Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

1000$ Emergency Kit!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: 1000$ Emergency Kit!
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 04:39:32 AM
Then again, why would you skimp on an emergency kit it you put it together yourself, for yourself.

Budget.

If you're scraping by to begin with, planning emergency preparedness can be hard, and sometimes it can come down to getting not-best options and hope they're good enough if something happens, until you have time to upgrade.

Unrelated, I started working on a $250 one-person kit spreadsheet. It's strangely harder than I thought it would be.

EDIT: A big problem I have is trying to fit in the $50 cost of an SOL Escape Bivvy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:14:21 AM by Lynn LeFey »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:14 AM
Then again, why would you skimp on an emergency kit it you put it together yourself, for yourself.

Budget.

If you're scraping by to begin with, planning emergency preparedness can be hard, and sometimes it can come down to getting not-best options and hope they're good enough if something happens, until you have time to upgrade.

Unrelated, I started working on a $250 one-person kit spreadsheet. It's strangely harder than I thought it would be.

EDIT: A big problem I have is trying to fit in the $50 cost of an SOL Escape Bivvy.

True that. There was a time in my life that every day felt like survival. I was basically living out of a suitcase. It did make packing up and leaving with all necessities a lot quicker though.

I got the gear to support me and my wife, I dont have an over view of the total cost, but my Solo Campfire stove was over $100. my Vic Spirit over $100, and a good pocket knife over $200, and I am not even started yet....
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:27 AM

Budget.

About that SOL Bivvy. Watched a couple of videos, they look quite fragile. I'm wondering why you choose the Escape over the Emergency Bivvy. I watched a comparison video and it seems that the Escape, while a bit thicker and richer in feature does not offer that much more and the Emergency can be bought for less than 20$ here, or about 25$ for the larger 2-person Emergency Bivvy.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline styx

Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 11:01:35 AM
well I did it and manage to have $50 spare. some items could be upgraded though  (like Lynn said the SOL bivvy) and some dropped at least in quantity. also note that I used Amazon exclusively 

- a fairly decent compass is included in the first aid kit, thus no extra
- the first aid kit is decent, but could use some extra things for larger cuts, burns and maybe a splint
- considering that I was going off the 15°C sleeping bag there is no bug net, bug spray or a warmer sleeping bag (again I'd fix that for myself but the budget is what it is)
- some of the quantities don't make sense because I'm not great with imperial weight measurements (is 13oz of vaseline too much or not enough?)
- brand names are there only where it could make a difference

Your kit is missing one very important factor:

Show content
profit for the guy selling it.

:facepalm:

Def

amazon associate links in the description :tu:
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline styx

Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 11:06:09 AM

Budget.

About that SOL Bivvy. Watched a couple of videos, they look quite fragile. I'm wondering why you choose the Escape over the Emergency Bivvy. I watched a comparison video and it seems that the Escape, while a bit thicker and richer in feature does not offer that much more and the Emergency can be bought for less than 20$ here, or about 25$ for the larger 2-person Emergency Bivvy.

you could also go with a thicker, more durable space blanket for about $20. there is also the scrounger route of going with a $10 reflective windshield shade but you can't cover yourself with that so it is only good if you're using a Mors' supershelter like setup

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:36 PM
The reason you want an Escape Bivvy over any other option is simple. It's breathable. I have tested the (REALLY excellent) SOL 2-person emergency blanket. That thing is pretty tough, and if you tear it, it won't start a running tear. It's amazingly warm. I sat outside in a t-shirt and shorts in weather that was just at freezing with a probably 15mph wind, with only that blanket for a hour. I gave up from boredom, not from cold.

BUT...

The problem is all those mylar type shelter options collect moisture from perspiration, which you do all the time. And if you get wet, you are kind of screwed in cold weather. I am willing to shell out a big chunk of budget for an option that won't leave me soaked in the morning. Because that can kill you in cold weather.

I AM considering the Escape Lite Bivvy, which is made of lighter material than the standard Escape Bivvy. It should be good for 4 nights.

As for the durability of the product, I can only use this as evidence to it's longevity (particularly for a 4-night bag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFbGMjhHg4
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:05:20 PM by Lynn LeFey »

hr Offline styx

Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 10:43:53 PM
well that is impressive

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 01:46:45 AM
I grabbed one of these as it seems to offer more features and space than most and of course is pricier than most too?

https://www.2gosystems.com/

Also Lynn I have snagged the SOL stuff at the Academy Sports near you for cheap a few times as they seem to go on sale without warning for 1/2 off or less!

Worth Trolling the store for sure,at least it has been for me!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 02:43:11 PM
I grabbed one of these as it seems to offer more features and space than most and of course is pricier than most too?

Also Lynn I have snagged the SOL stuff at the Academy Sports near you for cheap a few times as they seem to go on sale without warning for 1/2 off or less!

Why does 2gosystems have a Swiss Flag in their logo :think:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 06:05:14 PM

Don't know, but I think that's a plus!

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 06:13:33 PM

Pretty sure because they can't have red cross symbol, so they reversed it  :think:

Maybe you Swiss should trademark your flag as well as International Red Cross does...  :pok:

:cheers:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:16:36 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:15 PM

Pretty sure because they can't have red cross symbol, so they reversed it  :think:

Maybe you Swiss should trademark your flag as well as International Red Cross does...  :pok:

Pretty sure you could put the red-cross in there as its just part of the logo. The red cross logo (actually is the reverse of the Swiss flag, although that is not entirely proven it is rather likely) and the Swiss flag are too generic. So, a red cross on a white ground as part of a bigger logo is totally legal.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 11:28:40 PM
The reason you want an Escape Bivvy over any other option is simple. It's breathable. I have tested the (REALLY excellent) SOL 2-person emergency blanket. That thing is pretty tough, and if you tear it, it won't start a running tear. It's amazingly warm. I sat outside in a t-shirt and shorts in weather that was just at freezing with a probably 15mph wind, with only that blanket for a hour. I gave up from boredom, not from cold.

BUT...

The problem is all those mylar type shelter options collect moisture from perspiration, which you do all the time. And if you get wet, you are kind of screwed in cold weather. I am willing to shell out a big chunk of budget for an option that won't leave me soaked in the morning. Because that can kill you in cold weather.

I AM considering the Escape Lite Bivvy, which is made of lighter material than the standard Escape Bivvy. It should be good for 4 nights.

As for the durability of the product, I can only use this as evidence to it's longevity (particularly for a 4-night bag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFbGMjhHg4
Great video... so, tough after all.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #43 on: May 19, 2018, 12:13:50 AM
I would say reasonably tough for a 4 day kit. Beyond that might be a matter of how well you treat your gear.

ezdog... thanks. I'll try to keep an eye out.  :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 01:00:04 PM

a lot of people will jump to Switzerland in their mind when they see that symbol anyway. just like we have red and white chessboard pattern

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 07:46:18 PM
Last Call! 6k countdown at Let's Get Posting Thread!
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24