Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let’s talk sunglasses.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Let’s talk sunglasses.
on: April 29, 2018, 07:59:03 AM
I have never been much of a sunglass wearer, but my eyes have paid for it over the years. A lifetime of sun in my eyes has taken a tole and I figured it’s time to finally buy sunglasses. I tried on countless brands, styles, etc. I finally decided on the RayBan brand Justin model. I got the gold mirror lenses (in person they just look like chrome mirror) which I like. I wanted a lens that cannot be seen through. Basically I don’t like how sunglasses look when you can see the wearers eyes. I am pretty happy with my purchase. I wish I had gotten a polarized version but they did not have them and they come at a extra cost which I could not afford anyways. My eyes are now ready to be shielded from the sun this summer and I am quite happy about that. What sunglasses are you all sporting? I was also looking at the Oakley Holbrook.

https://www.amazon.com/Ray-Ban-RB4165-Justin-Sunglasses-Authentic/dp/B01BCU79SM
I'm the milk man!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Let’s talk sunglasses.
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:12:23 AM
Nice choice of sunglasses, Cap!

I wear regular half-rim rectangular glasses, and use the snap in sun glasses that came with them. One set is dark grey and good for daily eye protection and the other are UV dark yellow good for driving rain or shine. I am planning on getting some dedicated sunglasses at some point, but haven't decided on which yet. :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:29:25 AM
I’ve always liked sunglasses, and my eyes have become very light sensitive, and any flashing of light isn’t good with my medical! So the one type of sunglasses that I’ve come to like are mountaineering glasses, they have the leather sideshields to block out as much light as possible..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 09:06:26 AM
My father in law found a pair of Rayban sunglasses on his driveway 2 years ago.

The frame was ok, but the lenses were trashed.

He gave it to me and I brought it to a dealer.

They replaced the lenses with new ones, originaly meant for that model, incl. Polarisation.
In the end I had to pay less then any other brand of sunglassed would have cost me.

Also, I ONLY want polarised sunglasses now :facepalm:

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:14:23 AM
Oakley Holbrooks and Knockaround Classics. :)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:23 AM
Ah, the world of sunglasses! Good for your eyes, but you need at least a couple for style purposes. They don't need to be expensive to be good.
What I have laying around:
Northweeks: transparent frame with blue mirror lenses
Rayban: tortoise frame with brown lenses
Maui Jim and Srengeti: black sports frame with dark grey lenses
Versache: silver rimless frame with transparent - silver gradient lenses
Also, my reading glasses are photochromic: titanium with CF frame, clear lenses that turn blue/purple in the sun.

On my whishlist is a tortoise frame with blue lenses. Maybe this summer :-)

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 12:16:19 PM
When I took up flying I finally got some sunglasses that cost more than $10!
I got some sporty Adidas ones - I can't remember the exact model -  which are lightweight, non polarised (polarised is apparently not good when looking at screens and gauges I had heard) and with thin 'arms' (is that what they are called?) that don't interfere with headsets too much.
One of the pivots broke a while but I managed to get a replacement pivot for a few bucks. The other pivot has since broken and I'm sure I have a replacement pivot for it around somewhere...  :think:

I wanted a lens that cannot be seen through. Basically I don’t like how sunglasses look when you can see the wearers eyes.
Good for *ahem* looking at things without being caught....  :whistle:

Not the most flattering pic but anyway....
DSCF5133 (600 x 800).jpg
* DSCF5133 (600 x 800).jpg (Filesize: 90.89 KB)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:33:05 PM by Syncop8r »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:14:32 PM
Go by specs, that is what protection they offer against UV rays.  As long as they have the CE marking and are sold by a reputable shop then they are fine. Paying more does not mean you get more protection. You get design, brand name and usually better build quality.
I have sunglasses from supermarkets and opticians (I keep a pair in each car) as well as for cycling.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 01:25:29 PM
When I took up flying I finally got some sunglasses that cost more than $10!
I got some sporty Adidas ones - I can't remember the exact model -  which are lightweight, non polarised (polarised is apparently not good when looking at screens and gauges I had heard) and with thin 'arms' (is that what they are called?) that don't interfere with headsets too much.
One of the pivots broke a while but I managed to get a replacement pivot for a few bucks. The other pivot has since broken and I'm sure I have a replacement pivot for it around somewhere...  :think:

I wanted a lens that cannot be seen through. Basically I don’t like how sunglasses look when you can see the wearers eyes.
Good for *ahem* looking at things without being caught....  :whistle:

Not the most flattering pic but anyway....

Why have you got no trousers on?... and what are you about to do with that piece of fruit?!  :ahhh

Nice sunglasses though!  :salute:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:32:04 PM by Fuzzbucket »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 01:45:22 PM
Why have you got no trousers on?... and what are you about to do with that piece of fruit?!  :ahhh

Nice sunglasses though!  :salute:
Thanks.  :salute:
I usually wear shorts when walking. I had just walked up Jacob's Ladder near Edale in the PeatPeak District.
The apple I was given came from New Zealand (I noticed it on the sticker)... brought a tear to my eye....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 02:59:32 PM
I have only spent more than $20 on a pair of sunglasses once in my life and they were stolen out of my Jeep last year.   :facepalm:

I always get polarized, as it was a requirement for my last job of inspecting cars.  And, having worked nights much of my life I find I am very sensitive to bright light these days, and Megan often thinks I am being creepy for sitting in the dark in the house- ie no lights on in the house in the evening.

As my sunglasses tend to get misplaced or broken, I usually keep them in the Jeep and mostly just use them when driving.  The rest of the time I use my Tilley as a sun shade and just go with it, but when hiking, kayaking etc I will often bring them with me, partially because I've forgotten to take them off!

