Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Problem with the new SOG Power Access Deluxe

Wspeed · 117 · 10675

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Problem with the new SOG Power Access Deluxe
on: April 29, 2018, 08:51:56 PM
Yesterday I noticed that the lock
mechanism isn’t working as it should
The problem is that the lock mechanism doesn’t lock by itself
It will by pushing the lock shut
This is on the saw and file side, the handle with the knives
Gives a nice klick when you opened the knife
When you do that with the other handle it just stays open
And I noticed that those thin
strips of metal on the side of the handle
Used as the spring for the lock
are easier to move up and down
On the lock that doesn’t lock Than
the handle with the knives and good lock :ahhh
click on pic for better quality
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:40:36 PM by Wspeed »
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Problem with the new SOG Power Access Deluxe
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:01:56 PM
Have you tried oiling it?

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:19:07 PM
Yes I tried that but no luck
To me it looks like the spring hasn’t
got as much tension
the other handle spring seems a lot stiffer  :think: :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:19:16 AM
I would carry and play with the Access Deluxe for a week or so and see if it will "break in" and operate correctly. My regular access tools on one side didn't lock properly and after playing with the malfunctioning side for two weeks, it now operates reliably. Although, I did have to modify the phillips lock groove with a needle file to make it seat properly.
If SOG doesn't get their act together with the QC, they are going to lose even more of their dwindling fanbase. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:49 PM
I would carry and play with the Access Deluxe for a week or so and see if it will "break in" and operate correctly. My regular access tools on one side didn't lock properly and after playing with the malfunctioning side for two weeks, it now operates reliably. Although, I did have to modify the phillips lock groove with a needle file to make it seat properly.
If SOG doesn't get their act together with the QC, they are going to lose even more of their dwindling fanbase. :facepalm:
That’s what I’m doing at the moment
I have send SOG a message about the problem
So I will see if they get back to me today
Just hope that they aren’t all like that  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 01:12:17 PM
bummer.  :P
This seemed their opportunity to be on the cutting edge again with improved QC as has been asked for years  :ahhh

hope you get it solved quick!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 01:47:56 PM
bummer.  :P
This seemed their opportunity to be on the cutting edge again with improved QC as has been asked for years  :ahhh

hope you get it solved quick!  :salute:
Thanks TP  :cheers:
As soon as I hear something back from SOG
I will let everyone know what they have to say about the problem  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 02:43:16 PM
Thank you, Wspeed! :cheers:

Their QC is absolutely ridiculous as of the last few years. Although, I have a second run PowerPlay that is fantastic and the PowerGrab I got works very well(unlike a lot of people's).

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 03:02:53 PM
Thank you, Wspeed! :cheers:

Their QC is absolutely ridiculous as of the last few years. Although, I have a second run PowerPlay that is fantastic and the PowerGrab I got works very well(unlike a lot of people's).

It’s a shame as it’s my first SOG
But apart from the lock not working
It’s a very nice MT
But we will see what they have to say  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 03:39:02 PM
Cool! :like:
We still have to do the challenge at some point though, Wspeed! :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 03:42:19 PM
Cool! :like:
We still have to do the challenge at some point though, Wspeed! :cheers:
No worries i am still up for a challenge  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 04:44:20 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet, but I think it's in the mail.......

Y'awl let me know when you want to run a challenge. I'll be totally up for it.  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 05:00:20 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet, but I think it's in the mail.......

Y'awl let me know when you want to run a challenge. I'll be totally up for it.  :tu:
The more the merrier  :cheers: :like: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 06:12:27 PM
Lets just hope ours aren't messed up like Wspeed's, Nix! :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 06:25:22 PM
Mine just arrived in the mail!   :ahhh

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 06:34:12 PM
I've also sent off a message to SOG with a link to this thread.  If anyone has any additional input this would be a good place to put it so they can reference it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Chris@SOG

Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 06:42:53 PM
Just sent off a PM to Wspeed.  Hopefully we can get this sorted. It's not supposed to do that.

