Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's so special about 111mm SAK's?

TheDude · 138 · 20465

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Re: What's so special about 111mm SAK's?
Reply #120 on: August 17, 2016, 07:38:00 PM
I gifted my Rescue tool to my cousin, an EMT.  Now I want another...... :facepalm:

The way I see it we gift our knives around to fool ourselves to thinking our urge is more sensible than pathological.
Rescue Tool is safety equipment. Should have one in the car at all times.
R

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: August 18, 2016, 05:22:56 AM

Rescue Tool is safety equipment. Should have one in the car at all times.

Agree. One in each 111mm scale color option including the glow. One set in each car.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: August 18, 2016, 05:25:44 AM
Got lucky and caught the airstrip shuttle with the tourists on the "SAKs out in back" tour....  :P

Here ya go, shown with the Cheese knife.

(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice SG. Thanks :cheers: Is the cheese knife full or partial serated?

Thanks!!  Partial, about 70% serrated.

This is my Käsemesser upgrade from my old Hardwood Cheese model, which has the opener layer that I don't use (because I always have one in my pocket). Shows the serration pattern from the reverse angle. I use it for KP when I need something bigger than a 91-93mm main blade, so not often, but also to remove corks and bits of underdone potato from teeth.  :D

I love that red lock slider. Mine are all gray.
-JJL

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: August 18, 2016, 05:48:34 AM
I want a WorkChamp. Love the small phillips and I like how they tuck tools underneath the scissors and pliers, making for less layers than equivalent 91mm knife. I could see the WorkChamp as my "you can only take one" wilderness SAK.

I also have a thing for those Garant scales and orange/ruler tweezers. Woulda been cool if it had orange headed fire steel instead of toothpick, and orange mini screwdriver with phillips head....3D printing isn't quite cheap enough yet :)
A cutout for the swisscard type nailfile would be ultra-nice. Seems like there would be room on this size of scale.

Some jealousy-inducing collections here. I really like the blue scales with compass rose design on all the fishing/boating models, but I'm not sure I'd use the nautical oriented tools.

My favorite is still that white one I saw on another thread, with a name like "Leia" or something.
-JJL

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #124 on: August 18, 2016, 07:04:27 AM
I want a WorkChamp. Love the small phillips and I like how they tuck tools underneath the scissors and pliers, making for less layers than equivalent 91mm knife. I could see the WorkChamp as my "you can only take one" wilderness SAK.

I also have a thing for those Garant scales and orange/ruler tweezers. Woulda been cool if it had orange headed fire steel instead of toothpick, and orange mini screwdriver with phillips head....3D printing isn't quite cheap enough yet :)
A cutout for the swisscard type nailfile would be ultra-nice. Seems like there would be room on this size of scale.

Some jealousy-inducing collections here. I really like the blue scales with compass rose design on all the fishing/boating models, but I'm not sure I'd use the nautical oriented tools.

My favorite is still that white one I saw on another thread, with a name like "Leia" or something.

Yeah the Workchamp's really awesome!!!   >:D :pok: :pok:

It was Leica, like the camera.  :cheers: :cheers: 
I need one too to match my Spartan!  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:06:04 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #125 on: August 28, 2016, 07:07:39 PM
Way back in the previous century, I was a young man still, I did an intensive ERT training -- first aid in disaster areas.
I'm glad to say that there's been no need to apply this training. Nevertheless, being prepared matters.
DSC01211-rescue-1.jpg
* DSC01211-rescue-1.jpg (Filesize: 175.87 KB)
DSC01217-rescue2.jpg
* DSC01217-rescue2.jpg (Filesize: 394.49 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #126 on: August 31, 2016, 06:52:00 AM
Well, just found this pic from last Dec so....apparently I have a Tradesman stuck in a bag somewhere. :facepalm:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: August 31, 2016, 08:13:42 AM
 :D :facepalm:  :tu:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: August 31, 2016, 08:36:52 AM
I was really looking forward to getting an Outrider, but quite disappointed when I finally got one.
The good thing about the OH Trekker/ Forester /Soldier etc is they are slender and pocketable. Adding one more layer suddenly gives you a big fat knife that loses that portability.
The scissors on the Outrider are what you'd find on any 91mm SAK, while the long, narrow philips turns out to be too tiny for most uses.  The stubby philips on the Atlas is a far more useful tool - again, you'll find the exact same tool many 91mm SAKs.
I love the size of the 111mm Saks - I love the OH blades, the serrations, the long saw etc. Having tried several I have concluded that for me, the trick is to have a 111mm SAK that does what 111mm SAKs do best (long blades!), and match it with a 91mm SAK that gives you the things you're missing - ie a Forester and an Explorer, for instance, or a Locksmith and Deluxe Tinker.
I suppose the other approach is to simply buy a Workchamp and a pouch - a drastic step that irreversibly ruins your chances of ever having sex...

