Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TTC Strikes again

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
TTC Strikes again
on: May 02, 2018, 02:23:44 AM
Just saw a guy on FB trying to sell these awesome Rebar mods.... see anything wrong with them?   :facepalm:

Def
Screenshot_20180501-202210.jpg
* Screenshot_20180501-202210.jpg (Filesize: 319.84 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: TTC Strikes again
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:50:09 AM
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:57:07 AM by Obi1shinobee »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 03:48:09 AM
Just saw a guy on FB trying to sell these awesome Rebar mods.... see anything wrong with them?   :facepalm:

Def

The only thing i feel thats wrong are that they are selling TOO CHEAP!!! These are highly collectibles dude!!  :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:56:36 AM
Nice! Then you can get some donor Rebars and swap heads. Oh, wait...  ::)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11:29 AM
I want to save $5. Can you guys tell me how to fix a torqued Rebar? :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 12:18:11 PM
so,
non replaceable cutters ---> minus 2$
useless cap crimper ---> minus $6
mixed colors and finishes with ugly result ---> minus $10
not covered by warranty --->  minus $15

but, instead of taking it from the price, they added it to it    :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:22:24 PM
This kind of thing actually makes me remarkably angry.

Let's face it, one of the main reasons for buying a Rebar is the plier head with the replaceable cutters, and it has been taken out and replaced with the standard Charge/Wave head, which basically means it has been downgraded from what it was originally.

The Rebar, according to Leatherman has an MSRP of $59.95, which means that you can usually pick them up for $50 or less, so why the hell would someone pay $80 for a downgraded one?  Or $75 for one that is "slighty torqued," whatever that means?

And, with no warranty on these, the user is completely up a certain creek without a paddle.

I really want to like TTC, but the very fact that they are allowing these to sell with their name on it, well, I am very disappointed in them.  They could at least offer to warranty the tools since they did the work on them.  Heck, I bought exactly the same "customized tool" from a member here for around $20 a couple of years ago, and if I recall correctly, I sold it for the same amount to another member. 

This is a serious rip off, and I feel bad for anyone who gets sucked into this one.  I have been very tempted to make a comment on the post telling people how smurfed up this is and that they should stay away, but instead I decided to just mention it here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:30:00 PM
This kind of thing actually makes me remarkably angry.

Let's face it, one of the main reasons for buying a Rebar is the plier head with the replaceable cutters, and it has been taken out and replaced with the standard Charge/Wave head, which basically means it has been downgraded from what it was originally.

The Rebar, according to Leatherman has an MSRP of $59.95, which means that you can usually pick them up for $50 or less, so why the hell would someone pay $80 for a downgraded one?  Or $75 for one that is "slighty torqued," whatever that means?

And, with no warranty on these, the user is completely up a certain creek without a paddle.

I really want to like TTC, but the very fact that they are allowing these to sell with their name on it, well, I am very disappointed in them.  They could at least offer to warranty the tools since they did the work on them.  Heck, I bought exactly the same "customized tool" from a member here for around $20 a couple of years ago, and if I recall correctly, I sold it for the same amount to another member. 

This is a serious rip off, and I feel bad for anyone who gets sucked into this one.  I have been very tempted to make a comment on the post telling people how smurfed up this is and that they should stay away, but instead I decided to just mention it here.

Def

there will always be fools, rich people and fanatic/fanboys, but as they say

a fool and his money are soon parted,
these smurfs know how to make profit from them  :twak: 

sorry but if it were me, I'd have commented on it  :salute:  I believe I owe it to the community
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 12:34:59 PM
I do indeed.  This community.

I am not the Savior for everyone else.  Multitool.org members look after our own.

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 12:45:32 PM
I would've commented too.

But that might be my impulsivity...
:facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 12:49:40 PM
Honestly, I mostly didn't because this is another online dealer, and, as an online dealer myself (sort of) it looks really bad for me to take pot shots at someone else.  And, I know how annoying it is when someone takes a shot at you in public like that, so I really don't want to get into that.

Maybe if it was TTC directly I'd feel differently, but I hate taking shots at dealers who are often just trying to pass along the smurf they are given.

Def

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 01:51:53 PM
so,
non replaceable cutters ---> minus 2$
useless cap crimper ---> minus $6
mixed colors and finishes with ugly result ---> minus $10
not covered by warranty --->  minus $15

but, instead of taking it from the price, they added it to it    :facepalm:

:facepalm:

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 03:42:51 PM
Offer and demand. simple as that!
Enjoy!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 11:42:07 PM
There was a time when TTC sold these off on eBay as lots as clearance. It is obvious that they harvested components on these Rebars and upgraded the Charge TTis (likely). I can hardly blame TTC for these creations.

I do not think TTC serialized these.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:43:45 PM by chrono »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 12:20:20 AM
While I generally agree with the spirit and most details of this thread...are we convinced that the replaceable cutter plyers are indeed an upgrade?

I love my Rebar. Been carrying it daily since September. How's that for a challange? But when I compare plyers heads, especially with the New Charge and Wingman Plus series, I have to wonder how weak the plyers may be, due to the material removed. Someone on here has had numerous fails of the replaceable wire cutter plyers...

Having said that, I am also of the opinion that the cap crimper heads are mostly useless and are also weakened in comparison to the regular plyers  heads, so...yeah. I wouldn't buy these for half the normal price, never mind what these jamokes are askin'

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 04:14:41 AM
I want scissors in a Rebar but not for $80 and not with the pliers downgraded. If Leatherman ever offered a Rebar with scissors I'd be standing in line for it.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62