Cheers
Chris

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 07:04:30 PM
Chris@SOG,

I absolutely love SOG multitools. I have almost every model SOG MT and multiples of some. Maybe put a word in to slow down on research and development for a while, and ramp up QC/QA. The newest designs are phenomenal(the PowerAccess was Tool of the Year here on MT.o) , but the little fiddly issues are driving us nuts. :ahhh
I know your customer service is good, but having to send a tool in for repair BEFORE it ever gets used is hurting your customer base. :multi:
20180424_221915-1.jpeg
* 20180424_221915-1.jpeg (Filesize: 122.13 KB)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:05:33 PM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 07:57:18 PM
Initial impressions:

1. Nicely designed pliers head. Jaws well aligned. Tips meet for precise grip.
2. Very smooth opening handles
3. Integral bit holder works well and has small magnet to hold bits
4. Real hex bits
5. Included 1/4" drive hex-bit holder
6. 1/4" driver works with bit holder and locks in 90º and straight positions
7. Tools open fairly smoothly and all lock into place (No Wspeed issues)
8. Nice set of integral tools (plain blade, serrated blade, Philips driver, can & bottle openers w/ flat drivers, large flat driver (chisel?), saw, file, "jeweler's" flat driver
9. Blades are fairly sharp. Plain edge able to slice thin magazine paper.
10. Arrived in good condition and was well oiled.
11. Looks like it could be disassembled easily with a pair of torx drivers

Concerns:

1. Uneven grind on pliers tips
2. I am a little concerned that distal corners of the wire cutters will interfere with the bolt/nut gripper section of pliers
3. Saw and file lock up, but are loose (plain and serrated blades lock up well)
4. Saw seems short (saw is shorter than the blades and handles seem to have room to spare)
5. File is dull. Teeth seem useless. I was able to put a slight chamfer on some wood using the double cut side, and notch some wood with the thin edge. I could not do any useful work on a tin can. I immediately find this tool to be useless. IT has the appearance of a file, but no function.
6. "Chisel" is dull. The packaging describes one tool as being a "chisel", but it seems more like a large flat driver. Might be a good scraper or light pry tool.
7. "Jeweler's driver" seems a bit big. I was able to tighten some screws on eyeglasses with it however. So that's a plus, but remains a concern
8. The grinds on the can opener are very obtuse and sloppy (they seem amateurish compared to a Victorinox can opener). I actually wondered if the can opener would function and tested it on an empty can. It did function, but seems to punch through the lid more than cut it. It will open cans, but is not efficient or clean.
9. The corners of the handle scales feel sharp and uncomfortable in a bare hand. I'll use it as it comes for a while, but expect that I'll end up using a diamond file to round and soften the handle scales.
10. Nice little angle measuring feature on the pivots. However, the print is too fine for these old eyes to read easily, even with reading glasses, and the scribe lines to  measure the angle are rather faint and difficult to read
11. I'm worried the shoulders of the pliers/integral bit holder will limit the use of the bits where a long reach or small space are factors.
12. The sheath is a hot mess. There is a nice sleeve for the hex bits and bit holder, but when the bit holder is in the sleeve, the sheath doesn't close evenly. The bit holder is wider than the sheath's depth. The sheath is meant to be MOLLE compatible, but it appears (not tested yet) that the bit holder twists the sheath and will make it tough to use the sheath with MOLLE gear (I'll test later). Without the bit holder in the sheath, the sheath does work well. Makes me wonder if SOG tested the sheath before production. 

Overall:

I doubt I would have purchased this tool if I had handled it in a store, instead of getting it blindly through an MTo group buy. The quality just isn't readily apparent.

There are a number of small issues that raise concerns for me. SOG appears to have continuing QC issues, based on this one tool. The fact that the file is essentially useless really bothers me and makes me wonder if the other tools will hold up to use and wear.  I'm left with a number of troubling questions Why the poor finishing? Why the useless file? Why the poorly designed sheath? Was the can opener just an afterthought?  These questions lead me to believe (perhaps wrongly) that SOG is focused on the pliers aspect of the tool, and is merely popping some tools they don't really care about into the hollows of the handle.

