Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Screwdriver bit sets

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Screwdriver bit sets
on: May 16, 2018, 01:01:02 PM
With so many tools available with bit sets I have to wonder how many of you actually regularly carry them?  For many tools they add a lot of bulk to the sheath, so I am curious to see who carries them, what bit set you all prefer and what bits (if any) have been swapped out?

I like the Leatherman bit sets because they are the most compact, but I also hate using them because the flat bits are a pain in the bottom and virtually useless with most non-Leatherman holders.

Pictures of your bit sets would also be nice.... just saying.... :D

Pic for attention:

Because we all know :worthless:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: Screwdriver bit sets
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 02:44:18 PM
When I carry the ST300VX or the Surge-R (both in their own Skinth XL) I always add one bit set card with the most common-use bits and a bit holder extension, in the case of the Surge-R (which has a fixed Phillips instead of the bit holder that went into the ST300VX*) with the attachable bit holder. I also have a separate pouch holding two bit set cards (with all the available LM bits) that I can combine wth the smaller LMs such as the Rebar VX and ReWave-R. However, in the case of the latter I tend to forget to attach the separate pouch to the belt  :facepalm:

I have recently received the SOG Power Access Deluxe (thanks Grant :tu:) which comes with a sheath that has a loop pocket that is big enough to hold the entire bit set that also comes with it - as yet no experience with really carrying it though. To compensate for the lack of pics of the LM solutions described above I'll add one of the PAD  :angel:

*) I don't blame any reader for being confused by now.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:28:28 PM
I'll admit, I was confused ^^^  :ahhh

as far as I'm concerned, I always carry the LM Flat bits on-person due to ease of carry, variety and amount of bits available in a compact package

for bag carry I prefer the Ganzo and SOG styles,

the GANZO because it's rubber and it retains all bits very securely (I've found lost and fallen bits in bags, packs and other places when using the Victorinox and SOG bit sets  :P) and can retain a LM/Gerber/Ganzo adaptor with safety and strength

and the SOG because it's rigid, strong and has a bit more space for bits than other bit sets (you can fit 2-5 bits more than the average carriers and sets), they are the two at the bottom in this pic, left side  :salute:

I have also carried the Vic ratchet + bit set but not often (falling bits) and because I carry the ratchet apart, so the protruding "ratchet holders" do get in the way and can rip, tear or puncture pouches, textile and sheaths

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:47:49 PM
As much as I like to idea of the Vic bits, they are nothing more than 1/4inch bits.  I do like the carrier and the L wrench tho.  I carry my LM flat bits.  I have consolidated the bits I use most to one card. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 05:58:15 PM
There is a thread here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76901.0.html
on the subject with a link to Etsy:
https://urbanedcsupply.com/products/apex-5-bit-tag
Sorry about the small size of the picture.

Apex Bit Tag.jpeg
* Apex Bit Tag.jpeg (Filesize: 37.29 KB)
- Steve

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Screwdriver bit sets
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:30:33 PM
There is a thread here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76901.0.html
on the subject with a link to Etsy:
https://urbanedcsupply.com/products/apex-5-bit-tag
Sorry about the small size of the picture.

I use the Leatherman Bit Adapter and Bits with my Spirit X and it all fits nicely in my Skinth and I have been carrying the Centerdrive bits and tool itself also nicely on the Skinth.

But I also really like this set that I get with a Craftsman Ratcheting Screwdriver as it holds a lot of bits tightly but is too big for my EDC Skinth too?

It does fit in a Magnum though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:36:50 PM by ezdog »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:31 PM
I bought the double end bit set for the crunch specifically. Though I do not use them that often...

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:34 PM
I carry a set of the leatherman flat bits in my edc.

Offline mooreaaron176

• New User
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:05 PM
I carry my bit kit with me everyday I use a ganzo g202 as it's all I can afford at the moment. I like the kit because it kits nicely in the sheath behind the multitool and as they're standard bits if I ever break or lose one I cab replace it easily

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:46:39 PM
Battling with concrete infested screw heads I went through no less than 4 torx bits over just some 40-50 screws or so. I truly appreciate that they were totally standard and will thus be easy and inexpensive to replace.

(And I've finally found an application were torx heads are worse than the simple slot).

From a EDC viewpoint I only carry bits if they are stored inside the tool itself.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 03:08:07 AM
Let's expand a bit on this then- what bits do you carry, which ones do you use most, and which ones do you wish you had or miss when they aren't there?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:53 AM
My Doc Allen is in my pack every day. Right now, I've got a LOT of driver bits in there, as part of an ongoing survey. If I use a bit, I'll put a mark on the carrier. Around this time next year, I'll look at the marks and keep those, along with the basic bits (small, medium, large straight, 1 & 2 phillips, 1 & 2 robertson, a couple of torx and hex bits that my firearms use) and the 3/32" punch and x-acto blade holder. This started when a couple years ago, after needing some security bits on a couple of occasions, I through a small set into my car. And haven't touched them since. So... figure out what I need.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:20:47 AM
I carry the Gerber bit kit with my MP400 usually;