I keep a couple of pairs in the Jeep- one is a visor style (sports glasses) and the other is a teardrop pilot style, but the lens has been popping out of those for the last little bit so they may find themselves in the trash soon.  I'll probably try to glue them at some point, but the frames are very thin on them and I'm not sure how well glue will be able to hold them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 04:10:02 PM
Since my sunglasses always seem to get scratched or lost I go with Polarized fishing sunglasses from Walmart. They are actually more comfortable than my old expensive Smith sunglasses and cheap enough where I have multiple pairs. 

england Offline Kev D

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 04:26:14 PM
I don't wear sunglasses, I have photochromic lenses in my prescription glasses.  It's surprising how dark they go even on overcast days. It just goes to show how much uv there is even on cloudy days.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 06:54:15 PM
I don't wear sunglasses, I have photochromic lenses in my prescription glasses.  It's surprising how dark they go even on overcast days. It just goes to show how much uv there is even on cloudy days.

If I wore glasses that's what I would do too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 07:50:36 PM
My reading glasses with the photochromic layer activated by the sun.

The problem is I only need them for reading, so I mostly wear normal sunglasses when I am outside
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 07:56:25 PM
I haven’t had sunglasses for
years now as the last pair got stolen  :rant:
I Keep looking at sunglasses but never seem to buy any :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 03:38:45 AM
Good topic, Cap'n

I've worn glasses for my near-sightedness for years. Whenever I get new prescription eye glasses, I also get a pair of prescription sunglasses, and I always get the sunglasses polarized.

They are fine for viewing analog gauges, however, they are problematic when viewing those dastardly LCD displays like certain point of sale machines.  They make the display appear blank. If you then just tilt your head a littlt, the LCD will come into focus.

The polarization really helps when fishing. I can see to the bottom of lakes and rivers, and the glare off the water is reduced to being negligible.

My last pair of suns were polarized Aztecs, a semi  wrap around that blocks side coming light.

Being prescription, I wear them all summer and winter, too. The snow can be just as blinding aso the summer sun. Oft times I walk into work without even thinking I have them on until someone asks why I am wearing them inside.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 04:11:01 AM
I always get transition lenses for my prescription eye-wear. They are great outside...but do nothing inside a vehicle. That is why I have those silly over the glasses sunglasses in the vehicle.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Kev D

Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 09:04:19 AM
I always get transition lenses for my prescription eye-wear. They are great outside...but do nothing inside a vehicle. That is why I have those silly over the glasses sunglasses in the vehicle.

That's the only annoying thing about them.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 03:48:18 AM
Same here, the transition type glass in my get very dark, and much more so on hazy days than cloudless days. 
For driving I do wear prescription sun glasses that are polarized.  (Progressive lens). 
My work sunglasses are safety wrap around lenses as is my clear safety glasses which are clear.
For bike riding I found wrap around styles also work better, they are also prescription. 
Protect your eyes, !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 01:27:10 AM
Yes, absolutely protect your eyes!

I almost lost one a couple of weeks ago when disassembling my rivet gun to clear a jammed rivet and got hit between my cheekbone and eye with a spring that I didn't know was there..... :facepalm:

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 01:48:28 AM
A few years ago I was sitting on the back of a pickup just bs’ing as a neighbor was chopping wood, I wasn’t even paying attn but he was driving a wedge with a 5lb hammer and as the hammer hit a piece of the wedge chipped off and hit me directly into the sunglasses, those were Rx with with special lenses that would hold up to a .22 cal, needless to say they chipped! So if I didn’t have them on I don’t think I’d have an eye, cause the chip mark was in direct line of sight!

I was thinking, sunglasses can be very expensive for something very small and doesn’t cover everything. Yet they make tinted safety glasses, they cover more, protect, and can be very cheap, you can buy like a 10pk for less then a single pair of glasses..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 02:16:50 AM
A quick update. Been wearing my Ray-Bans daily and am loving them. I’m thinking I may save up for the green mirrored polarized version.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 03:05:19 AM
Used to wear Ray Ban Predators until they changed them to Predator 2 when I needed new ones, now Oakley Chainlink (Ferrari) unpolarized.

"Thermonuclear Protection"  :salute:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:27:17 AM by twiliter »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 03:55:56 AM
Good lookin shades.  8)
I'm the milk man!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 05:29:41 AM
Well, since I'm a big nerd I wear mirrored aviators. Non-polarized, made by Duduma. I'm considering an upgrade to something polarized (those Knockaround Classics are only $15  :o ) or just lighter on my face. The aviators provide good eyeball coverage, but they are kinda clunky and front-heavy.

MadPlumbarian, what you said about safety glasses got me looking around, and I noticed these Carharrt glasses that are kinda cool and offer just 1% less protection than my aviators, according to listed specs on both;

https://smile.amazon.com/Carhartt-Carbondale-Safety-Sunglasses-Gray/dp/B000R06QP6/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Though I don't know if they're dark enough to prevent me from squinting all day either. Still, I don't think you can have too many pairs of safety glasses, and they're not exactly expensive  :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:30:43 AM by WoodsDuck »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 07:15:44 PM
Sunglasses, for Memory protection

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 07:17:37 PM

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 06:13:27 AM
Working on the water  ( and playing on the water ) my choice is Costa Del Mar , I have 3 pairs and could not go out of the house without them . Zane blue mirror  , Blackfin blue mirror and Tuna Alley green mirror camo

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 07:46:03 AM
I took up with contact lenses a few years ago as I had got into road cycling. As a glasses wearer since I was a teenager and never having has anything but clip-ons I decided to treat myself and get some Oakley Radars as they're popular in the peloton. I really was impressed by Oakleys optics and I've a polarised pair now too.

....[Drum roll].....

I've never looked back !  :rofl:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85