Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK regression.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
SAK regression.
on: May 16, 2018, 04:28:43 PM
People who know me have been well aquatinted with my obsession with minimalism. But over the past decade or so my drive for maximum minimalism has been in higher. My once sizable knife collection has been whittled down to just east I can hold n one hand, and my gun collection as well as tool collection and excess vehicles have al gone the same way. Gone. And I don't miss them.

But what has been interesting has been the survivor of my SAK's. Yes, the little classic is still on my keyring in its leather sheath. That is a given and it's like the sun rising in the east. So I don't really consider the tiny SAK as one of my edc's. More like an attachment of my psyche in a physical sense. But my SAK of pocket knife chose has been fir the past year my old warhorse, the Wenger SI. This  has always been a top SAK for me, even over the Victorinox pioneer. Maybe its that my first pocket knife in htois world was the Boy Scout knife my dad gave me at age 12 when I was a scout. Or that late in the army the Camillus 'demo' knife was handed out by the supply room like lollypops at the doctors office.

My knife nut years didn't happen until I was in my late 30's and lasted for a period of time, during which I went nuts. I think I had at one time, just about everything made. I look back on that time as my temporary insanity time. Finally, I guess I woke up because one day I looked at all the stuff and kind shocked as I thought "What the heck am I doing with all this junk!!" I sold of everything, even the couple Randall's I had that had never impressed me that much. My gun collection went the same way.

Now as an old fart, I've gone back to the overly pragmatic view I 0ne had, and the basic 4 blade scout pattern like the Weber SI has beomce my go-to pocket knife. Maybe the effects of the pattern being the main knife for me all during my teens and twenties, maybe the fact that does all I really need on a daily basis, while being sturdy enough to lean on in an emergency.

For better or worse the old SI has become my pocket knife that I will finish off this trip in life with. I can't remember the last time I carried my tinker or recruit.

Edit to add, I'm down to just a few SAK's now and even my Opinel has been given away. I have a Buck stockman on hand, but that's the exception. Maybe being an old fart that does a lot of fishing and home projects the SAK is what Ineed to finish out my retirement.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:38:29 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: SAK regression.
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:31:08 PM
:clap:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:44:43 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53842.0.html

Welcome home  :salute:.  All kidding aside.  I've read your SAK posts with interest.  All well thought out and really interesting.  Knowing you started the thread above I often wondered if you'd come back to the Wenger.  Its interesting to say the least that along this journey of yours, this seeking of the perfect companion, whether we think we are done or not, the perfect companion tends to be the one in plain sight.  The one we gravitate back to is one that has always provided for us.  Thinking back over your post its interesting to see the journey albeit not as many knives as you say you once had but still interesting. 

I've gone thru a progression or regression if you will.  I'm not yet settled but the ones I tend to gravitate back to are the ones I've always felt were "the ones".  I think in time I'll come back home too.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:01:53 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53842.0.html

Welcome home  :salute:.  All kidding aside.  I've read your SAK posts with interest.  All well thought out and really interesting.  Knowing you started the thread above I often wondered if you'd come back to the Wenger.  Its interesting to say the least that along this journey of yours, this seeking of the perfect companion, whether we think we are done or not, the perfect companion tends to be the one in plain sight.  The one we gravitate back to is one that has always provided for us.  Thinking back over your post its interesting to see the journey albeit not as many knives as you say you once had but still interesting. 

I've gone thru a progression or regression if you will.  I'm not yet settled but the ones I tend to gravitate back to are the ones I've always felt were "the ones".  I think in time I'll come back home too.   

Yeah, I wrote that in 2014 and my love was always going back to the alox. Again, maybe it's my old army experience with the almost indestructible Camillus demo knife, but I just have moe faith in alox. I've had a few bad experiences with the celidor breaking, especially the latest generation of the hollow stuff that Victorinox is trying to sane money on. Some bug repellent partly dissolved another SAK handle. I just love alox, and the Wenger in particular. The little keyring nub stick king strait up on the pioneer pokes me and it's more than annoying. I love the bail. Victorinox needs to BRING BACK THE HOLLOW RIVET!!!!!

Over the years, the old SI has made my edc carry again and again, and the older I got, the more it got carried. It has survived many of my downsizings, so it may the SAK I finish out with.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 05:09:38 PM
 :salute:
Wonderful.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:00:39 PM
 :salute:

However, I did not know we've all been looking at your obsession through light greenish blue colored glasses...

:pok:

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:01:59 PM
cbl51 you certainly knew what you were doing all along.  Its been neat reading your journey.  The hollow rivet is pretty nice and I can take or leave the keyring.  I dont ever put mine on a keychain but its not a bother to me. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:07:48 PM
cbl51 you certainly knew what you were doing all along.  Its been neat reading your journey.  The hollow rivet is pretty nice and I can take or leave the keyring.  I dont ever put mine on a keychain but its not a bother to me.

For me, it's all about the lanyard. I don't put anyitng beyond a 58mm on my keyring, but a lanyard has been an important feature to me. Being born and raised in Maryland and spending a lot of time on small boats on the Chesapeake Bay, Potoma river and versus lakes, the lanyard was for my water going activities. But that may be just a habit at this point in my new retired life in Texas. A habit no longer needed.

Certainly I don't have a lanyard on my Buck stockman, the old other folding/pocket knife I bother with anymore. I could certainly just take off the bail on the SI and live happily ever after with the SI in it's nylon belt pouch, soon to be a Texas made leather belt sheath with nice floral pattern in the wester style.

Old habits are very hard to break, and my boating days are behind me. BUT...I like to have the option to choose. If I remove the bail on the SI, then I still have the option to thread some line though and have a lanyard. With a Vic pioneer, I grind off the  pain in the palm keyring thing, and I have no options.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%