Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

aa x 1 twisty

Offline tonyg

aa x 1 twisty
on: April 27, 2018, 02:58:00 AM
Looking for a single aa (alkaline) battery flashlight for pocket carry, 120 lumens or more, two or three modes (no strobe) and preferably around 3".  I have a Maratac which meets my requirements, but was wondering if there's anything else out there.  thanks........

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: aa x 1 twisty
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 03:44:13 AM
If you can get past wanting a twist operation Zebralight makes some of the best AA lights out there. Also look into Olight.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:04:11 AM
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:06:18 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:39:18 PM
There are just way too many lights that are an AA twisty to suggest something without more specific needs.

The Jetbeam Jet-1MK AA Twisty for under $15 is one of my favorites for sure though.

An ET D25A Twisty is also great.

A PEAK can be used by just twisting.

Everyone makes an AA twisty probably?

What is it about the one you have now that makes you want something different?

Offline tonyg

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:39:19 PM
Like you said, there certainly are a lot of aa x 1 twisties out there, but evidently none as small and powerful as the Maratac using only regular alkaline or lithium batteries, including the ones you suggested.  So I guess I was just wondering why no one else seems to make a 205 lumen flashlight that's a hair uder 3" other than the Countycomm Maratac, without out it being 3 1/4 - 3 1/2" long, and requiring a rechargeable power source, as well as having a turbo mode which I'm not really interested in.  But thanks anyway.....I'll stick with the Maratac like I think you sort of suggested.......

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 01:56:09 PM
Like you said, there certainly are a lot of aa x 1 twisties out there, but evidently none as small and powerful as the Maratac using only regular alkaline or lithium batteries, including the ones you suggested.  So I guess I was just wondering why no one else seems to make a 205 lumen flashlight that's a hair uder 3" other than the Countycomm Maratac, without out it being 3 1/4 - 3 1/2" long, and requiring a rechargeable power source, as well as having a turbo mode which I'm not really interested in.  But thanks anyway.....I'll stick with the Maratac like I think you sort of suggested.......

I was not suggesting that at all?
I was just trying to understand what you were looking for exactly as there is so much to choose from.

I have a hard time accepting most claims of output that seem higher than others for any particular battery type as there is only so much juice available and so few emitter choices in the end overall. Further I am sure we can not reliably discern the difference between a 130l light next to a 200l light and the ratings are often mostly meaningless in the end.

The only real exception that I have experience with is the Zebra line which do seem somehow to have better drivers overall and thus higher output and longer runtimes though again I am not sure I can really tell the difference even with different lights in each hand.

I know the CC that you have and the Jetbeam seem about the same to me side by side.

Now I do have many other AA lights as it is a hobby I love and I do rotate the 2nd light I carry pretty much for fun too but for me it is a ZL SC52 EDC all the time and then the Jetbeam I mentioned as the 2nd one.

I also really like the Thrunite T10 lights and they do have a Tail Switch too but can be used as a Twisty if prefferred but these will be a little longer due to the switch too.
You didn't mention length in your first post either so this is one reason I asked for more detail.

Also like I said the G25A is a great little light and many don't realize that it is sold as a twisty or clicky and is shorter in the Twist version. Yo can also get warmer tints which I far prefer in both the Thrunite and ET!

I think I will carry the CC Today though and see how it does!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:00:24 PM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 04:42:28 PM
Twisty AA recommendations.  I unfortunately dont have one for you.  You seem to have a great light but IF you were available to consider the ZL SC52 L2  I can assure you this light is pretty wonderful.  About the strobe, its only there if you want it.  Theres not any reason to use it if you don't.  It has several modes BUT only if you want to use them otherwise its 3 simple modes.  As far as batteries, well, you chose what you feed it.  The output will change when using Lithiums but IMO thats a good thing.   

The light is also very pleasing to the eye style wise tho YMMV.  UI for some is a pain but its really a simple light at its core.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD