Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any chance??? (A guy can dream...)

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Any chance??? (A guy can dream...)
on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:58 PM
I recently acquired an old Artisan that was mis-listed on eBay as a "Wenger In Original Box!"  It's a little rough so I think it would make a good candidate for a trip by to Vic.  Think there's any chance they would honor a request to replace the pen blade with a nail file like the Sportsman??
oldartisan.jpg
* oldartisan.jpg (Filesize: 123.05 KB)
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any chance??? (A guy can dream...)
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 03:45:50 AM
At most, they'll probably offer you a discount on a modern model. They did that with a trashed 1960s Fisherman I had.

I have two I need to send in and have at least evaluated for repairs-- an old (late 1950s)  Ranger (needs new liners as all of them are cracked near the center pin) and an Artisan like yours (a bit better, but the scissor spring is broken and the saw is dulled. Not to mention the 1942 Soldier I have needing a new blade and handles. The  US division seems to not really care that much about vintage SAKs, and does not offer the same services as they do in Ibach. They told me the only thing they could do was replace the M1908 when I asked them about changing the scales.   In fact, every Vic documentary you will see will show their restorations department and a ton of M1908s they're restoring.

Your scissors are actually in better condition than mine.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:49:03 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:16:16 AM
The knife arrived today.  Yup, it is definitely an old Artisan,  and it’s in much worse shape than the pictures led me to believe.  The liners are all cracked so badly that the Phillips driver just flops around.  My only consolation is that all of the tools save the blades are in excellent condition.  The scissors have a broken spring, which is an easy fix, and there is a tiny bit of wear on the Phillips tip, but nothing serious.

Rather than send it back to Vic, which sounds like it probably won’t go the way I’d like, instead I’m going to wait for Syph to get set up for 84mm knives and have him rebuild it as an indestructible titanium beast (with a nail file instead of a small blade  :whistle:).
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:18:15 AM
The  US division seems to not really care that much about vintage SAKs, and does not offer the same services as they do in Ibach.
Is there any way for people in the USA to send knives back to Ibach?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:38:45 PM
https://www.usps.com/ :think: ;)
Yeah, I guess I kind of asked for that one didn't I?  :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:40 PM
The  US division seems to not really care that much about vintage SAKs, and does not offer the same services as they do in Ibach.
Is there any way for people in the USA to send knives back to Ibach?

I think the only problem would probably be the shipping costs. It would likely be more than I have in all three knives, but if I get them back looking like they did new, it would still probably be less than a near mint example of each would cost.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%