Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the sedan going extinct?

Aloha · 71 · 2281

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
on: April 26, 2018, 03:27:13 PM
I see older ones on the road but mostly I see crossovers.  I've been reading that Ford http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/22/news/companies/american-sedans-future/index.html as well as other Detroit makers feel buyers aren't as interested in sedans. 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Is the sedan going extinct?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:09:12 PM
:popcorn:
Rise of the small cars!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:10:22 PM
Thats a neat car.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:14:26 PM
These days SUVs & trucks (small & medium sized) seem to be the favourite flavour.  If people aren't buying a particular type of car then manufacturers have no choice but to change to something customers are willing to buy, or else they will have to shut up shop.  This is what happened to all Australian car manufacturers over the last few years.  Goodbye Holden (owned by GM), Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi  :(    Unfortunately all the jobs in the associated new car components supply industry went as well.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:15:54 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:55 PM
These days SUVs & trucks (small & medium sized) seem to be the favourite flavour.  If people aren't buying a particular type of car then manufacturers have no choice but to change to something customers are willing to buy, or else they will have to shut up shop.  This is what happened to all Australian car manufacturers over the last few years.  Goodbye Holden (owned by GM), Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi  :(    Unfortunately all the jobs in the associated new car components supply industry went as well.

Really? No more Holden?  :drink:

I had once reserved some silly 3 cylinder city car at some rental shop in Australia. When I arrived at the airport though they had rented out all but one car. Thus I had to get that one instead. It was a brand new Holden sedan with just a few miles on it, and some 340 horsepower or thereabouts under the bonnet. I wasn't complaining even though I'd never heard of the brand before :)

It was a comfy ride that week. Really too bad if they aren't around anymore.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:10:42 PM
I see older ones on the road but mostly I see crossovers.  I've been reading that Ford http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/22/news/companies/american-sedans-future/index.html as well as other Detroit makers feel buyers aren't as interested in sedans.

I think the title of this thread is a little bit misleading?

Sedans are not in danger but American Made Sedans might be and deserve to be too.

If they would build Sedans as compelling as Toyota & Honda then they would still find making them a viable option I think.

American manufacturers have had more than enough time to be competitive here but have not gotten the job done and this is just the price they will pay for it.

I don't take any pleasure in this observation but it is pretty obvious if you drive and compare cars what is going on.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:05:36 PM
I always advise friends or family who are looking for a new car to not get a sedan. A hatchback / 5 door / stationwagon is so much more useful should you ever need to move that set of drawers, drop your lawnmower off to be fixed/serviced, etc.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 12:09:05 AM
Certainly not my intention to mislead  :salute:.  True enough that American made sedans as compared have lagged behind.  While unfortunate I am not brand loyal and my Toyota was made in Texas so theres that.  All my friends shifted to Honda or Toyota over the years.  I know I did and do not see myself going back any time soon. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:29 AM
Certainly not my intention to mislead  :salute:.  True enough that American made sedans as compared have lagged behind.  While unfortunate I am not brand loyal and my Toyota was made in Texas so theres that.  All my friends shifted to Honda or Toyota over the years.  I know I did and do not see myself going back any time soon.

Well that article was really about Ford and I consider Fiat/Chrysler irrelevant anyway personally at least but the idea that the Domestic companies would stop building sedans while the Japanese continue to build AND sell them here is even more to the point I was making really.

My Tundra is from Indiana
Element is from Ohio
4runner from Japan
Sprinter from Dusseldorf!

All are just better to me than any domestic company made vehicle that I have had and I have had a bunch.

The F150 I actually had no problems with in any way too but it was crude in ways anyway.

So clearly WE can build them better but Detroit just can not seem too somehow?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:42:59 AM by ezdog »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 09:40:37 AM
As it should!  :salute:

I could never understand the 3-box sedan, it's inherently inefficient.......the space above the boot to the roof line is wasted.

Many car manufacturers have since shown station wagons can be cool......

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:32:09 PM
There is actually news recently from Ford that they intend to more or less stop making sedans in North America:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/27/ford-sedans-consumers-affordability/

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:33:57 PM by smiller43147 »
- Steve

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:49 PM
As it should!  :salute:

I could never understand the 3-box sedan, it's inherently inefficient.......the space above the boot to the roof line is wasted.
I'm with the GG man.

