Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tti, anyone else feel like it's not worth the money?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Tti, anyone else feel like it's not worth the money?
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 09:20:21 AM
I'd see the differences between the Wave and Charge as more like the various trim levels on the Ford Mondeo/Fusion.  Or you could get a Spirit, the Aston Martin of the multitool world. :whistle:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 09:24:29 AM
I'd see the differences between the Wave and Charge as more like the various trim levels on the Ford Mondeo/Fusion.  Or you could get a Spirit, the Aston Martin of the multitool world. :whistle:
I thought the Spirit was a Geo Prism. Sides don't line up and it's slow to deploy. :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:01 AM
:D
I do like my Vic Spirit in all seriousness, but it doesn't quite work for me at my job, so it sits neglected too much. :-\
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 03:41:59 PM
I do like my Vic Spirit in all seriousness, but it doesn't quite work for me at my job, so it sits neglected too much. :-\

Pretty much how I feel. 

I keep one on "deck" at home along with a Swisstool because they are excellent tools. 

The discussion of is the TTi worth the money is one that comes up when looking at it and the Wave.  If we are talking New TTi price vs New Wave price it really comes down to preference.  Patience will pay off and one can find a Charge at a good price then all bets are off IMO.  I also factor in the warranty and never worry about using my Leatherman tools.  I would strongly dislike the newer scales if I had to send my tool in. 

The TTi so far in my usage performs every bit as my Wave.  I used my Wave everyday  ( years ) till several months ago ( year ? ) same with my Charge AL.  I think there is something to be said about perceived vs real "worth" when discussing the two.  Adding the S30V blade and Ti scale dresses this tool up.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 05:18:12 PM

Pretty much how I feel. 

I keep one on "deck" at home along with a Swisstool because they are excellent tools. 

The discussion of is the TTi worth the money is one that comes up when looking at it and the Wave.  If we are talking New TTi price vs New Wave price it really comes down to preference.  Patience will pay off and one can find a Charge at a good price then all bets are off IMO.  I also factor in the warranty and never worry about using my Leatherman tools.  I would strongly dislike the newer scales if I had to send my tool in. 

The TTi so far in my usage performs every bit as my Wave.  I used my Wave everyday  ( years ) till several months ago ( year ? ) same with my Charge AL.  I think there is something to be said about perceived vs real "worth" when discussing the two.  Adding the S30V blade and Ti scale dresses this tool up.       
I've owned my tti for a while now but feel I didn't gain much overall. I wish I went with the AL. I was actually really happy with my b.o. wave but figured "hey if I love the wave I'll REALLY love a tti". But no...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 08:08:54 PM
I have both the AL and ALX.  They are good tools but not terrifically "better" than a Wave.  I also have the TTi and Ti and neither is terrifically "better" than a Wave.  Blades material considered for both the 154CM and S30V vs the 420HC.  While I feel the super steels offer me a little more bang I got along real well with my Wave and BO Wave for years.  I use my MT blade most and wanted a nicer steel which swayed me towards looking at the Charges.  I got my Charge for $30 or $35 iirc  :think: so it was a no brainer.  I got both Charges for about the same.  I paid full prices for my Wave and about $60 for my BO Wave.  So for me the perceived value is real.  I am pretty stoked with them all but for day to day on the job I carry my TTi.  Would I carry it at full retail?  You better believe I would  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 09:49:37 PM
As they retail at over £200 in the UK I couldn't justify spending that on what is essentially a "fancy" Wave!
About a month ago I was perusing the internet and came across an outdoor store selling the LM Core for £70, seeing as they have been "retired"for quite a few years I decided to order one.
A couple of days later I had an email off them saying they were having difficulty finding any stock so they could offer me a Charge TTi at no extra cost!
Unsurprisingly I accepted their offer and am quite pleased with my Charge  :D
So, to me, yes, of course it's worth the money!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 09:52:06 PM
Lol!
What're the odds??

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 09:57:21 PM
I agree with the OP for the fact that:

The Wave is lighter,
Cheaper,
Easier to carry,
The 420HC does its job just fine
And the hook doesn’t make a difference to me

Just my humble opinion... :tu:

I like the 154cm blade, however

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 10:01:42 PM
Well I should be getting a Wave+ shortly so I'll be able to compare  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 10:03:19 PM
I don't think I ever replied to this question in all seriousness.

No, the Charge isn't worth it's retail value to me.
But like most off my SAKs, I buy used and in decent condition.
This way I got my TTI for little over half the retail price of a Wave here.

