Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Access to Power -SOG 30-day Challenge! Starting June 1st! Access & Access Deluxe

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I did the same as D_T and never had a problem with the snap coming undone.   :tu:

But I still don't like that sheath.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
The popper on the back of the
pouch worked well today with D_Ts tip :cheers:

But I still would like to see a popper
on the flap I Don’t like Velcro on a pouch 
But even with a popper on the flap
it’s still a rubbish pouch and doesn’t work
The bit set is in the wrong place
and that stops the flap to sit straight  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:14:57 PM by Wspeed »
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Wspeed, Nix, have you tried putting both the tool and the bit holder in the main pocket? Tight fit, but no rattle.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Wspeed, Nix, have you tried putting both the tool and the bit holder in the main pocket? Tight fit, but no rattle.
I have but didn’t like it  :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I didn't try that. I'm surprised to hear there is enough space to do that. Had I kept the PAD, I would have made my own sheath for it, probably with a single pocket for both PAD and bit set.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Post 1/2 for challenge checklist completion.

Bought a pack of diet Coke in the glass bottles for the cap lifter test. The cap lifter worked flawlessly. No issue with that, but then again, that is a hard tool to mess up.
20180629_213304-1.jpeg
* 20180629_213304-1.jpeg (Filesize: 162.22 KB)
20180629_213354.jpeg
* 20180629_213354.jpeg (Filesize: 86.23 KB)
20180629_213417-1.jpeg
* 20180629_213417-1.jpeg (Filesize: 86.01 KB)
20180629_213453-1.jpeg
* 20180629_213453-1.jpeg (Filesize: 78.9 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Post 2/2 for challenge checklist completion.

The measurement markers are pretty lame, but so are markings on most MTs(although Vic, LM and Gerber have more legible markings in general). Never a reliable measuring device. This is the first time I have used an MT to measure something. :ahhh
The blade cut the paper from the inside perfectly, but I had to use a saw motion to start the cut from the edge of the paper. After the initial sawing, the cut was fine. Seems about like it did when I started the challenge.

Checklist completed.  :tu:

Thank you again, Nix! The checklist made this one of the (if not THE) most comprehensive challenges on MT.o.  :cheers:

I will write an in-depth assessment as soon as I can to cover the toolset, feel, impressions, comparisons, and thoughts. :tu:
One more challenge day tomorrow. PAD is ready. :)
20180629_213655-1.jpeg
* 20180629_213655-1.jpeg (Filesize: 160.51 KB)
20180629_214433-1.jpeg
* 20180629_214433-1.jpeg (Filesize: 112.17 KB)
20180629_215452-1.jpeg
* 20180629_215452-1.jpeg (Filesize: 228.59 KB)
20180629_214646-1.jpeg
* 20180629_214646-1.jpeg (Filesize: 148.88 KB)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:33:23 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Day 30
Challenge completion post

This marks my completion of the 30-day Power Access Deluxe challenge. I'll be rating the various tools at points/10 below.

As visible from the narrower of the pics below, the PE blade still cuts as well as it did when new - a small blade-lengthwise movement on the edge of the sheet was enough to start the cut, with occasional like movements being necessary to proceed, without actual sawing being needed; no tears. Truth to tell, I have not used the PE blade excessively, but I did various cuts on rope and whittling on a wood stick, and I have not once touched up the blade. It is a tad slim (due to constructional details of the PAD - I'll come to that) but at least it uses the space available to it when folded to the fullest extent. I'll give it 8 points.

The SE blade, likewise, appears as sharp as ever. What I wrote above on the space usage of the PE blade applies here as well. 8 points.

The saw blade works quite well for its length. The saw teeth are still not noticeably duller than in the beginning - to the contrary, the finishing imperfections I noticed earlier (small residual barbs of thin metal about some of the planes on the teeth when unused) have disappeared after a few cuts, and any cutting impairment one might have imagined to be caused by them have as well. However (and this applies to the file as well) it could easily have been made at least 9mm longer and still fold into its space in the handle - one point demerit. 7 points.

The file. Volumes have been written about this. This combines the dubious distinctions of being by far the worst implement on the PAD and the worst file I personally have ever encountered on any multitool I have handled so far. While it works (through side effects of an imperfect cutting, no doubt) the grooves are ridiculously shallow and do not result in actual teeth being formed between them. Despite all this however, it does take off some metal when applied, at a fraction of the rate any other file achieves - although this appears to be the result of chance rather than design. 1 point.

The cap lifter and medium screwdriver work more or less as advertised, although some demerits are due for the rounded-off screwdriver blade edges, making purchase iffy on slotted-head screws (offset by slightly better usability on Phillips), the restricted reach due to the shape of the remainder of the tool and the slightly awkward hook angle on the cap lifter, resulting in some caps' edges not being caught immediately. 8 points.

The can opener and small screwdriver: the latter is OK apart from the same problems as the medium one; the can opener works, albeit at a slower rate than some other multitool can openers I know. There is a strange mismatch between the design, which appears to be made for left-handed clockwise opening motion, and its location, which kind of makes that impossible due to the bulk of tools and handle being in the way. The edge, though, is reasonably usable and could be sharpened if needed. The rating applies to mine - I hear there is a huge quality spread on the PADs out there. 6 points.

The jeweler's screwdriver is actually quite good: sharp edges on the blade help purchase and the long shaft adds reach. One demerit for a minor bend in the shaft. Still, 9 points.

The Phillips has a good head, allowing very small screws to be turned as well as larger ones, on a strangely awkwardly formed shaft. Beats me why it was formed this way, as it is necessary neither for its function nor for reaching the other tools, and severely limits reach e.g. on recessed screws. 7 points.

The large screwdriver / prying tool is pretty sturdy, but its one almost beveled edge makes purchase on slotted screws awkward, and as a prying tool one would have expected a notch. I have not ground it down to a chisel - that would probably work OK, I am guessing. 7 points.

The awl works as advertised, and its edge is easy to sharpen if one is so inclined. 8 points.

The best part of this tool apart from the compound leverage pliers are the multiple possibilities of using either the accompanying bit set or all generic 1/4" bits or extensions. This is very practical per se - the PAD adds to this two ways of using these, one as part of the back ends of the pliers (magnet helps keeping bits in place - the one downside is that one has to keep applying pressure to apply torque) and one dedicated stub as one of the handle tools, with as a bonus a 90° detent slot for added torque leverage if needed. 9 points.

Then the pliers. I have never previously owned a SOG and I really like the pliers. Compound leverage makes for doubled gripping strength at the cost of more handle splay and more space needed in the tool for the pliers at the cost of space available to the remaining tools, especially the longer ones (the blades spring to mind, pun intentional). On my PAD the alignment is perfect, wobble non-existent and the cutters (even if not replaceable) do their job as advertised and show no sign of dulling as yet. 9 points.

The sheath is moderately well designed, I find. Tool and bit set fit in the main pocket and I use the side loop for a light. This double usage of the main pocket adds some out-of-plane bulk but prevents the tool from moving around too much, which would be the case were it the sole resident. The execution, however, is mediocre (sloppy stitching) to poor (horrible velcro quality). Compared to e.g. a Leatherman Cordura Molle sheath with Velcro closure, it is beyond the pale. 3 points.

Overall design, look and feel: initial misgivings regarding the thin tool lock bar springs, as formed by making cutouts in the handle sides, did not turn into problems. The springs still work well and have not broken off. Lock continues to be positive even under adverse strain. One spring was slightly bent out of plane, without impairing the function. The matte metal finish reportedly is not to everyone's taste, but I, for one, don't mind, as it gives a reasonably slip-free grip and is adapted to covert operations for lack of reflection, without becoming entirely invisible if dropped in the underbrush, as a BO tool would. The overall design of the handles and tools is OK and space-saving, keeping in mind the notes applying to the various tools expressed above. The file, though, causes the overall rating to go down sharply. With a good file I'd have given the PAD an 8/10 overall, now it is a 7/10. I am not counting the sheath in this one.

Plans for improvements: I would be untrue to my screen name if I didn't have any ;)
The file: I have a spare ST 300 file lying around which I think can be converted. This would take care of the biggest gripe I have with the PAD.
Sharpening the can opener and awl edges should be easy and bring some benefits.
I might apply a pry bar notch.
I think I'll remove the velcro from the sheath and replace it, either with a better quality velcro, or with snap buttons like on Skinths.

Hope you all enjoyed this writeup, and especially the entire challenge - I surely have, also thanks to the detailed instructions. Many thanks to the initiators :tu: :2tu: :cheers:

530201891610.jpg
* 530201891610.jpg (Filesize: 28.57 KB)
53020189278.jpg
* 53020189278.jpg (Filesize: 147.31 KB)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:10:58 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Day 30

Thanks again Nix for this excellent checklist
it would not of been the same without it :cheers:

Done the cutting test with the PE blade
And the same paper as on day 1

I expected it to be harder to cut
But it was easier as this time I didn’t
have to use any saw motion to cut the paper

Overall it’s a great MT
I found all the tools worked
It’s just the quality control I have a issue with
As all our files are below standards
And the can opener is not the best
And I think the pouch is badly designed

Apart from those 3 things I like the PAD
And totally agree with D_T with his score system
I give the PAD 7/10 :tu:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:03:55 PM by Wspeed »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Congrats fellas for a challenge well done !

Badges will be awarded as they are requested :cheers: :salute: :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Thanks Steve  :cheers: :like: :like:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Great job with the challenge guys And congrats on the badges

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Great job with the challenge guys And congrats on the badges

Thanks RF52  :cheers:
It was a great testing challenge for me
As This is my first SOG product  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Great job guys!  Well done, and nice write ups.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Thanks Nix and for the excellent checklist   :cheers:
Now I will be following your 30 day challenge  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:46:38 PM by Wspeed »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
this was a very cool challenge with unexpected turns, interesting changes of pace and opinion and overall much more thorough and critic review  :gimme: and qualification for the tool and its implements.  ::)

Lots of things going on with this tool,  :ahhh
both in the bad and in the good,  ;)

Day 30
Challenge completion post

This marks my completion of the 30-day Power Access Deluxe challenge. I'll be rating the various tools at points/10 below.

As visible from the narrower of the pics below, the PE blade still cuts as well as it did when new - a small blade-lengthwise movement on the edge of the sheet was enough to start the cut, with occasional like movements being necessary to proceed, without actual sawing being needed; no tears.

even when I have to saw a bit to cut through something because the blade is a bit dull, I don't cry.  :rofl: :facepalm:
Tears are only reserved for blade snapping and total breakage of a valued and good knife  :D

Day 30

Done the cutting test with the PE blade
And the same paper as on day 1

so, not only did the blade not dull a bit like Dutch_Tooler's PAD blade,
but yours got sharper with use!!!  :ahhh :D  :facepalm:

Self Sharpening blades, like Wenger's scissors  :o ::)

Just kiddin you awl!  :cheers:

This was a good challenge and a heated and neat discussion about SOG and its recent doings, achievements and failures  :tu:  Thank you all!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
I am glad that you enjoyed the challenge TP :cheers:
So now that the challenge is finished
Would you buy a SOG PAD  :think:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I am glad that you enjoyed the challenge TP :cheers:
So now that the challenge is finished
Would you buy a SOG PAD  :think:

I doubt it, :P  as I have moooore than enough tools for several lifetimes,  :ahhh
and all my SOGs, Leatherman, Gerber and Victorinox have been bought second hand used or traded, so no new tools for me,   :tu:
but maybe
 if one day in the future somebody lets it go and I have a very good price on it, I will  :salute:

...or maybe I'll wait to the next run with the updated file  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
This was really a great challenge! I appreciate everyone who participated and congrats to the proud few of us who could answer the challenge with a completed checklist.  :cheers:

My last EDC carry pic of the PAD. Cleaned up my work room today and zip tied a bunch of wire up. Used the PAD to snip the ties.
20180630_160814.jpeg
* 20180630_160814.jpeg (Filesize: 120.25 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Nice one GLBM  :like: :like: :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Thank you, gentlemen! :cheers:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Addendum

The file on my PAD has now been replaced with one worthy of the designation. In my book this brings the PAD up to an 8/10 rating. Let us hope SOG will take the hint as an opportunity for some upgrades in future...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:53:40 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Excellent job D_T :cheers: :like: :like:
I told Chris@SOG about the file
All I got back was: I will pass it on to the engineers  ??? :think: :ahhh
I just don’t think that they are
interested or care what we think  :rant:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:32:02 PM by Wspeed »

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Probably not as long as it sells

• Zombie Apprentice
I am going to play devil's advocate for a second. Sorry W.

What else can Chris do, beside pass it on to engineering? Chris is customer service from what I can tell(if this assertion is false, I apologize). He can't really do anything to change the tool's design and build himself. :think:

If I'm incorrect, please let me know. :ahhh

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
I am going to play devil's advocate for a second. Sorry W.

What else can Chris do, beside pass it on to engineering? Chris is customer service from what I can tell(if this assertion is false, I apologize). He can't really do anything to change the tool's design and build himself. :think:

If I'm incorrect, please let me know. :ahhh
The Problem I have is that I told C/S the same file story
When getting my warranty replacement PAD sorted out
And no mention about the file
when they send me more emails back
I gave Chris and C/S the links to our challenge
So maybe they have had a look

I am not blaming Chris for his reply
I am more annoyed that nobody
can see that some of the tools and that Q/C is a joke
And allow them to be sold to customers

Someone in the company must know