Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Observations about Wenger nail files

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Observations about Wenger nail files
on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:02 PM
Has anyone else noticed the nail files on the serrated Wengers face the opposite direction from the ones on the knives with non-serrated main blades?

Here are pics of my Serrated Master and Monarch that show what I’m talking about.  Notice how the file surface faces away from the serrated blade.

I can only surmise that they did this to keep the file from catching on and dulling the serrations.
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Re: Observations about Wenger nail files
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:20:58 PM
Interesting observation.... my locking serrated Master is the same and all non-serrated (non-locking) are toward the master blade.  Oddly enough I have two Vic versions of the Wenger, S18 and Tool Chest Plus (S54 I think) with the non-serrated locking blade and they have the nail file facing away from the blade.  So it could have something to do with the locking blade or Vic decided to orient the nail file one way only.  Need more examples I think.

Congrats on your Serrated Master, loving that knife..... :cheers:

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:51:58 PM
Interesting observation.... my locking serrated Master is the same and all non-serrated (non-locking) are toward the master blade.  Oddly enough I have two Vic versions of the Wenger, S18 and Tool Chest Plus (S54 I think) with the non-serrated locking blade and they have the nail file facing away from the blade.  So it could have something to do with the locking blade or Vic decided to orient the nail file one way only.  Need more examples I think.

Congrats on your Serrated Master, loving that knife..... :cheers:
Agreed, we need more examples.  Hopefully some other members will post up theirs so we can compare.  And thanks, the Serrated Master is a favorite of mine.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:53:24 PM by TennTexan »
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:24:38 AM
I can't begin to cite dates, but I think the forward facing file was the standard going way back, and only recently has it faced backwards.
Im sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with a definitive answer.
- Steve

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:06:57 AM
I can't begin to cite dates, but I think the forward facing file was the standard going way back, and only recently has it faced backwards.

Yep, I don't have an exact date either but I know the file facing out was a later change for Wenger.   I have a 90s Commander with it facing inside and probably an early 2000s Highlander with it facing out, I like the facing out file better as it will spare you scratches on your blade
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 02:03:43 AM
Yep, I don't have an exact date either but I know the file facing out was a later change for Wenger.   I have a 90s Commander with it facing inside and probably an early 2000s Highlander with it facing out, I like the facing out file better as it will spare you scratches on your blade
I believe the scratching of the blade is the reason for reversing it.
- Steve

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:04:51 AM

No locking blade, reversed file.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 04:31:46 PM
The Wenger Handyman series from the early 90s has both styles of nail file. The 1990 model has the file facing inward. I'm not sure at what year they changed, but there are models with the file facing outward. There's also a knife that is often sold on eBay as the "Handyman", but instead of the nail file it has a small clip-point blade. I believe, but am not sure, that it's a different model knife and mis-identified as a handyman.

But I digress. My point is that even on the same model from year to year the direction of the nail file can change.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD