Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK muggle staring.

ca Offline Walley

Re: SAK muggle staring.
Reply #30 on: April 28, 2018, 12:28:43 AM
if anyone has a problem with my knife use it’s just that.... their problem
+1 on that sentiment. I feel that way on many topics.
 if only the rest of the world did...

i hope i'm not too off-topic here, but i will tell a story from my distant past that may be relevant.
the way assault laws are written (at least in Canada), if i swing my hand around and someone nearby mistook my movements as threatening towards themselves, even if it was not my intention (because i cannot prove my intentions) it is technically an assault. if i jump out of a door and yell Boo! and someone gets scared, it is an assault. no direct contact or direct threat needed.
if my actions caused someone to feel threatened, my intentions are irrelevant.
i know this to be true because a lawyer and judge explained this too me many years ago.
I was driving down a street with a friend in the passenger seat and for some stupid reason there as a plastic squirt gun in my car.
it was one of those cheap kids toys that looked like a chromed western sheriff gun with a red end cap on the barrel. about half the size of a real gun.
anyways, as my friend asked me why it was between my seats i picked it up and explained that it was from the weekend when another friend was squirting water at girls down by the beach. at the same time i had this in my hand we drove past a police car... and it seems that he saw it in my hand and his perception was that i pointed it at him!
the next thing i know i'm surrounded by 5 cop cars and they were not too happy to say the least.
once they realized what happened it all calmed down quickly, but then to my surprise the cop charged me with assault!
in court, the lawyer and judge said they had to make an example of it to stop people from walking the streets with toy guns, and they showed news articles with people robbing stores with fake guns and knives.
from my perspective, i was just chatting with a friend and did nothing wrong, was just innocently holding a toy?
but to the cop, he felt a threat to his life and they went into take-down mode like he was trained to do.
and really, i can understand his point of view.
the only thing i can take from that and to make sure it doesn't happen again is to not drive around with a toy gun in my hand or in public. even if i'm not using it improperly or illegally.
it all could have ended a lot worse..

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #31 on: April 28, 2018, 04:26:03 AM
I can get looks from time to time, but a SAK isn't as bad as say a large folder ie a Spyderco or ZT. Its a tool, and if somebody says something I have a few comebacks in the ol' holster.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #32 on: April 28, 2018, 05:24:12 AM

i hope i'm not too off-topic here, but i will tell a story from my distant past that may be relevant.
the way assault laws are written (at least in Canada), if i swing my hand around and someone nearby mistook my movements as threatening towards themselves, even if it was not my intention (because i cannot prove my intentions) it is technically an assault. if i jump out of a door and yell Boo! and someone gets scared, it is an assault. no direct contact or direct threat needed.
i know this to be true because a lawyer and judge explained this too me many years ago.
I was driving down a street with a friend in the passenger seat and for some stupid reason there as a plastic squirt gun in my car.
it was one of those cheap kids toys that looked like a chromed western sheriff gun with a red end cap on the barrel. about half the size of a real gun.
anyways, as my friend asked me why it was between my seats i picked it up and explained that it was from the weekend when another friend was squirting water at girls down by the beach. at the same time i had this in my hand we drove past a police car... and it seems that he saw it in my hand and his perception was that i pointed it at him!
the next thing i know i'm surrounded by 5 cop cars and they were not too happy to say the least.
once they realized what happened it all calmed down quickly, but then to my surprise the cop charged me with assault!
in court, the lawyer and judge said they had to make an example of it to stop people from walking the streets with toy guns, and they showed news articles with people robbing stores with fake guns and knives.
from my perspective, i was just chatting with a friend and did nothing wrong, was just innocently holding a toy?
but to the cop, he felt a threat to his life and they went into take-down mode like he was trained to do.
the only thing i can take from that and to make sure it doesn't happen again is to not drive around with a toy gun in my hand or in public. even if i'm not using it improperly or illegally.

So basically if anyone at any time or for any reason feels threatened by you by no fault of your own it’s assault? Seems like your guilty until proven innocent and if the other party says your guilty then your guilty. What a sad world we live in.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 03:04:13 PM

So basically if anyone at any time or for any reason feels threatened by you by no fault of your own it’s assault? Seems like your guilty until proven innocent and if the other party says your guilty then your guilty. What a sad world we live in.

It looks like things are getting more than ridiculous all over!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 03:53:18 PM
When children see me using a SAK, they act like I'm on the same level as Batman, that's the only reaction I get
 :climber:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 04:32:20 PM
When children see me using a SAK, they act like I'm on the same level as Batman, that's the only reaction I get

Does feeling like Batman count for anything?  I know when I tool heavy I sure do  :D
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 10:09:32 PM
Does feeling like Batman count for anything?  I know when I tool heavy I sure do  :D

Whereas adults assume you're feelin' like robbin'   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:26:28 PM by Syncop8r »

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 10:24:01 PM

Absolutely :D

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 10:25:07 PM

Ouch!  :ahhh

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #39 on: April 29, 2018, 12:10:15 AM

Its getting to be that bad in Vermont- six months ago, I wouldn't have believed it, but because one dickwad made threatening statements and the state over played their hand so the whole mess is about to get tossed out of court, telling someone "drop dead" is about to get a felony. Because we have to DO SOMETHING. Of course, elections are coming up, so looking going is better than being smart with the politicians.

Welcome to the wonderful world of thought crime and collectivized guilt. Someone was naughty with a tool, ipso facto everyone with a similar tool must be equally naughty. Some chooses to hear what they want in your words rather than what you said, you're naughty. Then you're guilty until you can prove yourself innocent, unless "society" (aka, media editors and "social justice warriors") decide that you're GUILTY and that you should be tried by a mass of ignorant effing sheep, with judge lynch presiding. And if you defend yourself, oh, you're the bad guy, you're the monster, the terrorist, but those smurfers can physically attack you, terrorize and bully by phone and online, or just vandalize your property and they're just expressing themselves. Give it a few years, and just the accusation of certain kinds of wrongthink will be a felony, no judge or jury required, just some sniveler who's identity will protected.

Orwell would be horrified at how right he was.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:17:32 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 01:31:02 AM
My normal reaction is: You see this as a weapon?! And the first thing you think of when you see a SAK is murdering someone?? What the hell is wrong with you you psychopath!!!

It's like judo, you use your opponent's strength against him/her/it.

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 07:09:24 AM

Aw man.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56