Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

1000$ Emergency Kit!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
1000$ Emergency Kit!
on: May 14, 2018, 05:38:03 PM
Hey boss, remember that awesome Stealth Angel Ultra-Hyper-Duper-Cool Emergency Kit?

Well, someone just one-upped them big time!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Here it is, reviewed by CrazyRussianHacker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g5O-kT9m8k

:o

:-\

Anyways, I did make a list of about mostly everything in it to check out how much it would actually cost to make one, and then maybe what could you REALLY do with 1000 bucks

Show content
Case, orange, huge, probably not waterproof

Health & Hygiene
-------
Wet wipes, 2 packs, 20-40? each
Toothbrushes, 4
Toothpaste, small
Pen
Crayons, small
Notebook, small
Playing cards, propably not plastic

Medical
-------
Bandages, 2
Stretch Bandages
Gloves, propaby latex free
Medical tape, wide
Biohazard bags, useless
Trauma dressing, large, 2
Gauze pads
Tourniquet
Antibiotic cream
Tweezers
Scissors, nothing special
Aluminum splint, looks relatively ok
Burn gel
Bandaids, lots, cheap
Triangular bandage
First aid guide, cheap

Tools & Safety
--------------
Backpack, small, cheap
Hi-vis vest, cheap, 2
Headlamps, led, cheap, 4
Paracord, orange
Carabiners, largish, 2
Matches, in plastic container, with striker OUTSIDE
Zipties
Velcro
Mini bic
Marker, mini
Stanley Fatmax, actual
Crank radio light w/e, cheapest of the cheap
Dust masks, 4
Foil Tape
Whistle
Mirror
"Axe", do not use, chinese (15e on DX)
Gloves
Solar "charger"
Vise Grips, cheap, rattly
Poncho, plastic, one use, use garbage bags instead
Drop cloth
Ziploc bags
Knife, /w flashlight and all that crap, buy a decent knife instead

Food & Water
------------
Drink bags, plastic, 4
Emergency water, in bags, most of the bag
Lifestraw, not genuine
Bridgford sandwiches & buns, 8
Emergency food rations, probably similar to NRG-5
Sugarfree mints

Sleeping & Shelter
------------------
Sleeping bags, allegedly usable in "15°C", 4
Foil bivy, 4
Tent
Tarp, orange, cheap
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:38:48 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Re: 1000$ Emergency Kit!
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:38:53 PM
Anyone up for the challenge, post below! :pok:

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:49:25 PM
this will be fun. are we going by MSRP or by the price we can find in online stores (i.e. Amazon, REI....) ?  oh and are there restrictions other than the $1000 like weight or laws (blade length, tool locks, fire starting implements...) ?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:30:28 PM
Just go crazy, most of the stuff in that kit looked they came straight from china, so if you wanna go super cheap, DX.com is your friend,
or if you want to go actual quality, then it's more MTO knowledge  ;)

Oh right, and it should be at least for 4 people for 4 days  :)

Or if you want, you can stretch it out for more people or more days, only limit is the 1000$ price
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:37:19 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:40:49 PM
Two persons for a little south of USD 3k, not that far from the threads real topic: http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_index.htm

USD 1k isn't crazy if you really mean an emergency when you type emergency.

hr Offline styx

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:47 PM
you can get a decent shelter, 4 good (but probably heavy) backpacks, a really good water filter and tools fairly easy. the harder part is to fit 4 decent sleeping systems in that price range.

going with stainless steel pots, brands like Mora, Husqvarna, Kelty will help out. fire isn't expansive in itself. there are some good med kits as well that won't cost an arm and a leg. plus if the option is to go with a hardware store tarp (or a few) one could save quite a few pennies

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:26:31 PM
What a joke?

If that is really a Pelican Case the it is around $300 to start and is actually waterproof and should float too!
That and the Stanley FUBAR are the only name brand items that I saw in as much of the video as I could make myself watch though.

Why you would want that stuff in a Pelican Case is beyond me too and I have 20 or more of them and am literally in love with them for almost everything !

If this is for 4 people then you would do better having it split into 4 containers already able to grab and go and I would want food and water in there too.

