Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Zebra F-701 Mod

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Zebra F-701 Mod
on: May 04, 2018, 11:16:55 PM
I've been using pilot G2 pens for over 15 years now. While I like them, or find the gel to skip and not last very long. Plus I always break the clips off.

I've had a bullet space pen and a bigidesign titanium pen (a gift from a good friend), but I don't care  much for caps and much prefer a clicky.

I've thought about a fancy machined pen for a long time, but have never been able to spend the money.

So, today I saw that Staples had zebra pens on sale, buy one, get one 50% off, so I decided to go the poor man's route and do the popular internet mods to the F-701. These are replacing the plastic knock with the metal one from the F-402 and replacing the ink with a space pen refill.

So, I tried to capture the process, but it was a two hand job for most. Basically, you heat the body of the F-402 with a lighter to loosen the threads, unscrew the knock and install it in the 701. The 701 knock came out very easy by hand.

Then you remove the plastic insert from the 701 tip and slightly enlarge the hole to allow for the slightly large diameter of the pace pen refill. Reassemble, and that's all there is to it.

$12 later, and I have a decent poor man's stainless pen.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Zebra F-701 Mod
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 12:08:38 AM
Nice mod.  I've done the same on mine and really enjoy the pen a lot.  Looks and feels every bit pricier than it is. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 01:59:08 PM
Nice job !  sorry it doesn't qualify for the hacker badge as it's not a MT or knife mod.   :cheers:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:44:05 PM
Nice job !  sorry it doesn't qualify for the hacker badge as it's not a MT or knife mod.   :cheers:

Thanks!

I assumed so, but figured no harm in asking :cheers:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%