Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerPint Overview Mighty Little MT

00 Offline roamingcat

Re: PowerPint Overview Mighty Little MT
Reply #150 on: April 16, 2019, 03:45:50 AM
:o
Very very cool, RC! :like:

What kind of magnet did you use for the mod?

For the Pint, I used one 10 x 1mm round magnet. For the LM Wave, I used 2 small 3 x 1.5mm round magnets. I applied double-sided adhesive tape to one side of the magnet to secure it from moving. These are very strong magnets, together with the double-sided adhesive tape I find it very secure and greatly minimize the risk of loosing it.

If you cannot find some spare magnets already stuck on your fridge that you can use, you should be able to source some from your local hardware store or from Amazon. Just do a search for, say, 1mm magnet and there are plenty of choices of many different shapes and sizes.

I am quite happy with the result as it requires almost no effort to fix the issue of the loose handles from opening up.
20190416_092022~02.jpg
* 20190416_092022~02.jpg (Filesize: 156.77 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #151 on: April 16, 2019, 05:42:35 AM
Thanks for the explanation, RC!  :cheers:  :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: April 17, 2019, 09:34:15 AM
Thanks for the explanation RC! :tu: Great to know that other members are trying to improve on this little but mighty MT.  :salute:

I thought up with a mechanical solution for this. A locking latch, beta stage. It somewhat resembles a horse head..  :facepalm: but works wonderfully.

Down side, the tools on the swinging latch side cannot open when the latch is engaged due to the locking tab cannot extend backwards. No biggie. The latched side open with no issue.

Pics below on how it latches.

Latch click into place.

I have to modify a thicker washer with thinner "walls" to allow the latch to enter.

Latched side, tools deploys no issue.

For now, when unused, it disappears into the frame so I have to open up the other tools to dig it out. Doesn't really bother me yet.

Where this part came from? The clip is not tempered and can bend to ridiculous shapes without breaking. Using the larger hole for the pivot. I hate drilling... :P

:cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #153 on: April 17, 2019, 11:56:11 AM
Wonderful solution, Sam! :salute:

Looks like how SOG should have done it at the factory. I like it better than the PowerLitre latch, and I like the PowerLitre latch. :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #154 on: April 17, 2019, 12:05:20 PM
Wonderful solution, Sam! :salute:

Looks like how SOG should have done it at the factory. I like it better than the PowerLitre latch, and I like the PowerLitre latch. :like:

:salute: could u snap a pic for the latch on the PL? I can't see it on all the stock photos.  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #155 on: April 17, 2019, 12:09:45 PM
It is somewhere in the photos I took for this thread.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,78899.msg1777635.html#msg1777635

:tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #156 on: April 17, 2019, 12:32:08 PM
It is somewhere in the photos I took for this thread.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,78899.msg1777635.html#msg1777635

:tu:

Just saw that!  :salute: thanks! Is that plastic?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #158 on: April 17, 2019, 03:05:48 PM
Great work as always, Sam! :like:

:hatsoff: fun things to do!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #159 on: April 17, 2019, 03:06:11 PM
Just saw that!  :salute: thanks! Is that plastic?
All metal. But, what kind of metal? I am not sure. :think:
Feels sturdy though. :)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #160 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:08 PM
All metal. But, what kind of metal? I am not sure. :think:
Feels sturdy though. :)

:tu: all along I thought that was a foil cutter..  :facepalm:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #161 on: April 17, 2019, 04:51:25 PM
Great work Sam, and thank you for sharing !  :like: Can you tell us a little bit more how you converted from the clip to the latch? Did you have to cut out/ fabricate the metal clip to the shape of the latch, and if so, how did you do it? Or if I misunderstood it completely for which I apologize !

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: April 17, 2019, 05:28:27 PM
Great work Sam, and thank you for sharing !  :like: Can you tell us a little bit more how you converted from the clip to the latch? Did you have to cut out/ fabricate the metal clip to the shape of the latch, and if so, how did you do it? Or if I misunderstood it completely for which I apologize !

Yes u are right! Its a cut out from the clip. I have a strange habit of using weird things...  :facepalm: Flatten the clip first, fit the larger hole into pivot. Stare at it for a while. Using the standard eyeball gauge, go trigger happy with the dremel.
IMG_20190417_232227-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20190417_232227-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 120.35 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #163 on: April 17, 2019, 08:42:07 PM
Thanks for the pic, Sam.
I hope SOG has been following this thread.  :cheers:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #164 on: April 18, 2019, 03:22:35 AM
Thank you Sam  :like:

I think this forum should send SOG a bill for "Professional Advice for Product Improvement for the Pint" !

If SOG can release a Pint version 2 with all the improvements as noted above I think it would become a killer EDC.  I am happy to purchase it again, even if they have to charge a little bit more.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: April 18, 2019, 04:14:38 AM
Thank you Sam  :like:

I think this forum should send SOG a bill for "Professional Advice for Product Improvement for the Pint" !

If SOG can release a Pint version 2 with all the improvements as noted above I think it would become a killer EDC.  I am happy to purchase it again, even if they have to charge a little bit more.