However, whinging and negative impressions aside, many tools seem to grow on me with use, so I'm looking forward to doing a 30-day challenge with this multitool and putting it through some testing. I'll try to keep an open mind and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 08:03:52 PM
Mine just arrived in the mail!   :ahhh

Excellent nice one  :like: :like: :think:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 08:04:58 PM
I've also sent off a message to SOG with a link to this thread.  If anyone has any additional input this would be a good place to put it so they can reference it.

Def
Thanks Grant very much appreciated  :cheers: :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 08:06:01 PM
Just sent off a PM to Wspeed.  Hopefully we can get this sorted. It's not supposed to do that.

Cheers
Chris
Thanks Chris send you a pm  :tu: :like: :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 08:47:54 PM
Update so far
Chris from SOG would like
me to send the PAD back to SOG
To see what is wrong with this one
And send me a replacement that will work  :tu:
At the moment I’m waiting for a reply back from Chris
I will post more when I have more information  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 08:51:13 PM
Very nice!

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 03:23:10 AM
Initial impressions:

1. Nicely designed pliers head. Jaws well aligned. Tips meet for precise grip.
2. Very smooth opening handles
3. Integral bit holder works well and has small magnet to hold bits
4. Real hex bits
5. Included 1/4" drive hex-bit holder
6. 1/4" driver works with bit holder and locks in 90º and straight positions
7. Tools open fairly smoothly and all lock into place (No Wspeed issues)
8. Nice set of integral tools (plain blade, serrated blade, Philips driver, can & bottle openers w/ flat drivers, large flat driver (chisel?), saw, file, "jeweler's" flat driver
9. Blades are fairly sharp. Plain edge able to slice thin magazine paper.
10. Arrived in good condition and was well oiled.
11. Looks like it could be disassembled easily with a pair of torx drivers

Concerns:

1. Uneven grind on pliers tips
2. I am a little concerned that distal corners of the wire cutters will interfere with the bolt/nut gripper section of pliers
3. Saw and file lock up, but are loose (plain and serrated blades lock up well)
4. Saw seems short (saw is shorter than the blades and handles seem to have room to spare)
5. File is dull. Teeth seem useless. I was able to put a slight chamfer on some wood using the double cut side, and notch some wood with the thin edge. I could not do any useful work on a tin can. I immediately find this tool to be useless. IT has the appearance of a file, but no function.
6. "Chisel" is dull. The packaging describes one tool as being a "chisel", but it seems more like a large flat driver. Might be a good scraper or light pry tool.
7. "Jeweler's driver" seems a bit big. I was able to tighten some screws on eyeglasses with it however. So that's a plus, but remains a concern
8. The grinds on the can opener are very obtuse and sloppy (they seem amateurish compared to a Victorinox can opener). I actually wondered if the can opener would function and tested it on an empty can. It did function, but seems to punch through the lid more than cut it. It will open cans, but is not efficient or clean.
9. The corners of the handle scales feel sharp and uncomfortable in a bare hand. I'll use it as it comes for a while, but expect that I'll end up using a diamond file to round and soften the handle scales.
10. Nice little angle measuring feature on the pivots. However, the print is too fine for these old eyes to read easily, even with reading glasses, and the scribe lines to  measure the angle are rather faint and difficult to read
11. I'm worried the shoulders of the pliers/integral bit holder will limit the use of the bits where a long reach or small space are factors.
12. The sheath is a hot mess. There is a nice sleeve for the hex bits and bit holder, but when the bit holder is in the sleeve, the sheath doesn't close evenly. The bit holder is wider than the sheath's depth. The sheath is meant to be MOLLE compatible, but it appears (not tested yet) that the bit holder twists the sheath and will make it tough to use the sheath with MOLLE gear (I'll test later). Without the bit holder in the sheath, the sheath does work well. Makes me wonder if SOG tested the sheath before production. 