Used Waves usualy go for higher prices.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 07:55:18 AM
The wave was my first MT I got back in 98 ,it was there premium model then,after years of use I always thought the TTi or spirit would end my MT journey after reading how great people thought they was ,well I had a Ti and a spirit and I still think the waves better bang for the buck IMHO ,as said the TTi is nearly £200 in the UK and the waves around £90 or a tad less ,so your paying for nearly 2 waves for a TTi  :facepalm: oddly that's what I would rather do  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 08:01:30 AM
Use the money from getting the Wave instead, and put 154 or S30 blades on it, with some to spare for accessories :tu:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 24, 2018, 10:55:45 AM
Given that I paid almost 300 Euros locally here in Ireland for my Charge TTi back in 2015, I would say, even though it has served me well with no complaints the whole time, out of all honesty it is not worth that price.

I have not owned a wave, so I can't speak on its behalf, but for me personally a LM Rebar is all I need and it was "only" 75 Euros, and that's a big price difference.
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

Offline BertnErnie

Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 09:23:22 PM
Charge AL is my favorite.  I like it better than wave or Tti

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 10:27:34 PM
If I hadn't bought mine when I did, I wouldn't bother now.

Mine cost less than the retail price of a wave and to agree with a few others I also think multi's are becoming overpriced
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 12:41:33 AM
I don't think a tti is worth the money either.

Never used a Ti tool but I agree with you on this.

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 02:55:07 AM
I recently had to weigh the same descision , I gifted my Wave + to a young fella who had a need , but isn’t cash heavy . He’s happy , the Wave is in a good home . I kept the Wave + TTI , I’m happy , good job all around ! To me S30V is worth an up harge , I own a lot of folders in that steel . I like the feel of the Ti Scales.

Best Regards ,

Chris

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 07:48:37 AM
Use the money from getting the Wave instead, and put 154 or S30 blades on it, with some to spare for accessories :tu:
At least for me, the difference is not the blade steel. I would almost certainly not pay money for that. For me, the difference are the scales. I use my tool without gloves 99.999% of the time and have soft office worker hands. The Wave (and Surge) pinch me everywhere, and have more hot-spots than the sun. So for me, that upgrade is worth the money.

The price difference might seem a lot... but if you use that tool for 10 years, then its only 7$/year* (the price of 1 pack of cigarettes) difference and for that I get a more comfortable grip.
But then of course, I have both and I use neither, so whatever... :P

*Going of prices on the LM site. And no, I don't smoke, that is why I have the cash for a TTi.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 03:11:04 PM

This ^^^

Even after buying the wrenches and blades from LOKI you'd be well under price for a Charge TTi.  I just had a look at the bay of fleas sold listings and saw a couple TTi went for under $80 US.  A newer scaled version BIN for $90 US.  If you are patient you can find a deal. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 31, 2018, 07:07:41 AM
At least for me, the difference is not the blade steel. I would almost certainly not pay money for that. For me, the difference are the scales. I use my tool without gloves 99.999% of the time and have soft office worker hands. The Wave (and Surge) pinch me everywhere, and have more hot-spots than the sun. So for me, that upgrade is worth the money.

The price difference might seem a lot... but if you use that tool for 10 years, then its only 7$/year* (the price of 1 pack of cigarettes) difference and for that I get a more comfortable grip.

*Going of prices on the LM site. And no, I don't smoke, that is why I have the cash for a TTi.

:tu: Very true

Show content
Answer = Rebar  :rofl:

Show content
seriously, Rebar  :rofl:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #52 on: August 31, 2018, 09:28:23 AM
Well i have ownded TTi and i didnt notice much difference between Wave and TTi in use, both pinched me several times and only superior thing in TTi was it S30v blade. Handles didnt feel any better than any other LMs i owned.

Only Tools Matters

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 12:21:14 PM
Well i have ownded TTi and i didnt notice much difference between Wave and TTi in use, both pinched me several times and only superior thing in TTi was it S30v blade. Handles didnt feel any better than any other LMs i owned.

Only Tools Matters

That’s the main thing I don’t like about my charge, is how the pliers pinch your hand every time.

I was doing renovations about a month ago, and I actually got a blister on my hand from the charge pinching my hand.

I don’t have that problem with my Rebar or kick at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 12:25:27 PM
I can't believe how much thicker it is than the Wave considering it has the same tools!
I still like it though, but definitely wouldn't have paid full price for it!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: August 31, 2018, 12:47:53 PM

:tu: Very true

Show content
Answer = Rebar  :rofl:

Show content
seriously, Rebar  :rofl:
Nah... Spirit, all the time and every time, I accept no substitutes.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #56 on: August 31, 2018, 01:13:34 PM
The Wave is certainly the most comfortable for me in the Wave/Charge family, and find the Charges add bulk but no real benefit. I used to have a AL (the best looking of the bunch IMO) but sold it on. I don't find significant benefit to the blade options either. Yes, there's a bit longer edge retention, but the 420 resharpens very easily. I have no need of crimpers or gut hooks.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 31, 2018, 11:24:53 PM
^Exactly

:salute: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31