They didn't think though the design.. The power access was right in all ways. Pocket clip on the right end and the lock tabs are recessed. Whoever designed the pint made the same mistake for deluxe, play and grab..  :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #166 on: April 18, 2019, 04:18:14 AM
Thanks for the pic, Sam.
I hope SOG has been following this thread.  :cheers:

:salute: :salute: pretty sure someone from there is in here. Stalking..  :pok:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #167 on: May 01, 2019, 03:57:21 PM
I've put together a mini bit kit to extend the capability of our nimble Pint.
PSX_20190501_213431.jpg
* PSX_20190501_213431.jpg (Filesize: 212.61 KB)
PSX_20190501_215053.jpg
* PSX_20190501_215053.jpg (Filesize: 247.09 KB)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:07:53 PM by roamingcat »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #168 on: May 02, 2019, 06:23:26 AM
I've put together a mini bit kit to extend the capability of our nimble Pint.
Very nice setup, roamingcat!  :like:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #169 on: May 02, 2019, 06:59:30 AM
Thank you GLBM ! I am working on your scissors mod for the Pint, hopefully I'll get there soon :drink:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #170 on: May 02, 2019, 07:13:39 AM
Thank you GLBM ! I am working on your scissors mod for the Pint, hopefully I'll get there soon :drink:
Looking forward to see what you come up with, RC! I keep hoping SOG will make another version of the Pint, but with the Litre's swing latch, nice scissors, and driver-tips(like the ones we did) on the openers. But, that said, not gonna hold my breath on that one.  :ahhh

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #171 on: May 02, 2019, 10:18:53 AM
Looking forward to see what you come up with, RC! I keep hoping SOG will make another version of the Pint, but with the Litre's swing latch, nice scissors, and driver-tips(like the ones we did) on the openers. But, that said, not gonna hold my breath on that one.  :ahhh

:iagree: I very much look forward to PP version 2. I think it would be a killer edc, at least it would be for me. I finally went ahead with the scissors mod. I was only able to hand file down the tang a little bit, so not quite as good as yours. But I can see it does ease the spring tension a bit so hopefully it gives it more longevity. Thanks again for the idea. :salute:
PSX_20190502_160820.jpg
* PSX_20190502_160820.jpg (Filesize: 204.58 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #172 on: May 02, 2019, 02:23:16 PM
:iagree: I very much look forward to PP version 2. I think it would be a killer edc, at least it would be for me. I finally went ahead with the scissors mod. I was only able to hand file down the tang a little bit, so not quite as good as yours. But I can see it does ease the spring tension a bit so hopefully it gives it more longevity. Thanks again for the idea. :salute:
Very nice. And you're certainly welcome.
Glad it feels more reliable thay way. Definitely a mod worth its' weight in gold.  :cheers:
It amazes me, that with this thread being such a resource for future SOG design, that SOG representatives aren't clamoring to do these mods as updates. Thank you again for getting the ball rolling with the driver mod. :)

Offline The_Raven

Reply #173 on: June 18, 2019, 05:10:44 PM
Here's a question, do any MT's have a saw that could replace the file? I don't use files very much anyway, but I use saws surprisingly often.

Offline The_Raven

Reply #174 on: June 18, 2019, 05:12:33 PM
Also, would the power access be worth missing like this or is it just too much of a failure even as a base? I like the slightly larger size as the rebar seems to be the perfect size to me

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #175 on: June 18, 2019, 06:40:44 PM
As far as I know, there isn't a drop in saw for the Pint. :(
It would be pretty short as well, since the compound leverage mechanism takes up some real estate in the handles. :ahhh

The PowerAccess and Access Deluxe are "like it or hate it tools."
My position is this: The PowerAccess(base model with pocket clip) is a good tool if you can find it for $30 or less. The Deluxe is a good tool if it can be found for $50 or less. Still probably a bit too expensive for their placement on MT hierarchy, but you do get good CS from SOG and they look nice. The Deluxe has a decent wood saw, but it is a bit on the short side. Well cut though and usable. The Access and Access Deluxe files have been pretty low-tier as far as I know, but it has been a while since anyone I know of has bought one. Hopefully SOG has since updated the file cut profile.  :dunno:

Offline The_Raven

Reply #176 on: June 18, 2019, 11:38:39 PM
So would the power access make a good base for modding, though? I like how useful this powerpint is with these mods, but would like a slightly bigger size. I know some of you have experience with both, and I'm just curious if there is something about the power access that wouldn't make it worth modding or prevent one from easily modding it. I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear in my questions :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #177 on: June 18, 2019, 11:46:56 PM
I see. It will depend on the variety of parts to mod with and the skill level of the modding. But, as far as I know, there are no drop in parts. Anything used as a part to mod with would need a tang large enough to shape to work. Then the pivot size may be wrong, where a bushing may need to be made if the modded part has a pivot to large, or you'll need to drill it out for a larger size. Best case scenario is the the implement you'd like to transplant has the sane pivot size and a large tang that can be profiled to fit.

So, in short, the Access is not an ideal tool for modding right now.
The PowerAccess Deluxe has a wood saw, so that may be a better start.
SOG's older models(PowerPlier, PocketPowerPlier, PowerLock, and PowerAssist) are compatible with some of the older Leatherman implements, and vice versa.

Offline leigh.ratcliffe.5

Reply #178 on: July 11, 2019, 06:58:23 AM
I have one. I like it, however I would make the point that it is not a full sized tool. It's not as robust as a full sized tool, but it's much better than, for example, a PS4. The blades are very impressive, and as someone who wears glasses the jewlers  screwdriver  has proven an absolute Godsend.
Personally I find it a very useful accompliment to my SAK  Huntsman.

Huntsman,
Powerpint,
BIC lighter x 2.
AAA LED Maglite.
That's me good to go.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #179 on: July 11, 2019, 07:59:39 AM
I have one. I like it, however I would make the point that it is not a full sized tool. It's not as robust as a full sized tool, but it's much better than, for example, a PS4. The blades are very impressive, and as someone who wears glasses the jewlers  screwdriver  has proven an absolute Godsend.
Personally I find it a very useful accompliment to my SAK  Huntsman.

Huntsman,
Powerpint,
BIC lighter x 2.
AAA LED Maglite.
That's me good to go.
Nice setup of tools there for sure!  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%