Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Access to Power -SOG 30-day Challenge! Starting June 1st! Access & Access Deluxe

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Sad news, my brother MTo'ers.....

I have decide to trade in my SOG PAD for a SOG Powerlock.

In discussions with Amanda, she has convinced me that the Powerlock has a better track record and is the better mutlitool. I have to say that Amanda seems to have good sense, experience, and a deft touch on the pulse of SOG. I sincerely hope that SOG is listening to Amanda and her observations. If I could, I'd take her to lunch and pick her her brain. (Hey, maybe I will. I'll ask her if she'll go to lunch with me.)

At this point, I am formally withdrawing from the PAD challenge. I'm sorry to say that I do feel a sense of relief with this decision.

Look for my review of the SOG Powerlock in the future, "somewhere down the Crazy River". I hope you all continue to have fun with the PAD challenge. I hope the mods award you a nice badge. Lord knows, I think you deserve it.  :tu:  :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:21:47 AM by Nix »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
I hope you have better luck with the Powerlock Nix :tu:
It’s a shame you have to stop the challenge
Look forward to see your new Powerlock
when you get it :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Well, the 'T's' aren't dotted and the 'I's' aren't crossed, so we'll see how it awl evolves.  :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Nix,

I would probably do the same if I were in your shoes. But, I already have six PowerLocks (different generations). Don't need or want another.
I think the PowerLock is superior to the PAD in many respects. The only qualm I have with PowerLocks is that the tools don't lock up tight. But, to be honest, they really don't need to. The lock bar is situated in a way that keeps the lock bar from disengaging. The awl isn't very good though. The file works fine, but the cut area is short compared to the competition.

The basic PowerLock is about $48 on amazon. But, you might look around and see if you like a more expensive PowerLock model and request it. I have the one with one plain blade and one serrated blade. Some versions of the PowerLock are more expensive than the PAD. Depends on the toolset.

I'll be watching for your PowerLock thread, Nix. And will be wishing your PAD experience had gone better.  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Day 19:
Used the can opener driver to put the old turn-switch onto a new wire.
20180619_144347-1.jpeg
* 20180619_144347-1.jpeg (Filesize: 123.57 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
well Nix, good luck oth the PL  :salute:  I would've done the same, the PL is a beast, well built (Chinese and USA made both) and most importantly a proven and tested design :tu:

it's not the best at anything (well, pliers action and strength is debatable) but is very good in most things, especially if you don't have very specific needs such as OHO blades, bit exchangers etc. (though the 1/4" implement works fine)

also advantageous is the fact that they are incredibly easy to mod to change what you don't like and add what you prefer  :cheers:

I put LM scissors, Phillips, can opener and other tools' saw in it, it's also a very fun tool to play with and open and close like a butterfly   :gimme:

Show content

Enjoy it!! Look at the different versions and choose the best one if they let you, there are interesting variations  :pok:  but don't get carried away too much and ask for a TiNi Gold Plated LE Powerlock  :whistle: :D

PS: the pizza invention looked delicious, you outdid yourself this time in the Kitchen!!!  :drool:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I think I'm getting a standard Powerlock, which is just fine by me. I'm definitely interested in comparing/looking at this multitool.

Cool mods there, El P!   :tu:  I like the scissors idea.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:31:30 PM by Nix »

• Zombie Apprentice
The standard PL is a tool that has been appreciated, with only minor changes, since 1998. They did add gear covers (ear looking things) and slimmed down the profile on the newest variants ( the 2.0). Don't know if they'll send a slimmed down model, but the standard chasis is a great too. The covers can be removed in a second (like TP has done) if they are annoying. And there are some ways of selecting the tool you need without having to open the tool all the way up to open a cover to select a tool.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Day 20

Day 20 already  :woohoo:
So for today I opened a bottle of WKD for the missus
To celebrate only 10 days of the challenge left :cheers:

Again no problems using the bottle opener  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
 :tu:

Looks refreshing.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
+1!
Experience tells me that implement works well ;)

Sorry to read you're exchanging tools and leaving the challenge Nix, it was fun to have you in...

My Day 20 saw the PAD in a symbolic assistant gardener role.

5202018183149.jpg
* 5202018183149.jpg (Filesize: 268.2 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Nice pic D_T :tu: :like: :like:
You must be a pro at opening bottles by now  :D :tu:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:35:52 PM by Wspeed »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
:hatsoff: :drink: :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
My PAD has now been shipped back to SOG.

I sincerely hope that someone will look at it and think about how the PAD production line could be improved. And that can opener design, hey, that's a straight up gift.

I'll be watching as you guys continue on with the challenge. If not here in photos, I'll be here in spirit!  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Day 20. Hard day at work. Cleaned the PAD up a bit. It had some surface rust spots on the lock bars, because of sweat proximity. It has been HOT here. The finish is actually pretty good with rust resistance. A few spots in 20 days may be a personal record for a tool that isn't high-polished. :)
20180620_205839-1.jpeg
* 20180620_205839-1.jpeg (Filesize: 125.1 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Day 20

Day 20 already  :woohoo:
So for today I opened a bottle of WKD for the missus
To celebrate only 10 days of the challenge left :cheers:

Again no problems using the bottle opener  :tu:

Well, I read NKD in that bottle of refreshing beverage,  ???
unless of course you referred to it as "Wspeed's Kooling  Device" in whic case it all makes sense  :D
and would be an appropriate acronym if you feel Proud And Delighted with it  :whistle: :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
If you look at the bottle it says
in small WKD which is the company
And NKD is one of the
different drinks that they do :rofl: :pok:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
If you look at the bottle it says
in small WKD which is the company
And NKD is one of the
different drinks that they do :rofl: :pok:

very true,
I beg your Pardon. Apologies. Digressing is typical from me in Challenge thread in which I do not participate  :D
My toys:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
 :cheers: :like: :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Day 21

This morning I did some test
cutting with the serrated blade

I found a few different bits to use
Some rope a belt some webbing
garden hose and some trimmer wire

No problems cutting anything I tried
The garden hose was a bit harder to cut
But easier than when I tried the PE blade
Overall a good sharp serrated blade  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Great test on the blade, W!

I have gotten more confident in the blade design since the beginning, where I had assumed, it looked like the blades were a bit whispy. They seem to be hardened properly. :)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Great test on the blade, W!

I have gotten more confident in the blade design since the beginning, where I had assumed, it looked like the blades were a bit whispy. They seem to be hardened properly. :)
The blades are thin but seem to be nice quality  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Great testing, W.   :tu:

I, too, found that the blades seemed to work well.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Great testing, W.   :tu:

I, too, found that the blades seemed to work well.
The blades are working properly and still sharp  :cheers: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
in general I've found SOG blades to be well hardened, good cutters (geometry and factory edge) and tough (for drilling, prying, scraping and bending which I've admittedly done with them  :whistle:)

the one in my Blacktip is excellent, good grind, smooth and solid, long and wide, reminds me of a SAK blade
 ::)

Show content

and the one in the PP came super sharp  :ahhh  and the serrated portion cut effectively rope and wrapping bands, while the PE did great in cutting boxes and scraping wood splinters and slivers in my old wooden windows  :tu:

Show content

I prefer them to Leatherman, Victorinox and Gerber blades for the most part (except for the Wave, Surge and MP800 blades)  :salute:
My toys:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
My PE blade is very sharp it
can even shave hair off my arm  :cheers:
Nice cut TP  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Day 21. Not my usual work, but used the bit set and driver on the PAD to remove and re-install(after repair) the broken door to a kitchen island we bought to resell.

The outboard accessible driver tool seems to make setting up the adapter and bits easier. Not sure if it makes enough difference to matter, in regard to inboard drivers, but it feels quicker when using it.
20180621_123413-1.jpeg
* 20180621_123413-1.jpeg (Filesize: 97.35 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Nice one GLBM  :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
The PAD does provide a nice range of options when it comes to drivers.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00