Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OG SuperTool Mod

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: OG SuperTool Mod
Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 04:38:43 PM
Awesome video, Sam! :like:
The unlocking system is just as smooth looking as I had imagined it would be. And, you're absolutely right about the dangerous spring effect of the lock tabs. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 06:21:09 AM
IMPRESSIVE!!
Both the mod and the vid.
GREAT WORK Sam!!
 :like: :like: :like: :like:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 05:33:44 PM
IMPRESSIVE!!
Both the mod and the vid.
GREAT WORK Sam!!
 :like: :like: :like: :like:

Thanks! It was definitely a fun and worthwhile project to do.  :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:55 PM
The unlocking system is just as smooth looking as I had imagined it would be. And, you're absolutely right about the dangerous spring effect of the lock tabs. :ahhh

Before I went into "brand name" tools, being a cheapo, I did manage to buy one Chinese made MT. During that time, I didn't know it was a ST clone. I was so pissed with that tool because I could not unlock the tools. I didn't know then that I have to pull out another to release the lock. I got so angry with the design that I threw the whole thing away...  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 03:52:47 AM

Before I went into "brand name" tools, being a cheapo, I did manage to buy one Chinese made MT. During that time, I didn't know it was a ST clone. I was so pissed with that tool because I could not unlock the tools. I didn't know then that I have to pull out another to release the lock. I got so angry with the design that I threw the whole thing away...  :facepalm:
I have seen a lot of OG STs with spring tab damage. People would use screw drivers to pry up the tab when they opened all of the tools on accident. So, you're not alone in wondering about the inefficient locking system.

I always try and remember that when the ST came out, there weren't many decent locking system ideas. It was fairly good for the time, but is definitely antiquated at this point. The old system Schrade used was excellent at that time and is still pretty good. IMO of course.
You did a great job implementing that locking system to the ST! :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 06:02:12 AM

I have seen a lot of OG STs with spring tab damage. People would use screw drivers to pry up the tab when they opened all of the tools on accident. So, you're not alone in wondering about the inefficient locking system.

I always try and remember that when the ST came out, there weren't many decent locking system ideas. It was fairly good for the time, but is definitely antiquated at this point. The old system Schrade used was excellent at that time and is still pretty good. IMO of course.
You did a great job implementing that locking system to the ST! :cheers:

That tough tool should have introduced locks for all the implements. Rather than the selected few..  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 05:47:54 AM
I think they could have done it without increasing the cost much as well.
But, at the time, it was a really neat system. The best "early" locking system for the tool's implements was on the Bucktool 360. IMO of course.  :)

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 06:56:59 AM
Fantatstic mod Sam and great video! You solved an annoying problem with this tool.  :salute:

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT like the locking mechanism on it. I think its the dumbest $"^% in the MT world..
Think of it as a necessary step in the evolution of LM's multitools.  ;)

Here's an idea - would a longer lever work if you press down on it where the cutouts are, negating the need for a bump there?  :think:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:37 AM
Fantatstic mod Sam and great video! You solved an annoying problem with this tool.  :salute:

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT like the locking mechanism on it. I think its the dumbest $"^% in the MT world..
Think of it as a necessary step in the evolution of LM's multitools.  ;)

Here's an idea - would a longer lever work if you press down on it where the cutouts are, negating the need for a bump there?  :think:

Yes. I think that is a very workable and neat idea.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD