Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Light Question

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Light Question
on: May 13, 2018, 04:25:32 AM
I'm curious--how come the 58mms have the LED in the scale, but the 91mms have it as a layer? Having in the scale would make the knife a bit thinner. It seems to me to just make the knife clunkier, although I will admit, after cleaning up a Wenger Microlight Esquire whose batteries had corroded (I had to pull the scale to get to the circuit board, I prefer the simplistic Vic LED assembly of just the bulb, batteries, and contact when that happens again.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Light Question
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:30:24 AM
The 58mm layers are extremely narrow so they'd have to add an especially thick layer just for the Lite. To allow battery changes, the Lite would have to fold out (like the 91mm Lites) - all this might be beyond the structural strength of the itty-bitty rods holding the whole thing together. However, adding the Lite to the scales, as they do, makes for a pig-ugly 58mm SAK - just my opinion! - so I am not a fan of midnight managers etc.

The 91mms already have some relatively wide tools - the magnifying glass and Phillips - so presumably they figured they could add a mm or two to squeeze in a Lite and nobody would notice... I would never use a Lite as a main light source but they can be nice to have, when your proper lamp goes kaput and you remember you have a Lite buried at the bottom of your rucksack. My Mountaineer Lite saved my ass on one occasion.... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74491.msg1613735.html#msg1613735

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%