Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stayglow v Alox for gift

Offline Dustin King

Stayglow v Alox for gift
on: May 16, 2018, 01:22:23 PM
Found out neighbor guy had cancer, pretty sad overall, as it always is.  I dont know him super well, but he is always commenting on my pocket provisions, flashlight and knife, sak, leatherman, you know the drill.  Was going to get him a SAK, I love the compact stayglow, and alox is always great.  I want to keep relatively thin, two layers ideal.  Anyone wanna weight in with their likes or thoughts?  Something not the standard perception of SAK.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:25:17 PM by Dustin King »

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Stayglow v Alox for gift
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 01:30:19 PM
I'd go alox

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 02:16:24 PM
I'd go Alox too - something like the Wenger SI - can't go wrong with an SI  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 02:37:53 PM
I agree with the above. Alox all the way. Both the pioneer and cadet make for a nice slim pocket carry. My personal preference is the pioneer.

The only possible issue I see is if you have to stay at two layers and require scissors. Then you need to go stayglow or cellidor.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 02:49:23 PM
Cadet would be my pick.  Very nice gesture of you also. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:14:05 PM
That really sucks about your neighbor.  Cancer is a smurfin' smurf.  Both my parents are survivors.

I'm with Aloha... The Cadet makes a good gift.
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 11:04:07 PM
I know it's not a 2-layer, but the stay-glow Super Tinker i have is awesome. I'm not even sure you can get one stock, but you could get a Stay Glow Climber instead.

After a quick look, I'm not seeing any 84mm stayglows. They probably exist, I just don't know if they're readily available.

The cadet is an awesome knife too, if you don't need scissors, and want a SUPER easy to carry tool.

Offline Dustin King

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 08:25:30 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the all input.  Anyone have the Evo 14 in wood ?  I have the the next model up evogrip 17 or something, I grabbed on a deal on Amazon (posted by a member here btw).  I find it a bit bulky.  As many of you picked up on, I do like having scissors.  I have the cadet, pioneer, and pioneer x because ALOX is awesome and they are all great SAKs. I have an orange pioneer but cant find another one.    The Cadet is def easy to cary, and still decent for most tasks. 

Offline Dustin King

Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:27:52 AM
I know it's not a 2-layer, but the stay-glow Super Tinker i have is awesome. I'm not even sure you can get one stock, but you could get a Stay Glow Climber instead.

After a quick look, I'm not seeing any 84mm stayglows. They probably exist, I just don't know if they're readily available.

The cadet is an awesome knife too, if you don't need scissors, and want a SUPER easy to carry tool.

Should probably get the Stayglow for myself, because it glows and its a SAK. Cadet for my friend.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:10 AM
If you're thinking of wooden scales - the new Spartan Wood is a really gorgeous looking SAK.

Personally, I think the Stayglow scales, with their connotations of radioactive glow, are the last thing I would buy an ex-cancer patient!

Offline Dustin King

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:15 AM
If you're thinking of wooden scales - the new Spartan Wood is a really gorgeous looking SAK.

Personally, I think the Stayglow scales, with their connotations of radioactive glow, are the last thing I would buy an ex-cancer patient!
You make a good point  :oops:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD