Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tti, anyone else feel like it's not worth the money?

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Not at all a bash to leatherman or the tti but I feel like the upgrade from the regular wave wasn't that great. The tool itself is more comfortable but I feel like overall I didn't get much. It's heavier, the blade steel on the main blade isn't like the other s30v I have experience with and all the tools are the same (I knew this pre purchase). If someone was wanting to upgrade I'd recommend the charge al instead. How about you?

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Tti, anyone else feel like it's not worth the money?
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:17:38 PM
Well i owned Tti and after all it wasnt so great, cause i had wave   and surge then. Only good thing was blade but i didnt feel Tti more comfortable than wave on edc thats why i decided to sell it.

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:18:37 PM
Someday im gonna buy Tti s30v blade to my wave.

Only Tools Matters

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:32:47 PM
I don't think a tti is worth the money either.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 07:41:55 PM
I prefer the handle feel of the og Charge TTi (and the Ti) over the Wave (Wave seems less secure to grip), but whether it is worth the price difference is up to the individual.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 09:40:36 PM
I prefer the handle feel of the og Charge TTi (and the Ti) over the Wave (Wave seems less secure to grip), but whether it is worth the price difference is up to the individual.
That... I would choose the TTi over the Wave every time.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:01:33 PM
+1
The old TTi scales do look and feel better than the new version.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 11:14:22 PM
+1
The old TTi scales do look and feel better than the new version.

:salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 01:51:41 AM
I really like the Wave and always said between it and the TTi the Wave was a better cost to capability buy.  I have been using my TTi ( old style ) for some time now and like Greg and Ether like the hand feel.  My Wave needed some edges smoothed out as mine came very sharp new.  I didn't like the cap crimper plier head early on either.  The guy hook was not high on my need list.  The S30V blade was a "plus" depending how one sees it, I certainly like mine.

As to "worth it" :think:.  I picked my TTi up very inexpensively so as compared to my Wave which I bought new for close to retail, my TTi was a better buy, materials wise for me.  I also have a Charge AL and Ti both I rate high.  My Wave has since been modded tho I do have a BO one that sees little use these days. 

I now appreciate my TTi, AL, and Ti more than I did early on.  If you can find any of those tools at a competitive price to a new Wave and like Ti and the premium steel then I'd say its worth it.  However you can always find a good used Wave rather inexpensively.  You can also add either a 154CM or S30V blade for decent price. 

YMMV but thats my 2c worth.     
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Striker

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 08:29:11 AM
I own both and agree that it is not worth it IF paying full retail. I picked mine up cheap 2nd hand in as new condition so jumped at the chance. It does feel like a higher quality tool in the hand even though it has the same tool layout as the wave.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:10:13 AM
It does feel alot better in the hand than a wave. But no way I will pay full retail on it. I also like the first gen ti more. My regular charge is a BO AL. The AL scales are sooo smooth and comfy to the touch.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 10:09:33 AM
I chose the AL then modded it. I wanted the better steel for the blade and in general it's a bit better in the hand.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 05:43:49 PM
I would carry my Tti religiously if it didn't have the cap crimper. I feel the Wave is more comfortable though.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 07:02:45 PM
Most of the newer leathermans are not worth the money

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 07:26:01 PM
I also prefer the Ti to the Tti, as I have no need for the CC and the gut hook. When it comes to the Charge Ti/ Tti, you pay for both the steel upgrade, construction, and also the overall aesthetic value. Leatherman also include a half bit set and removable clip. The Charge Ti/ Tti platform is also a lot easier to disassembly, and the scales show character with age. When you pass down a Charge with Ti scales, it will not be as dinged up as the AL version, or as scratched up as a Wave. You can always sand those scales to refresh the look (which is also why the old version is better)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 10:22:13 PM
Since we're talking Charges let me show mine with a special guest my modded wave. 