Overall:

I doubt I would have purchased this tool if I had handled it in a store, instead of getting it blindly through an MTo group buy. The quality just isn't readily apparent.

There are a number of small issues that raise concerns for me. SOG appears to have continuing QC issues, based on this one tool. The fact that the file is essentially useless really bothers me and makes me wonder if the other tools will hold up to use and wear.  I'm left with a number of troubling questions Why the poor finishing? Why the useless file? Why the poorly designed sheath? Was the can opener just an afterthought?  These questions lead me to believe (perhaps wrongly) that SOG is focused on the pliers aspect of the tool, and is merely popping some tools they don't really care about into the hollows of the handle.

However, whinging and negative impressions aside, many tools seem to grow on me with use, so I'm looking forward to doing a 30-day challenge with this multitool and putting it through some testing. I'll try to keep an open mind and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  In my experience SOGs "files"  have been absolutely worthless for quite some time.  It drives me bonkers.  I would almost rather there be a spacer in place of the file on their MTs.  At least then I might be spared the momentary rage of not even being able to file down a finger nail the one time I have a brain fart and actually try to use the "file" to file something.  Silly me.... :bnghd:

Sorry for the rant but geez, how hard can it be?  The other guys certainly have it figured out.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 12:55:24 PM
I am still waiting for a reply at the moment from Chris@SOG
But as soon as I hear back from him
I will let you all know what is happened  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 01:11:49 PM

Cheers
Chris
Thanks for stopping by and helping Wspeed get it sorted out.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 02:06:49 PM
Hey y'all,

Wspeed and I are currently ironing out details for a proposed challenge for the PowerAccess.

Initial idea is for a three-tier challenge that would include the PowerAccess Deluxe and the regular PowerAccess.
Level 1 = complete 30 day challenge with regular PowerAccess.
Level 2 = complete 30 day challenge with the big boy PowerAccess Deluxe.
Level 3 = complete 30-day challenge by carrying and using both the PowerAccess AND PowerAccess Deluxe. :ahhh

Thinking June 1st would be a good start date to give any participants time to receive their PowerAccess Deluxe (and complete any warranty work that may need to be done) or time to order a regular PowerAccess.

Nix,
We are still throwing ideas around in PMs, so please let us know if these ideas would be cool. You're the architect of a very successful challenge (buck 110 fools), so any input would be appreciated.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 04:11:40 PM
Well, I'm in, whatever you guys decide, but I can't start until 06 June (I'm flying before that date and don't think I'll be checking my bag, so carry will not be an option until after that.  :()

I've found that the 30-day challenges are actually a bit short. I don't seem to get enough time to really test out the tool/knife in question, given all the distractions in any 30-day span. I think I'd really like to test this beastie (PAD), and I started to toy with the idea of a "Power Access Summer Challenge".

Yeah.....you know what I'm thinking: an entire summer challenge. 21 June to 22 Sep. One Summer, one tool. Put your Gerbers and Leathermans away, just the SOG for an entire Summer, every day.

But wait......there's more.....we could throw in some required specific tasks. Tasks that would require using every tool at least once. There'd be a checklist for participants to complete. So it would be both a time and task challenge.

Too much?  :think:

No; not for MTo.    :viking: :cheers:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:13:08 PM by Nix »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 04:53:38 PM
I like the idea of a summer challenge, but I have sooo many MTs I'd like to try out. So, I would only want to do 30-day myself. I own about 145 MTs right now. And want to try soo many of them out. :ahhh
I love the checklist though! We'll definitely consider that in the challenge thread. As with any challenge, latecomers are perfectly welcome as always. :cheers:

We could make a checklist for both Access versions! I would only want do a challenge for 30 days myself, but there is no reason you couldn't keep posting pics and letting everyone know your thoughts regarding it. Others may join you in the extended challenge as well. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%