Bizarre.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:59 PM
He lost me when I saw that deck of playing cards. Also, all the ziplock bags are ridiculous. You can bag all that craps with 1/3 less volume, and in better organizing manner.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 06:07:26 AM
Do you think I actually have $1000.00? :rofl:
I might be interested if this is a figurative exercise and we mark cataloged items without really having to buy them.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 07:29:56 AM
4 days of supplies.  Hmm...

Not a lot of great stuff, but at least they have a Sawyer Mini filter. Those things are very good. From what I understand, the Sawyer Squeeze (the slightly larger one) is better about not clogging up, but I doubt 4 people are going to muck one of them up in 4 days, and even if they do, it comes with backflushing stuff.

Those sleeping bags... down to 15c. What? That sounds just short of worthless. Throw in a (smaller, lighter) SOL Emergency Bivvy.

The crank radio is garbage. I've purchased ones like that. They're just terrible.

The solar phone charger is not going to work, most likely.

The winner for suck is that hatchet/shovel/saw combo. That think looks SUPER cheap. 

Without any kind of doubt in my mind, i could do better with $1000 that this.

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 08:44:10 AM
4 days of supplies.  Hmm...

Not a lot of great stuff, but at least they have a Sawyer Mini filter. Those things are very good. From what I understand, the Sawyer Squeeze (the slightly larger one) is better about not clogging up, but I doubt 4 people are going to muck one of them up in 4 days, and even if they do, it comes with backflushing stuff.

Those sleeping bags... down to 15c. What? That sounds just short of worthless. Throw in a (smaller, lighter) SOL Emergency Bivvy.

The crank radio is garbage. I've purchased ones like that. They're just terrible.

The solar phone charger is not going to work, most likely.

The winner for suck is that hatchet/shovel/saw combo. That think looks SUPER cheap. 

Without any kind of doubt in my mind, i could do better with $1000 that this.

Then take the plunge, do this mental exercise. I'm getting some things sorted so should probably have my list sorted in the evening
But that 4 day and 4 people part really is beyond sanity. To me any kit that can keep someone going for a comfortable over night should be able to handle the length of the season (huge factors being clothing and sleeping system) if one can manage to get food. The shivering my smurf off, roughing it, almost dying overnighters don't really count since one is already starting at a huge deficit.

The 4 people part basically messes with the math for the sole reason of getting to do so. Normally 4 people means 2 adults and 2 children. Since kids aren't pack mules, the bulk of the weight is still going with the adults. The cost is also going to tip that way which is good. Smaller pads and sleeping bags tend to be cheaper, you don't necessarily have to count on 4 similar tools (or with similar use), etc.
And really the shovel question comes down to what type of ground will you be encountering and what are you thinking of doing with it.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 11:44:55 AM
Do you think I actually have $1000.00? :rofl:
I might be interested if this is a figurative exercise and we mark cataloged items without really having to buy them.

This is indeed just a figurative/mental exercise, no need to spend anything but time and brain power :)
"Hoarder of weirdness,

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 01:34:39 PM
 :rofl: its funny how excited he gets. But I get sad if he has to admit at every 2nd item that he has no idea how to use it.

"that's a lot of stuff", no, that is a lot of gunk... Basically, nothing is worth the money except the case. Sleeping bag good for temperatures of 15°C and more. At that temperature you don't need a sleeping bag.
Lynn will of course confirm it needs:
- more sporks
- more paracord
- the case should be covered in molle webbing
- several larger trash bags
Personally I would also add some firewood, maybe even coal.

Joking aside. 1k is not that much, put a Fällkniven A1Pro as main blade and a WM1 as backup in there and you are already halfway there. Supplement it with a Gerber Downrange Hawk you are getting dangerously close. Then if you really take a big ass Pelican case (what is that 300$), you will also need a carrying system for rougher terrain another 300$ and you have broken the bank.
KUIU.jpg
* KUIU.jpg (Filesize: 88.8 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 01:45:07 PM
Just go crazy, most of the stuff in that kit looked they came straight from china, so if you wanna go super cheap, DX.com is your friend,
or if you want to go actual quality, then it's more MTO knowledge  ;)

Oh right, and it should be at least for 4 people for 4 days  :)

Or if you want, you can stretch it out for more people or more days, only limit is the 1000$ price
We are talking survival... what is the first item you should pack? Of course a portable espresso machine... you can't survive without coffee! That will set you back the first 100$ (150$ if you take the set).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcVbLv7APg

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 02:11:35 PM
Then again, why would you put all that high-end stuff in an emergency kit...  :pok:

"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 03:20:06 PM
Then again, why would you put all that high-end stuff in an emergency kit...  :pok:

Because Quality is Quality!
The trick is probably to balance the quality stuff that I EDC and appreciate all the time with the things that will drive me crazy if when needed perform like the cheap crap that they are?

I know that for me I would rather have a few items that I know I can count on than many that I suspect I can not.

YMMV obviously

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 03:36:25 PM

What else am I going to do with a Downrange Tomahawk? :P

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 05:59:04 PM
Found the original maker's website: https://emergencycase.com/

Word of warning though... It's a :facepalm: central
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 06:07:47 PM
Anyways, I'm sure we all have our own ideas what should be in a proper emergency kit... So let's get them out!  :tu:

And please, let's not derail this too much...  ::)  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 06:35:53 PM
More I look at the contents, more my brain hurts...

I mean ok, we have this HUGE case... You're not going to carry it with you, it's either at home, or in your car (if you can fit it) or maybe RV.

If that's the case, what do you need a tent for? You already have a shelter. Much better shelter than a el cheapo tent.

15°C+ sleeping bags?  :think: I think they're called sleeping bag liners over here...

Toothbrushes, -paste and mints? I don't think bad breath has ever killed anyone...

Ziploc bags... And "Biohazard bags"... really?

I think the whole "Medical System" should be replaced with a decent commercial First Aid Kit (or one of your own)

That "axe" "multitool": well its 15-16e at DX -> http://www.dx.com/p/multi-function-outdoor-camping-shovel-spade-tools-108495

The folding knife can't be more than $10, and even that would be too much for it

Just mindstorming here...
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 06:45:14 PM
not sure about the rest of the world but here we have car first aid kits that go for about $20 and they are actually quite well equipped so I'd personally go with that even though they are bulky, heavy and somewhat of an overkill in some respects

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 07:04:20 PM
That's what I've been thinking as well, although the First Aid Kits here usually lack the burn gel, which I have found useful at times...  :P

Don't ask me how :-\
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:06:46 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 09:32:33 PM
With a box that big I think I'd take a PLB or satellite phone, a small first aid kit and fill the rest with clean water.   :facepalm:

And it has to be for four people- it takes that many to carry the darned thing.  I second Aleph's comments about the tent.  I have a tent like that from Wal Mart that cost around $20-30 I think.  And the sleeping bag is only good for four or five months here, and in those months you really don't need a sleeping bag at all.   :facepalm:

I doubt that is a real Pelican box, but if it is, I'd still say this kit is overpriced at $500.   :facepalm:

The case itself amuses me- the wheels on it supposedly make it easier to take along with you, but those tiny wheels are only good for floors in an airport, and not much good outside.  This could be handy of you need to survive in the Departure Lounge, but I just don't see it being much use anywhere else.  Still, these guys obviously sold at least one, so good for them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 09:42:07 PM
It's funny that you mention my ultra super duper survival kit, because as I was watching this video I was thinking about it.  Some of teh tactcal stuff in there amused me, just like in the Stealth Angel kit.

And, I swear they must be marketed by the same guy- here are a couple of emails I have gotten from Krist at Stealth Angel (and yes, it amuses me that the Stealth Angel's name is Krist  ::))

You have to be prepared in todays unstable world especially when you least expect it.

We know that everybody should have an Everyday Carry Backpack (EDC) to help in this cause.

That's why we are having this 24 hour flash sale.

You can get our certified EDC backpacks for under $20!!

These are StealthAngelSurvival.com certified
​​​​​​​Everyday Carry Backpack (EDC) and they do the job perfectly. EDC is becoming a very popular term just like the Bug Out Bag (BOB) 5-6 years ago. The difference is the everyday carry bag gets used, Every Single Day!

You need something compact, reliable, and affordable that you can carry your daily survival supplies in.

Having a prepared EDC bag on you in todays world is essential, you never want to hear yourself say, "I wish I had prepared".

Having one of our guaranteed EDC backpacks in your car, office, or home can really make a difference for you or someone else.

Act now as supplies are limited. Getting this robust, tough, and durable EDC backpack for under $20 is a great deal and supplies won't last.

Remember, we're all in this together!

As Always….. Prepare Today, Survive Tomorrow
The StealthAngelSurvival.com Team

Imagine it’s night...You're safe in your bed...Suddenly you hear something banging around your garage.

You think it's just a squirrel so you grab your flashlight and go to investigate...

The second you get to the foot of the stairs, a 300lb thug crashes through the door and bum rushes you.

What do you do?

If you had one of these... it wouldn't even be an issue:

picture of an oversized flashlight

It’s not an ordinary flashlight...It’s the SL2400 Monster Torch...

and it's 44% off today!

Click Here To See EXACTLY What It Does.

When he comes at you, you have two options... blind him with ultra tactical bright light, or take his ass down with the business end of this flashlight...

When your family's safety depends on you, depend on the SL2400 Torch.

Click Here To see this thing in action...this torch will stop any thug dead in their tracks.

Grab one today get it and save 44%... I guarantee you won’t regret it.

Remember, we're all in this together!

As Always….. Prepare Today, Survive Tomorrow
The StealthAngelSurvival.com Team

The last line there, about us all being in this together really amuses me, as it reminds me of a Canadian comedy show called Red Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q29u0WCiCUQ

Between you and me, I am pretty sure I'd rather have Red Green with me in a SHTF type situation than Krist....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 10:21:28 PM
In the video he calls it a Pelican Case but there is no other mention anywhere I have seen that it is?
This acting like there is no difference between the real thing and cheap knock offs seems mostly what this kit is about in the video and I imagine all of us here know or think better about getting what you pay for by building one ourselves.

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 10:44:24 PM
well I did it and manage to have $50 spare. some items could be upgraded though  (like Lynn said the SOL bivvy) and some dropped at least in quantity. also note that I used Amazon exclusively 

- a fairly decent compass is included in the first aid kit, thus no extra
- the first aid kit is decent, but could use some extra things for larger cuts, burns and maybe a splint
- considering that I was going off the 15°C sleeping bag there is no bug net, bug spray or a warmer sleeping bag (again I'd fix that for myself but the budget is what it is)
- some of the quantities don't make sense because I'm not great with imperial weight measurements (is 13oz of vaseline too much or not enough?)
- brand names are there only where it could make a difference
* eif.pdf (Filesize: 192.81 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 11:06:35 PM
well I did it and manage to have $50 spare. some items could be upgraded though  (like Lynn said the SOL bivvy) and some dropped at least in quantity. also note that I used Amazon exclusively 

- a fairly decent compass is included in the first aid kit, thus no extra
- the first aid kit is decent, but could use some extra things for larger cuts, burns and maybe a splint
- considering that I was going off the 15°C sleeping bag there is no bug net, bug spray or a warmer sleeping bag (again I'd fix that for myself but the budget is what it is)
- some of the quantities don't make sense because I'm not great with imperial weight measurements (is 13oz of vaseline too much or not enough?)
- brand names are there only where it could make a difference

Your kit is missing one very important factor:

Show content
profit for the guy selling it.

:facepalm:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 11:09:27 PM
I forgot to mention also that the solar charger in that kit looks an awful lot like the one I bought recently.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76324.0.html

So far I haven't really used the solar panel so I can't comment on it's effectiveness, but as the sun is out now (summer is finally here!) I may just give it a shot.

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 12:29:51 AM
The solar charger I have is (if not exactly the same) very similar.

It has enough power to charge my iPhone 5 twice from full charge. It will recharge about 1/4 of the way from 8 hours of strong sunlight. That's not great, but it's also not nothing. It means that in 2 or so days of charging, i could completely recharge my phone, and if I was using my phone sparingly, I think it could keep my phone charged indefinitely.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 01:05:28 AM
At $250 per head, it sounds like a good deal. Looking at the low quality content of the kit, it's real value may very well sit at half the retail price. If I would put a kit together for 4 people myself, the overall quality would be a lot better, but it likely would supersede $250 per head. Then again, why would you skimp on an emergency kit it you put it together yourself, for yourself.
I'd like to be reasonably comfortable, even in emergencies.

I should really pre pack and label my gear for an emergency. Right now, it is all spread around my place and is not really grab and go..  Still, in 10 minutes, I can probably pack a rolling duffel with everything I need, and some.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:07:04 AM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24