Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another one bites the dust....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Another one bites the dust....
on: April 29, 2018, 03:44:43 AM
I have sent yet another phone to Valhalla!  :viking:

:facepalm:

A few days ago I dropped my Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo phone in the sink while doing dishes and, since it it waterproof, I wasn't too concerned about it, however I did have to take it out of the Otterbox Defender it lives in.  I love the protection of the Defender, although the screen protector just lays on top of the screen, not adhering to it, so when water gets between them the phone is kind of useless as it thinks you are pressing half the screen at a time.  So, I took it out of the Defender, one of the few times the phone has seen the light of day since I got it just over a year ago.  Prior to that it protected my Galaxy S5 for a few years.

Inside the Otterbox Defender is some foam, which also absorbed some water, so I left it off for a day or two to make sure it was completely dried off, and, you guessed it, I just happened to drop the Neo and crack the screen.  As annoyed as I was at myself for doing that, the screen wasn't badly cracked and still functioned well enough, so I decided to just leave it and maybe replace it later on.

But no, that wasn't good enough.   :facepalm:

There must have been some stress fractures in the screen or something, because a few hours later the glass just shattered, leaving tiny fragments of glass everywhere!   :ahhh

It's still functional, more or less, but I have serious concerns over having jagged glass in my pockets, or near the cat and/or dogs, so I figured I'd better get a new one.  I am now owned by a new Samsung, the Galaxy A8, which seemed like a reasonable cost to functionality ratio.  It's not the newest, greatest or best phone on the market, but it was pretty good for the price.

There were no Defender series cases for it, so I just got the Commuter case for it and a Pure Gear screen protector.  Hopefully this will be enough, because I can't afford another phone any time soon!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Re: Another one bites the dust....
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 06:39:05 PM
Well that sucks.

My S4 is pretty banged up, several major cracks in the screen, lower right hand corner is shattered and missing nearly a square centimeter of screen. Surprisingly I've been able to continue using it for the last year and a half since the major damage occurred. I'm pretty sure any exposure to water would be its immediate downfall though :ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:07:20 PM
Here is a photo I took of the old one next to the new one.  It doesn't look as bad as it really is, but you can still see a number of cracks in the screen.  I think it was grabbed by a digital facehugger when it fell and that's why it took so long for the screen to burst outwards....   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:42 PM
 :worthless:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:10:35 PM
Here is a photo I took of the old one next to the new one.  It doesn't look as bad as it really is, but you can still see a number of cracks in the screen.  I think it was grabbed by a digital facehugger when it fell and that's why it took so long for the screen to burst outwards....   :facepalm:

Def

those cracks are so bad, that the pic slipped through them to another dimension  :ahhh because I can't see anything other than text  :think:

EDIT: Zoid beat me to it!  :pok:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 02:45:50 AM
Weird.  I attached it but it didn't attach.   :think:

I'll try again shortly when I get back to my computer.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 04:41:15 PM
I got the Pure Gear screen protector installed by the girl at the store to ensure that everything was done properly, and here we are, less than a month later with a big chip out of it.   :facepalm:

I've contacted the company to see what they have to say about it, but I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in it, being damaged this early on.  Still, any products can be faulty, no matter how good the QC is, so we will see what happens.

Def
Screen Protector.jpg
* Screen Protector.jpg (Filesize: 108.87 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%