Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Windows Phone?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Windows Phone?
on: April 29, 2018, 01:12:27 AM
Does anyone here use a Windows Phone? I know they're not popular but I'm thinking of trying one as my old Samsung has a cracked screen and is only on Android 4.2.something.
I use Windows 10 on my PC.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Windows Phone?
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:48:29 AM
I had a Windows phone years ago, but that was back in the WinMobile days.  I have no idea what the new phones are like, but my guess is they are perfectly adequate, and there might be some benefits to having a phone and PC running the same (or at least similar) OS's.

As seen in another thread I just got another Android, but I would consider a Windows phone if that had been an option.  I feel like they are only the minority player in phones nowadays because they were so late to the market.  I'm sure if they had gotten into phones and tablets when everyone else did they would probably be where Android is today, with Android being the little guy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 04:00:32 AM
I see lack of available apps as the main drawback.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:40:59 PM
All the company mobile phones are windows based where I work, and they suck. They are a motorola phone that is no longer made and the company won't bite the bullet and go to android.  The app support for them is terrible as well.  I end up using my own phone to do things because apps aren't available for my work phone.

I don't technically need it in my current job so I've volunteered to surrender it to replace someone elses broken one.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05:33 PM
Thanks for your input Kev. I wanted to go to Windows but some of the apps I use are only available on Android or iPhone - my banking apps probably the most important of these.
Looks like I'll have to stick with Android.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:11:24 AM
Do NOT buy a Windows phone! That operating system is dead since last year: https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/9/16446280/microsoft-finally-admits-windows-phone-is-dead

An iPhone or Android phones are much better as an investment. You can get one, use and sell it maybe a year later but in 2019 nobody's gonna buy that Windows phone from you. Blackberry is also an option (and as far as the operating system is concerned they're Android-based), if you're a fan of the hardware/specs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%