I replaced the hex bits with a Phillips 00, Phillips 000, and Torx 10. Seems like the bits I use the most are the Phillips 2 and larger flathead, so I'd probably miss them the most.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:34 AM
If I wanna go light-weight I carry my LM Wave "naked". But if I suspect duty might call, the Wave gets in the sheath where the bit extender and a single slab (I hope I'm using the right word here) of bits await him. The bits do make the sheath bulkier, yes, but this configuration is not my EDC anyway, so no problem.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 01:04:59 PM
Well, this might not work everywhere, but in my neck of the woods Robertson is unknown, so I've taken those out of the trimmed-down LM kits for the ST300VX and Surge-R. As said neck is in addition thoroughly metricised, I've also taken out the various inch-based hex bits except for the one with 6mm and 1/4". I'd have to check what exactly remains. These fit on one card.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:06:20 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 01:50:46 PM
Right...

(bombastically clears table with forearm)... this is the set I use/carry the most - most of the bits, that have been collected over time, are PB Swiss Tool ones... I say over time because they cost a bloody fortune, but I love the pretty colours and they're excellently engineered... and last for yonks (I've yet to have shattered one, although on rare occasions some work colleagues somehow have! :rant:)

When travelling, like Ironraven, I carry my Doc Allen Versathingy with assorted bits (including a Robertson bit) - which I think is absolutely superb and one of the best tools of its kind(?) out there. I really can't rate it highly enough. People always poo-poo the high-torque claims made about it, but it's true, it has absolutely smurf-loads of torque potential!!! I've removed 4" Pz3s with it... try doing that with a Wave (and watch the bit holder open up)!  :ahhh

... flops on chair and relaxes...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:52:29 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:32 PM
 :multi:
Darth Signal 1.jpg
* Darth Signal 1.jpg (Filesize: 83.31 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 02:18:41 PM
When EDC'ing my surge, I keep an extra box leather sheath next to the Surge sheath for the full 2-card of flattened bits and orher bayonet type jig saw blades. Anything to keep from making the Surge sheath protrude outwards too much
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 02:42:56 AM
LM and Vic

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 08:59:52 AM

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 02:40:09 PM
I was carrying those leatherman flats, there still in my large carry bag, but I’ve kinda lowered my edc down to a sak, anything more then a leatherman gets carried and I should switch those flats over.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 03:52:57 PM
LM and Vic(Image removed from quote.)

Thi... Is this your EDC???  :o :o :sa: :drool:
   :rofl: No , just my bit sets , I already carry a 60 pound tool bag  :tu:

ca Offline Walley

Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 04:43:53 PM
i carry a leatherman bit kit in my surge sheath as a back up, but usualy at work i also carry a standard bit kit in a seperate sheath (a victorinox SAK sheath) where i also carry a voltage tester.
this way i can leave it on my desk if i think i wont need it but i still have the flat bits incase something comes up.
and due to murphys law, the times when i usualy think that i wont need them are the times that i probably will need them!
20180321_182254.jpg
* 20180321_182254.jpg (Filesize: 369.24 KB)
20180321_182503_20180521103859853.jpg
* 20180321_182503_20180521103859853.jpg (Filesize: 168.96 KB)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:45:13 PM by Walley »

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 06:00:23 PM
I haven't carried a leatherman bit set (but own one) but I do carry the victorinox ratchet set.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 07:12:42 PM
I rarely ever wear a multitool on the belt, so for multitools I only carry bits in the tool itself.

If I know I need a bit somewhere I typically grab one of the ones pictures below, a Wera hard plastic kit, or some cheap sacrificial bit sets. Left to right I think it is a set of Swisstool bits, supplemented by a few loose ones in the middle there. Great bits, useless plastic holder.

Then the red one is a great little Teng tool bit set with ratchet. So-so bits, but cheap to replace at least. Nice little ratchet. I used to have one with same size but some sockets instead of some of the bits - that one was nice too.

In the middle there are 4 hex sockets with rounding. When you need those then not much else will do - on the flip side I avoid using them unless I have to in order to keep them around for those occasions.

The bits with the blue band in the middle are actually cheap but very nice. The small grooves on the tips give very good grip on screws, and the steel is not some typical black softish rusty thing.

The black and yellow short handle with 4 bits is my go-to little portable screwdriver. Inexpensive, portable, good grip and good bits. What is not to like?

Then to the right there is a plastic fantastic handle with 12 precision screwdrivers in the handle. The bits are good - the handle is not. Still, I find myself taking that if need those kind drivers for a quick fix somewhere.

And then there is a soft pouch Wera set with long drivers. Very nice, good bits, and on the expensive side. Still the one I use the most of these by far.

IMG_9006_tools.jpg
* IMG_9006_tools.jpg (Filesize: 166.62 KB)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:14:59 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 05:42:09 AM
When I'm doing auto/house work I usually have a mixed batch of bits in an old bit holder(is that the word?) I stuff into my sheath behind my SOG powerlock. Not paying $20 for bits I already have :whistle: :facepalm:

Honestly I think that a flathead and Philips are all I really need for edc I have a craftsman top box in the Jeep if I need more variety of bits.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:44:54 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44