I've been carrying and using my TTi primarily, while my Charge AL is used at home along with my modded Wave.  My Ti is currently not actively used but sits in a emergency evacuation bag. 
IMG_4981.jpg
* IMG_4981.jpg (Filesize: 225.78 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 10:57:01 PM
I prefer the wave over a Tti but prefer the look of the old tti over the new one,same with the juice ,sometimes I don't get LM's thinking  :think:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 08:17:54 AM
I purchased my Tti when they first came out and have never regretted that decision.  I carried it every day for over 10 years before giving it a rest and putting a Spirit on my belt.  Circumstances are different out here and the Spirit “seemed” to fit better.  Yes, I wanted a Spirit and any excuse worked 😛.  I can’t speak to the newer Tti’s, never held one even but the early ones are a tank, still as smooth and functional as the day I bought it.  Date codes on the handles are 12/06 and 01/07.  If you divide the purchase price by 10 years, not much per year and it’s not like it’s all used up.   So in my case, not overpriced at all.   :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:13 AM
I purchased my Tti when they first came out and have never regretted that decision.  I carried it every day for over 10 years before giving it a rest and putting a Spirit on my belt.  Circumstances are different out here and the Spirit “seemed” to fit better.  Yes, I wanted a Spirit and any excuse worked 😛.  I can’t speak to the newer Tti’s, never held one even but the early ones are a tank, still as smooth and functional as the day I bought it.  Date codes on the handles are 12/06 and 01/07.  If you divide the purchase price by 10 years, not much per year and it’s not like it’s all used up.   So in my case, not overpriced at all.   :cheers:

I think if it was your first MT of this type I get that  :salute: I guess because mine was a wave back in 98 means I've more biase of that model,but over the last 20yrs I've tried pretty much most MT's and I thought the tti or ti as what I had and the spirit woukd be better than a wave,but for me personaly I still prefer the wave,just wish our UK laws was different  :-\

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 10:32:17 AM
:imws:  But prefer the non-cap crimper pliers - so I replaced mine with a Rebar pliers head.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:25 PM
:imws:  But prefer the non-cap crimper pliers - so I replaced mine with a Rebar pliers head.
Me too on the no cap crimper

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 02:53:28 PM
Me too on the no cap crimper

It was a major part of my decision to go for the AL.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 03:26:12 PM
well since I am not Mr.Tti I don't feel like I should answer this question, nor should the other people here who are commenting on whether anyone else feel like it's not worth the money...

:D
 :nothingtoadd:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 04:08:48 PM
The CC plier head was a downer for me initially.  I just didn't like it at all.  I bought a BO Wave with CC plier head unbeknownst to me and equally disliked it.  Several years went by until I gave the TTi a chance again.  I have no ill feelings about the CC plier head and so far so good.  They've not been a hinderance nor prevented the pliers performing to my satisfaction.

If we are talking NIB TTi and NIB Wave  :think:.  Its a tough call.  Its easy for me to not bat an eye at what I've paid for my Charges vs what I've paid for my Wave.  Having used my TTi and AL for several months I am really happy with these tools.  IF and only IF I were to ONLY have one MT in the midsize class from LM.........  I'd choose Charge TTi +  :whistle:.  Tho I do really much prefer the older scales vs newer ones.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 04:49:52 PM
Not worth it, any way multitools are always over priced!
Enjoy!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 03:02:18 AM
Personally, while I appreciate the value of a light tool, I like how steel balances the weight of a fuller wallet.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 03:11:05 AM
I love my old style tti , carry it everyday. Got for 40 bucks so i was happy. Don't think id pay north of 100 bucks for any edc leatherman. I like bargain multis.
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 06:14:16 AM
I found a Charge AL for half the price of a Wave, so it was a no brainer.
I was thinking of a Wave, but then the Red Cross Charge AL came up, and it was a better deal than the Wave or TTi. I might buy a Wave someday. Maybe a TTi, too, but only if I find it for a good price.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 07:23:45 AM
My Charge AL was bought brand new in box for half the price of a Wave here.

My TTI was bought a few months ago for even a little less, but that one came second hand.

So no Wave here, but I do think the TTI is awesome and prefer it over my AL now.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 07:58:59 AM
I think of it like a fully loaded Ford vs. a fully loaded Lincoln (or Chevy vs. Cadillac). Almost identical features and options. About the same quality. And both designed to perform the same function. The little "details" & "materials"(examples: more attractive, smoother handle for comfort, gut hook, cap crimper, and 154cm/s30v blade) make the price higher. And since most people can only afford the cheaper option, demand is lower on "premium". So, the price has to be higher on less produced "premium" items to be profitable. And tack on extra cost of materials(handle scales and blade), you get the extreme price difference.
Ultimately, the Wave and Charge are capable of almost an identical set of tasks and reliability in doing so. One is just "premium", while the other is not. There is always a market for "premium", even when it isn't logical. Some people want to know they have "the best", even if it is essentially doing the same function. The Charge fills that niche, just like a Lincoln or Cadillac. I personally would choose the Charge over the Wave if both were put in front of me without cost being a factor.

At least that is how I see it. But, I'm crazy, so that may seem like jibberish. :think:

Please note: I do have two charges. An AL and TTi, but laid and waited to find them for the cost of Waves(I have two Waves as well).
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%