinchy” style awl and refurbish and clean the knife as well as you can without taking it apart.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:20:30 AM
So I got this old Viking-style knife back from the vic spa. They can't help as they don't have stocks of these blades. Kinda guessed as much but I was still hoping they'd be able to do something somehow.

My question is, then, what should I do with it? The rest of it is in great shape. Whoever snapped the blade must've done it near the beginning of the knife's life.

Break it down for parts?
Salvage the blade from another similar knife in bad shape but with a good blade?
Rebuild it with posts and screws?

I doubt I'd be able to peen these rivets anywhere close to what they look like now. I'd also be too scared to break the scales...

What do you think?
(Image removed from quote.)

Is it possible to get a slightly larger blade and regrind it to the proper profile? If that isn't feasible then patiently searching for one with a decent blade or a blade that can be restored would be my next thought, which you listed as one of the options. I'd put it away and store it for a while to see if a solution with another trashed knife with a usable blade or some other alternative emerges. A form of "sleeping on it" for a while.

John

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:46:17 PM
If you are worried about breaking the scales or peening you could always just reshape the blade into a awl or “Gerber Mr. Pinchy” style awl and refurbish and clean the knife as well as you can without taking it apart.

+1
bladeless SAKs have their uses  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 01:52:58 PM
Nothing.  It's served its purpose, now keep it as an interesting historical artefact.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 01:29:05 AM

Well it already has an awesome awl... Reriveting this would be a nightmare. I feel the best would be to replace the rivets with posts and flush screws... Still pretty tricky... Also there's no easy way to pull that broken tool out so I doubt reshaping it would work...

Is it possible to get a slightly larger blade and regrind it to the proper profile? If that isn't feasible then patiently searching for one with a decent blade or a blade that can be restored would be my next thought, which you listed as one of the options. I'd put it away and store it for a while to see if a solution with another trashed knife with a usable blade or some other alternative emerges. A form of "sleeping on it" for a while.

John

I could find a blade to fit in there... Tricky part would be to put it back in and peen these rivets without damaging the scales. Maybe I could get Vic to do it?

+1
bladeless SAKs have their uses  :salute:

It does still have a small blade though...

Nothing.  It's served its purpose, now keep it as an interesting historical artefact.

I received it a few weeks ago and immediately brought it to Vic.. Hasn't served any purpose for me yet :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%