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #129 on: August 31, 2016, 08:57:35 AM
I was really looking forward to getting an Outrider, but quite disappointed when I finally got one.
The good thing about the OH Trekker/ Forester /Soldier etc is they are slender and pocketable. Adding one more layer suddenly gives you a big fat knife that loses that portability.
The scissors on the Outrider are what you'd find on any 91mm SAK, while the long, narrow philips turns out to be too tiny for most uses.  The stubby philips on the Atlas is a far more useful tool - again, you'll find the exact same tool many 91mm SAKs.
I love the size of the 111mm Saks - I love the OH blades, the serrations, the long saw etc. Having tried several I have concluded that for me, the trick is to have a 111mm SAK that does what 111mm SAKs do best (long blades!), and match it with a 91mm SAK that gives you the things you're missing - ie a Forester and an Explorer, for instance, or a Locksmith and Deluxe Tinker.
I suppose the other approach is to simply buy a Workchamp and a pouch - a drastic step that irreversibly ruins your chances of ever having sex...

Great observation! I have an Outrider on the way, time will tell how I like it  :salute:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: August 31, 2016, 09:25:29 AM
Thanks Glennfiddich!
I ought to point out that the word "AGAIN" is missing from the last line of my previous post.... a small but important word, given the context.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #131 on: August 31, 2016, 09:36:57 AM
Thanks Glennfiddich!
I ought to point out that the word "AGAIN" is missing from the last line of my previous post.... a small but important word, given the context.

:rofl:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #132 on: August 31, 2016, 03:14:44 PM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: May 19, 2018, 01:12:31 AM
I was looking at the 111mm models... but once it's that big, why not just jump straight to the 130mm knives? I was considering the Outrider, but if it's going to be a saddle-bag knife anyhow, the RangerWood 55 seems like a better deal. Bigger saw, bigger blade, sounds like a plan to me.

Charles.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: May 19, 2018, 01:58:54 AM
My OHT is my favorite 111, guess I need to post some pics

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #135 on: May 19, 2018, 12:38:09 PM
I was looking at the 111mm models... but once it's that big, why not just jump straight to the 130mm knives? I was considering the Outrider, but if it's going to be a saddle-bag knife anyhow, the RangerWood 55 seems like a better deal. Bigger saw, bigger blade, sounds like a plan to me.

Charles.

price
toolset
color
availabilty
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #136 on: May 19, 2018, 01:41:23 PM
The Victorinox Atlas. Probably the most underestimated slide-lock 111 mm ever. Last week I bought two Atlas's, just to make sure I have them, because it is no longer produced.

Although the Atlas is rather thick, it still can be carried as a pocket knife. Not really comfortable, I know, but it can be done!
In my opinion this may be the best all-round camping, bush craft and survival knife ever. Scissors are nice when you are around your home or at the office, but out there in the fields you probably are better off with small pliers when you have to apply force that is beyond the force that your bare, maybe wounded or frozen fingers can't deliver.
P5195084.JPG
* P5195084.JPG (Filesize: 162.43 KB)

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: May 19, 2018, 06:24:47 PM
Here are my 111’s

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44