Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ever hear of the Time Bomb Clock?

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Ever hear of the Time Bomb Clock?
on: May 02, 2018, 10:13:21 AM

My wife and I have been together for many years now, we just made it "legal" last year and I wanted to get her something nice, and 1st year anniversary is "Paper" who gives paper?! like cash? don't think so but the traditional present is clocks, cool I can do that.

So through careful prodding and asking questions I found out she's always wanted a "Domed Clock" you know the cool brass ones you see on desks and shelves with a glass dome, no problem. I look online and tons of cheapie plastic ones with terrible reviews so I look on the selling sites (ebay, etsy etc) and I found a cool 60's all metal still working "Elgin" domed clock, one I think she really wanted (her grandma had one like it) so I order it (around 200 usd) and then I do some research for general maintenance like oiling and adjustments and basic repairs etc and I find out this type of clock can explode!! and throw shrapnel through the glass at any time!!!

This clock/brand was outlawed in the 80's (look up Elgin German Time Bomb Clock if you want to see the info/warnings) some clocks still get through/sold  ::) and some sites say you can repair it and it can be safe if your careful.  Apparently the spring can snap if you over wind it or the coupler gets old (plastic part) "BOOM!" pieces go flying through the glass. WTF why would anybody take the chance? some gift huh  :facepalm:  So through lots of emails and reports to the etsy I get refunded and the order gets canceled. I got her a nice wall clock instead...

Beware of this clock if you have one/want one or are near one! :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Ever hear of the Time Bomb Clock?
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:01:25 AM
I want one!  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:02:49 PM

I want you to have one too!  :P

Seriously, yes, this was actually a common enough problem with timepieces back in the day.  Who hasn't seen a cartoon or comedy where a watch "explodes" usually with a "sproing" type sound effect?  Like any clockwork items, overwinding is a serious problem.  The difference was, that with a watch the components were small, and the crystal (and face) usually popped off rather than shattering, and there wasn't a lot of danger to be had.  With a larger mantle clock there is a lot ore pressure built up in the spring, and wrapping the whole thing in thick, heavy "protective"  :facepalm: glass was a recipe for disaster when that much pressure would let go.

And, in those days, that would have been lead glass, which is prone to breaking into larger shards, which is why we don't use it in cars and things these days as they were deadly.  If one had the ability to mould glass, it would be kind of cool to make replacement domes for these types of clocks out of a safety laminated glass that would be a lot safer, and a lot cleaner if the worst did happen, but look 100% normal and authentic the rest of the time.

But then there's also the point that it didn't just explode for no reason- they were usually overwound, so if you didn't overwind it the chances of this happening were relatively slim!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 01:42:03 PM

Seriously, yes, this was actually a common enough problem with timepieces back in the day.  Who hasn't seen a cartoon or comedy where a watch "explodes" usually with a "sproing" type sound effect?  Like any clockwork items, overwinding is a serious problem.  The difference was, that with a watch the components were small, and the crystal (and face) usually popped off rather than shattering, and there wasn't a lot of danger to be had.  With a larger mantle clock there is a lot ore pressure built up in the spring, and wrapping the whole thing in thick, heavy "protective"  :facepalm: glass was a recipe for disaster when that much pressure would let go.

And, in those days, that would have been lead glass, which is prone to breaking into larger shards, which is why we don't use it in cars and things these days as they were deadly.  If one had the ability to mould glass, it would be kind of cool to make replacement domes for these types of clocks out of a safety laminated glass that would be a lot safer, and a lot cleaner if the worst did happen, but look 100% normal and authentic the rest of the time.

But then there's also the point that it didn't just explode for no reason- they were usually overwound, so if you didn't overwind it the chances of this happening were relatively slim!

Def

I read somewhere that the recommendation is to wind them up only one turn, which makes the clock work for 8 days (instead of the 400 days that you get if you wind it up all the way until just before it says BOOM!  :P)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:44:08 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 02:38:02 PM

Def

I read somewhere that the recommendation is to wind them up only one turn, which makes the clock work for 8 days (instead of the 400 days that you get if you wind it up all the way until just before it says BOOM!  :P)
What the smurf!
You can wind up a clock enough to make it last a year?! :sa: :like:
Why does anyone even use battery powered clocks then?!

All hail the hook!

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 02:45:15 PM

Def

What the smurf!
You can wind up a clock enough to make it last a year?! :sa: :like:
Why does anyone even use battery powered clocks then?!

It's a so called 400 day clock ;)

We probably use battery powered clocks because they don't blow your head off when they are overstrung  :D

^-- where the cat sits

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 02:59:50 PM
Plus folks hate having to go to the effort of winding a clock every bloody day.  I mean, come on, who has the time for that?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 03:31:42 PM
Well in this case:

Plus folks hate having to go to the effort of winding a clock every bloody day year.  I mean, come on, who has the time for that?

Def

:D

^-- where the cat sits

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:38:09 PM
Well in this case:

Plus folks hate having to go to the effort of winding a clock every bloody day year.  I mean, come on, who has the time for that?

Def

:D
:imws:
How long does it take to wind a years worth up? Or lets say half a year, to be on the safe side? :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 05:50:15 AM
Holy smurf! Maybe just stick to the battery powered Kit-Cat Klock.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 06:53:33 AM
I've worked on mantle clocks on and off for about ten years. I can do maintenance and minor repairs, but have never heard of the spring breaking and releasing enough power to leave the movement body on its' own. But, I can see how it could happen and just looked that up. And it has happened. Crazy. :ahhh

Most newer windup clocks(and older high-end) have the spring housed in a "spring barrel", so the spring doesn't destroy the movement if/when it breaks.
I guess I have been tempting fate when I clamp and remove these ribbon/coil springs for repair. :ahhh

I wear safety glasses when I do that though. Know a guy who lost an eye and part of his face when a drum spring(the mainspring in a Victrola for example) uncoiled on him. Clock spring can hurt you fairly bad as well if suddenly uncoiled. First part of learning antique clock repair should be spring safety/awareness.
A 400 day clock is sometimes called an anniversary clock. The steel thickness is much more substantial than springs found in 30day and 8day windup clocks. So, I guess I can imagine an unhoused spring uncoiling and breaking the glass. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 10:33:59 PM
I was reading some clocks even "snap/exploded" just sitting there because the coupler holding the spring gave way (I think in the 60's Elgin started using plastic parts...that last forever right... UNTIL THEY GET BRITTLE!! :facepalm: )

So just over winding is not the only cause for flying metal and glass :ahhh

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 02:41:04 AM
I heard that Chrysler, Ford and GM also kill people...who would have thunk it?

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 05:48:19 AM

yes because when we buy a clock we also think large machine that can hurt/kill you ::)
apples n oranges

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 08:21:01 AM
Judgement day! :ahhh
Rise of the killer clocks

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 11:12:02 AM

yes because when we buy a clock we also think large machine that can hurt/kill you ::)
apples n oranges
Wound up big heavy springs have lots of potential energy in them.... that could be turned into lots of kinetic energy and kill you, if the thing holding them in place breaks. Who would have thunk it? 

Simple physics/chemistry... anything that can store energy is dangerous.
Springs, fuel, batteries, moving stuff, etc.

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 11:23:58 AM
Humans...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 12:03:21 PM
I have never heard of a clock doing this :ahhh On the surface a clock seems like a perfectly innocent and nice gift :like: but apparently it is just a deathtrap waiting to happen :ahhh

Congrats on the anniversary and here's to many more WD :tu: :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 12:08:40 PM
Humans...
They might be the most dangerous of them all!
Get them away from me!  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 12:46:14 PM
An issue I wasn't aware of...but good warning. I will be sure to stay well clear of this type of clock...just in case.  :ahhh
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 07:40:48 PM

apples n oranges

No its no different...it’s all about maintenance. I have been restoring, repairing clocks and pocket watches for thirty five years as a hobby... a wound up spring is dangerous, but containable safely. Do not stop buying anniversary clocks because of the potential risks. Gees might as well disconnect your home from the grid...fire hazards. Just my opinion though and I respect everyone else’s, just be cautious. And follow manufacturer’s instructions.

:)

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 09:28:21 PM

apples n oranges

No its no different...it’s all about maintenance. I have been restoring, repairing clocks and pocket watches for thirty five years as a hobby... a wound up spring is dangerous, but containable safely. Do not stop buying anniversary clocks because of the potential risks. Gees might as well disconnect your home from the grid...fire hazards. Just my opinion though and I respect everyone else’s, just be cautious. And follow manufacturer’s instructions.

I'm pretty sure most of us never think of danger when we by a clock! and as you know most clocks are not dangerous, made right and safe (like many spring clocks) but with a dangerous spring, made poorly in an unsafe housing, inside of glass not a good idea and MY POINT of this thread was to let people know of this possible danger and problem, education and awareness NOT BASHING USA COMPANIES like you like to do. SAVE YOUR USA BASHING FOR YOUR OWN THREAD

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 10:26:58 PM
WhichDawg,

I am sorry you feel that way, and even more concerned that my comments are the cause. I did not mean to derail your thread; intented as a Warning. With respect to your comment regarding company bashing, I agree that it looks like I am bashing a certain nationality. I will endeavour to choose better examples when trying to make a point, or even in joking.

But thinking back Sir, there are such corporations here with the exact same names; therefore I am not even sure which I was referring to when typing my first reply. The only thing I am sure of, is that I never intended to bash any nation’s hard working folks or companies. Again I apologize for my misplaced humour and encourage all the readers of this public thread to heed your warning and use this information in deciding whether to purchase certain clock types; or not. I hope that this clarifies the misunderstanding I caused, if not, please let me know what other action you would like me to take.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:27:52 PM by Marc_in_NS »

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 12:06:28 AM
 :salute:

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 12:49:42 AM
:salute:

Thanks WhichDawg...I really felt bad.
The least I can do is spell your handle properly... LOL
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:51:29 AM by Marc_in_NS »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 05:38:36 PM
Plus folks hate having to go to the effort of winding a clock every bloody day.  I mean, come on, who has the time for that?

Def

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 05:41:23 PM
Humans...

Yup... The energy I must have stored, by spending entire weekends in the couch, binge watching TV series... I'm a time bomb!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 05:44:32 PM

apples n oranges

I'm pretty sure most of us never think of danger when we by a clock! and as you know most clocks are not dangerous, made right and safe (like many spring clocks) but with a dangerous spring, made poorly in an unsafe housing, inside of glass not a good idea and MY POINT of this thread was to let people know of this possible danger and problem, education and awareness NOT BASHING USA COMPANIES like you like to do. SAVE YOUR USA BASHING FOR YOUR OWN THREAD

Is there a thread for bashing USA companies?! Cool! Where is it?

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
On second thought... isn't everything american now made in China? I keep hearing people complaining about knives and MTs and cars and lots of "american" stuff now being made there...

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 06:04:29 PM
 :facepalm:
[insert smiley poking a hornets nest here]

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds