Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survivalist videos and articles

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Survivalist videos and articles
on: April 27, 2018, 11:11:12 PM
I'll start with a classic:

And add something a bit more recent:

Apologies if there is already a thread like this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:15:24 PM by Syncop8r »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Survivalist videos and articles
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:27:42 PM
Every single video on the 'Primative Technology' youtube channel.

One of the things I love about these videos is he doesn't explain anything. He doesn't speak at all, as far as I remember. He just DOES the stuff, and you watch. No language barrier.

Here's the earliest video on the channel.

hr Offline styx

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 02:54:37 PM
well these are interesting. hopefully I can watch 'em all in one go
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 04:06:20 PM
The primitive technology cahannel is great.
PS.You get a lot of info on what he is doing, materials used etc if you turn on subtitles.

The bushcraft jorunal can be read for free online. Its not fantastic, but has some good articles. http://www.thebushcraftjournal.com
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:01:23 PM
I recently purchased The Ultimate Survival Manual, Canadian Edition at a local discount store, and I have to say that I sincerely hope I never have to rely on this book to get myself out of a jam.   :facepalm:

Most of the info in it is either about prep work (important, but not always possible) such as filling a discarded coffee cup with paraffin and cotton balls to start fires, and non-survival issues such as finding medical attention if you are injured.  No smurf.  Really?

I mean, I am all for finding proper medical help when injured, but then I am also about going to the grocery store when I am hungry, or turning up the thermostat if I get chilly.  These aren't exactly survival things.  Imagine for example that you are several day's hike from any kind of help, yo have no cell service and you broke your Personal Locator Beacon in the same fall that you gashed open your leg in, and, feeling confident because you brought this book, you open it up to see what you should do and it says "wash wound with soap and water then seek professional medical attention."

In that case, these become your problems:

problem #1, you don't have any soap,
problem #2, any water sources are just as likely to contain harmful bacteria as the thing that cut you,
problem #3 is you probably aren't carrying enough water to waste on the cut because you are bleeding badly and hydration is that much more important now
problem #4, if medical attention was readily available you wouldn't need this book
problem #5, if you don't do something soon, the blood will start to attract animals you don't want to attract
problem #6, gangreen is developing as you flip through the book, looking for answers....  :facepalm:

So much more wrong with it, but you get the idea.  Other things I found amusing were "How to deal with a lion attack" which to totally something that you need to include in every Canadian Edition survival manual, since there are lions everywhere here, and you really don't want to be caught unaware!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:15:27 PM
I've always enjoyed watching these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MedWildVideos/videos
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44