Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK muggle staring.

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
SAK muggle staring.
on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:43 PM
I was using my SAK the other day to help open a stuck zipper on my bag, and as soon as I pulled it out, some people started staring at me like I was some kind of psychopath.
Does that happen to you guys? If so, what do you do to avoid it?

Enviado de meu Moto E (4) Plus usando o Tapatalk

Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: SAK muggle staring.
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:36:25 PM
Now I’m interested... how did a SAK help with a stuck zipper?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:38:19 PM
Oh, you know... Just turn to them, smile, say something friendly...

:whistle:

Show content

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:39:25 PM

I'd say with the hook...

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:04 PM
I act as if nothing is wrong, that it's perfectly normal and that I do it routinely many times each day. Their reaction is their problem, not mine.  :)

John

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:58:39 PM
Always. I typically ignore them, try not to flash it too much. But keep an eye on them in case  they call the cops.

But it’s possible folks are just bored and your situation was interesting to them. So maybe take a bow😀

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:01:31 PM
I have heard "why are you carrying a knife?" (Skeletool, Surge) a couple of times.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 11:03:44 PM
I had a woman (who was extremely liberal) make a big deal over a Vic Classic. 

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:08:25 PM
I put it down to the increasing urbanisation (and resulting loss of skills more common in rural areas) of society.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 11:09:24 PM

I just love (not really) how everyone has a opinion about the things we carry and use that is in no way affecting anyone else. It’s also funny how when said people need to cut something or use scissors they suddenly turn into your best friend.  ::) Just my personal experience though.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Walley

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 11:57:30 PM
i get the odd look and comment usually when people see me with my Surge. it's a well worn B/O version with a damascus blade and i've had people call it a "zombie apocalypse weapon" and all kinds of things. it does look a bit intimidating.
it just happened to me yesterday in fact! lol
i left my Surge on the table for a moment with the blade out and my son's girlfriend walked past it and stopped and took an extended glance. i laughed when i saw her because her eyes were wide and she had a look on her face like wtf!
i never get that with SAKs or even my wave, but it's not uncommon for people to take a step back when i pull out the Surge or ST 300.
it's probably not a good idea to open a knife blade in a public area like on a train, bus or shopping mall though. that's just asking for trouble no matter what kind of blade it is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 12:04:57 AM
If it has happened I was unaware.  I am legally using my tool and legal to carry said tool.  I do however try to be mindful because I do not want stupid asking me stupid questions. 
Esse Quam Videri

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 01:34:02 AM

I'd say with the hook...

:think: :think:
Yup, I just put the hook into the zipper's puller, and pulled it while pulling the fabric to the sides. Helped a lot.  :climber:
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 01:46:46 AM
I recently had someone ask why I was carrying a knife as I was cutting up a couple six pack rings after dropping off a bunch of returnables. I might have made a rude comment about how people who were scared of a knife being used properly probably shouldn't be entrusted with anything dangerous and probably vacuum packed for everyone's safety not just their own.

Let 'em stare. That reflex is why we don't doubt their place in the food chain- they're gonna get e't. By a squirrel.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9225.msg1070006.html#msg1070006
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 02:05:04 AM
i get the odd look and comment usually when people see me with my Surge. it's a well worn B/O version with a damascus blade and i've had people call it a "zombie apocalypse weapon" and all kinds of things. it does look a bit intimidating.
it just happened to me yesterday in fact! lol
i left my Surge on the table for a moment with the blade out and my son's girlfriend walked past it and stopped and took an extended glance. i laughed when i saw her because her eyes were wide and she had a look on her face like wtf!
i never get that with SAKs or even my wave, but it's not uncommon for people to take a step back when i pull out the Surge or ST 300.
it's probably not a good idea to open a knife blade in a public area like on a train, bus or shopping mall though. that's just asking for trouble no matter what kind of blade it is.
Yeah, the only thing that gets out of my SAK in public places are the scissors, and maybe the can opener so I can fidget with something.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 02:38:59 AM
I live in the south. Most males carry knives here so I’ve only had a few comments. Unfortunately for a couple of commentators other people were making fun them for being a “wuss”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 06:11:27 AM
Just don't do it in London.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 07:21:34 AM
Where do you guys live where a simple SAK causes people to be scared? That's just pathetic!  :ahhh

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 08:59:59 AM
Haven't we had this discussion many times before? Some of us live in extremely "knife hostile" places, others live where there is a thriving knife culture. It just boils down to adapting to your surroundings, don't give the smurfs an extra chance to ruin nice things, and use whatever means which are locally suitable to push the culture in whatever direction you think is correct. London isn't Røros isn't Castleford.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 09:23:23 AM
extremely liberal

That's a good thing, right?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 09:49:59 AM
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 10:54:13 AM
extremely liberal

That's a good thing, right?
Reckon it is  :tu:
Going by the definition of a liberal that I googled up, it sounds good.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 11:21:07 AM
Where do you guys live where a simple SAK causes people to be scared? That's just pathetic!  :ahhh

...EU?

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 02:11:03 PM

I just love (not really) how everyone has a opinion about the things we carry and use that is in no way affecting anyone else. It’s also funny how when said people need to cut something or use scissors they suddenly turn into your best friend.  ::) Just my personal experience though.

Nope, not just your personal experience...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 02:11:43 PM
Haven't we had this discussion many times before? Some of us live in extremely "knife hostile" places, others live where there is a thriving knife culture. It just boils down to adapting to your surroundings, don't give the smurfs an extra chance to ruin nice things, and use whatever means which are locally suitable to push the culture in whatever direction you think is correct. London isn't Røros isn't Castleford.
People are not hostile where I live, they're just not used to it.
I hope.

Enviado de meu Moto E (4) Plus usando o Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 02:15:51 PM
Whenever possible, I try to "educate" people about tools (i.e. knives). When I see someone is just curious, not affraid, I tell them about awl the different types of knives, their uses and why people should use (even carry) them.

Spread the word, brothers!

:angel: :angel:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 04:00:59 PM
I, daily, carry this with me: 84 mm two layer for chisel, a 100 mm reshaped, a dc4 and some piece of wood.

I often sit at a local hamburger bar, refill and WiFi is free . I pretty much always whittle and I love Victorinox and Wenger knives. Together with Mora they've been with me all my life ever since my father taught me the basics and slowly allowed me to take over a personal responsibility over the tool.

I don't "dare"to carry a Mora as, even if it's short, it's a fixed blade and we got situational interpeted knifelaws here in Sweden which means the only way to not risk jail time is to not carry.

I've done my best to minimize my tool set to best avoid bothering the police that occasionally dine where I whittle.

But from , haha love your title!, muffled muggles I rarely get any other attention other than curious glances. The only ones that come up to me are 4-8 year old kids.

"What is that?" "What are you doing" "that doesn't look like an elephant" and other more or less shamelessly but correct statements and questions. I love it! Brutal honesty.

In the beginning I used to give away what I completed but I'm not allowed anyone by a friend who wants me to gather enough of a collection for her to photo.

SAK's are generally the only knife type that are accepted but even those are slipping into the "weapon" category I'm afraid.

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 04:05:39 PM
Whenever possible, I try to "educate" people about tools (i.e. knives). When I see someone is just curious, not affraid, I tell them about awl the different types of knives, their uses and why people should use (even carry) them.

Spread the word, brothers!

:angel: :angel:

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:25 PM
I grew up in and around Washington D.C. and for the most part I'm a city boy with forays into backpacking and canoe camping. Most of my life when carrying a SAK I've had no problem carrying it and using it in a public setting. If anything, I've got very positive comments, especially after the mid 80's when a certain TV show had them in a co-staring role.

One time I took I it out to cut off a tag, and an old gray haired little lady was standing there watching. When I was done she asked f that was a Swiss Army Knife. I showed it to her and she said she'd just bought  one for her grandson's birthday because she'd been told they were so useful. This was about 1980. Later I'd go to use one of the tools or blade and someone would see and go "Look, it's MacGyver!" and all reaction was positive.

Now we've moved down to Georgetown Texas, and knives are so common people don't even blink much, even for a Bowie knife. They had a meeting at the Alamo of Bowie knife fans and everyone had one on the hip. Customs, high end factory. But then Texas has open carry of handguns if you wish to. Lots and lots of pocket clips on view everywhere.

It all depends on where you are and what you're doing at the time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:37:21 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 04:47:26 PM
Completely agree with it all depending on where you live and what your doing. I have lived in big cities where using knives in public will attract a lot of attention. I would do it daily anyways since I’m no criminal and I was not doing anything illegal so if anyone has a problem with my knife use it’s just that.... their problem. I now live in a town with a population of just over 10,000 and it’s cows, horses, and farms as far as the eye can see. I could be carrying a machete on my hip and no one would even think twice about it. Small time life has its benefits. Also has some downsides as well but that’s a discussion for another time.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD