Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Small Knife Date and Style Identity?

Offline martin1955

• New User
Victorinox Small Knife Date and Style Identity?
on: May 05, 2018, 02:54:49 PM
Hello All

I recently purchased this small Swiss pocket knife in a job lot at auction. It is marked as shown in the images, but I am not able to find another with which to compare it. I believe it likely dates to the 1970's given the style of the finish but would appreciate any help you could give as to the name of the finish and its date.

Many thanks

Martin
IMG_4468.jpg
* IMG_4468.jpg (Filesize: 297.64 KB)
IMG_4466.jpg
* IMG_4466.jpg (Filesize: 243.69 KB)

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Small Knife Date and Style Identity?
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:29:45 PM
Hello All

I recently purchased this small Swiss pocket knife in a job lot at auction. It is marked as shown in the images, but I am not able to find another with which to compare it. I believe it likely dates to the 1970's given the style of the finish but would appreciate any help you could give as to the name of the finish and its date.

Many thanks

Martin
Hi Martin,

I may have a clue. The scales look a bit like they're made of silver, even though I didn't notice any stamp that would attest to that... But it looks a bit like my two 74mm Ambassador with silver scales. They came with a G. Vavassori label.

Maybe it's the same maker... Or another one that makes fancy scales... Like Tiffany or David Yurman does.

If they are indeed silver, I would estimate it could go for at least 200 CHF on the Swiss market.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:33:09 PM by Syem »

Offline martin1955

• New User
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 03:44:49 PM
Hi

Many thanks, yours certainly looks to be the same style, mine may be silver but it would have to be gold plated it has a definite look and feel of gold, this colour may not show up in the photographs. I can find no marking other than a small engraved ref number on the edge which is difficult to photograph but is similar to a watch repairers mark inside the case of a watch. I have attached a photograph which shows it to some degree.

Yours

Martin
IMG_4474.jpg
* IMG_4474.jpg (Filesize: 251.4 KB)

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 02:06:55 PM
Hi

Many thanks, yours certainly looks to be the same style, mine may be silver but it would have to be gold plated it has a definite look and feel of gold, this colour may not show up in the photographs. I can find no marking other than a small engraved ref number on the edge which is difficult to photograph but is similar to a watch repairers mark inside the case of a watch. I have attached a photograph which shows it to some degree.

Yours

Martin

Aah yeah my eyes were deceived. Reminds me of that black and blue VS white and gold dress picture :P

From your second picture I’m wondering if it isn’t (very clean) brass. Either was it’s really cool!

I’m curious to see if you can find it’s origin or if someone has any clue.

Gonna have to add it to my wishlist :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06:25:36 PM
 :nothingtoadd:

Gorgeous SAKs fellas. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 06:36:27 PM
:imws:

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:58 PM
Judging by the scissors, the gold one is pre-'75 and the silver post-'75... but wait, is that a "VICTORIA" stamp on the main blade?  If so, pre '74 (with replaced scissor spring)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%