Although you are meant to be able to see behind with the rear view mirror so you can't use all the space.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:46:18 PM by Syncop8r »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 12:04:19 AM
I  am still using my    rolls and merc sedans I got last year for a laugh and they are still popular at the club.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 07:43:46 AM
I never liked sedans. I learned to drive in my father’s nightmare Ford Cortina. Since then we only bought hatchbacks and one volume MPVs and now we drive two crossovers.  They are much more practical and tough on the local roads that easily destroy suspensions and exhausts if you aren’t careful.
US is an industrial giant and technology spearhead, but European and then Japanese and Korean cars are much better. I remember NY Taxis. Huge on the outside, no room for my knees inside. Crazy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:46:00 AM by kkokkolis »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 08:34:30 AM
I never liked sedans. I learned to drive in my father’s nightmare Ford Cortina.
Ha I inherited the family car for a while - Mum's Mk3 Cortina.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 09:12:25 AM
I never liked sedans. I learned to drive in my father’s nightmare Ford Cortina.
Ha I inherited the family car for a while - Mum's Mk3 Cortina.
I thought that Cortina was Windows Siri...

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 12:24:52 PM
Speak English please  :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 12:46:28 PM
Speak English please  :pok:
My sincere apologies, it appears that a revealing difference between the expressions, or rather, "words", known as "Cortina" and "Cortana", unfortunately, temporarily rendered my writings unintelligible.  :angel:

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 02:01:52 PM
The Cortina had windows, siriously.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 01:40:34 AM
I drive a sedan. I've owned a number of them. I like the size, I like the handling. And wished every single one of them was a station wagon at least once a month. But station wagons are over priced on the second hand market around here. Not a crossover, which is a sedan trying to simultaniously pretend it is an SUV and not a minivan, built on a car frame with screwed up center of gravity and reduced fuel economy, but an actual station wagon. BIG honking trunk that isn't 18" tall, where you can flip down the back seats and stick stuff in the back, while still getting good mileage when you don't have a quarter ton of stuff in the back.

DEATH TO THE SEDAN! LONG LIVE THE STATION WAGON!!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:47:13 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 04:32:52 PM
I drive a sedan. I've owned a number of them. I like the size, I like the handling. And wished every single one of them was a station wagon at least once a month. But station wagons are over priced on the second hand market around here. Not a crossover, which is a sedan trying to simultaniously pretend it is an SUV and not a minivan, built on a car frame with screwed up center of gravity and reduced fuel economy, but an actual station wagon. BIG honking trunk that isn't 18" tall, where you can flip down the back seats and stick stuff in the back, while still getting good mileage when you don't have a quarter ton of stuff in the back.

DEATH TO THE SEDAN! LONG LIVE THE STATION WAGON!!

The last two vehicles I've bought have been station wagons (2008 Skoda Octavia vRS, then a 2017 VW Golf R).  I didn't give the sedan (actually hatch) versions much thought at all, as the wagons are much more versatile, and as a bonus I think they look better too.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 08:45:09 PM
After owning and driving trucks for years and years, I needed something smaller and more economical. I looked at SUVs and minivans, but decided on a sedan, the first car I have had since high school. I just love the thing, great mileage, quiet, easy to maneuver, good ride and handling.  :) I still have an old pickup truck to haul stuff, but I rarely drive it anymore, so my car works great.  :tu:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 09:23:01 PM
After owning and driving trucks for years and years, I needed something smaller and more economical. I looked at SUVs and minivans, but decided on a sedan, the first car I have had since high school. I just love the thing, great mileage, quiet, easy to maneuver, good ride and handling.  :) I still have an old pickup truck to haul stuff, but I rarely drive it anymore, so my car works great.  :tu:

And which miracle Sedan is this?

us Offline twiliter

Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 09:32:22 PM

And which miracle Sedan is this?

It's a Malibu (2017 model), which coincidentally I also had in high school (1970 model).  :)

I did a lot of research and comparing, looked at Toyota/Lexus, Honda, Beemer, Benz, Nissan, Dodge, etc. etc. and made my decision. Happy I did.

No I didn't look at Tesla. F Tesla.  :P  :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:33:58 PM by twiliter »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 10:06:47 PM
Well the Tesla is 10-15k more expensive after all...  :think:
Even if it gets 126 MPGe.  :P
And 0-60 in 5 seconds...
2 year waiting list?!  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 10:11:30 PM
And 0-60 in 5 seconds...

More like $60k more.

I guess it's better at pissing contests than my car, but I'm too practical to spend money on that.  :angel:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 10:14:36 PM
And 0-60 in 5 seconds...

More like $60k more.

I guess it's better at pissing contests than my car, but I'm too practical to spend money on that.  :angel:
I thought we were talking about the Model 3. :facepalm:
Comparing a 30k sedan with a Model S... Apples ‘n Oranges

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 10:17:15 PM
How about an electric van? These two girls popped into work on their road trip:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 10:19:51 PM
How about an electric van? These two girls popped into work on their road trip:

Cool. What’s the range on it? Sorry if it was mentioned in the video, but I’m hard of hearing.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 10:20:20 PM
The new Nissan Leaf looks pretty cool too.... :tu:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds