Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dilemma...

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Dilemma...
on: May 18, 2018, 09:08:15 PM
OK, so I've had this BSA huntsman since my uncle gave it to me as a Christmas present in the early 90's. I remember very clearly picking up the wrapped gift and thinking it was just the right size for a sak box, but knew it couldn't be. They were just so expensive (at least to my 11 year old perspective).  When I opened it and saw the knife, it was just amazing. It was literally the best Christmas present I had ever gotten. Unfortunately, I loved it so much I was afraid to use it, and it's been kept as a shelf queen for nigh on 27 years now.

The dilemma is that it is still special as I treasure the memory of the gift a day it's thoughtfulness, but I don't really treasure the knife itself as I've never used it. Also, as a matter of principle, I hate shelf queens. These days, I also don't care much for plastic in my edc and don't love cellidor.

So, what to do? The knife has some cool older features: key ring on the liner, thicker tang main blade, no hook scissor layer, can key on the Phillips driver, screwed together scissors; but I don't think it's particularly rare or valuable. Not really worth selling.

So, the other day I stumbled upon the titanium scales sold by Swiss bianco. Now, I know SB can be controversial, but this particular product seems fairly interesting and not too exorbitantly priced. This would solve my problem of carrying cellidor, and may turn the knife into a carry companion. But, it may not. And it basically alters the knife forever since the scales would be epoxied on.

What say you? Should I put the queen back on the shelf? Or mod away?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Dilemma...
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:15:54 PM
An unused SAK is a sad SAK.  :( :D
And changing scales is not a really drastic change to the SAK itself, in my opinion, and if doing that makes you want to carry the SAK more, it sounds like a good thing.  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:20:17 PM
It shelf it and get another SAK to carry.

No other SAK can replace this one emotionaly.

Same with my Sportsman, my first SAK.
I like the model but not in extremis, it's barely used but is retired anyway since it will always make me remember the story behind it.
And I got it from my parents. Who I love and respect deeply.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 10:16:34 PM
An unused SAK is a sad SAK.  :( :D
And changing scales is not a really drastic change to the SAK itself, in my opinion, and if doing that makes you want to carry the SAK more, it sounds like a good thing.  :)

Good points. This is kind of where I'm leaning.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 10:18:58 PM
It shelf it and get another SAK to carry.

No other SAK can replace this one emotionaly.

Same with my Sportsman, my first SAK.
I like the model but not in extremis, it's barely used but is retired anyway since it will always make me remember the story behind it.
And I got it from my parents. Who I love and respect deeply.

Also good points. Im leaning more towards modifying it mainly because I don't take to own superfluous things, and shelf queens usually fall in that category for me. You do raise good points.

I wonder in my case if modifying it so that I would use it would honor the gift and the memories behind it more?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 10:41:05 PM
FWIW,  The gift is the memory.  The item received was meant to enjoy.  While you enjoy the memory of the gift the item as sat unfulfilled in its purpose.  Nothing can take away the memories of that day.  I say mod the tool and use it like it was intended.  You might just gain a greater joy from the usage which might add to the already wonderful memory.     
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 10:44:31 PM
Was it given to you to use or was it given to you to sit unused on a shelf?

And as I type I see that Aloha has just replied and is saying what I mean but much more eloquently, as usual.  ::)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 10:50:10 PM
Personally I would keep it as a shelf queen and buy another one for EDC and/or modding.
It is a little bit like post stamps. You can use them, or collect them. Once you put a post stamp on a letter it has in fact become worthless, except for the sender.
I wish you all the strength and wisdom there is!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 10:59:59 PM
Another vote here for putting new scales on and using it as I'm sure the gift giver would have wanted. 

Enjoy it!  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 11:17:29 PM
Based on what you have said  (...... and my opinion   ;)  )

Do not mod the knife -
1. In an instant you transform it into a different knife from the one your uncle gave you - and all those memories/links are gone
- Would uncle recognise the titanium clad knife?  ???   No!
2. Those BSA inlays are lovely - Presumably you were a scout - What a shame it would be to loose those

If you want to use it - Use it as is, and try and cope with the Cellidor scales   :pok:    :D   
- They really aren't that bad you know   :tu:
I carried a Huntsman for 30 years or so and it was as good as new - Sure the odd scuff and it lost its shine - But that to me shows a well loved and well used SAK
Yes if you drop it you could crack them - Then you could replace anyway - Or just keep as is.

Just make sure you don't loose it
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:25:50 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 12:10:21 AM
Thanks everyone for you input! You're conflicting advise mirrors my conflicted thoughts!  ;)

I just ordered a set of scales  :ahhh  I figured the only way to know for sure is see them in person. Once they arrive, I'll update.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:40:43 AM by gustophersmob »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42:57 AM
Well, the deed is done. I installed the titanium scales and removed the keyring. So far, I quite like it. Tonight is the first time in 27 years that this sak has seen the inside of a pocket. Tomorrow will be it's first day of carry.

The titanium scales and the older style tools, especially the thicker main blade tang, make this feel very solid. Much more so than before.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:45 AM
Well, the deed is done. I installed the titanium scales and removed the keyring. So far, I quite like it. Tonight is the first time in 27 years that this sak has seen the inside of a pocket. Tomorrow will be it's first day of carry.

It's your knife and your memories, so I say "carry and enjoy" !     :salute:   :tu:   :D

(just try not to lose it).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 04:38:10 AM

It's your knife and your memories, so I say "carry and enjoy" !     :salute:   :tu:   :D

(just try not to lose it).

Thanks!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 06:00:44 AM
I'm late to this party, I know, but here's my opinion since you've asked...

At first I thought "keep it on the shelf" because your uncle gave it to you, and you can never get that back. Once it is altered, or lost, or destroyed,  you can never get that back. How sad that would be. Get another one for use and leave this one on the shelf to remind you of that special relationship. There can be no greater regret in life than loss.

That's all true. However...

He gave it to you so that you would go forth and adventure. So that you would go places with it, see things with it, and use it for whatever need arose - fun or utility - as you made your way through life.

The regret could also be the lost opportunities. The path not taken. Or the trail blazed away from it. He wanted you to use it.

Keep the scales on the shelf. Don't lose them. They are your touchstone to the past, to your uncle and that day.

But take take that knife, newly scaled, and bring it places you have never been. Make some feather sticks with it and start a fire at camp. Whittle a little. Saw a downed tree branch. Cut some cloth strips for bandages. Make sure to open a few bottles with it. Use it with care, but don't worry too much if you ding it up, or even break it. You could then put it on the shelf with some stories behind it. And if it survives, you can give it to your own kid, or nephew, or niece.

If you need to replace it, they make more every day.

I have a 30 year old Super Tinker that has been with me over half the earth. Been dinged up badly, scales shattered. Carried without scales for a while. It's just now getting to rest. Because, since joining here...I have others...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:04:21 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 06:48:03 AM
Its looks great.  I'm sure your uncle is smiling and has no idea why.   This knife will see and do what it was meant to and each day you carry it will be a constant reminder of the day you got it. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 08:01:48 AM
Well, the deed is done. I installed the titanium scales and removed the keyring.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo    :pok:    :o    ;)

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:10:58 AM

The titanium scales and the older style tools, especially the thicker main blade tang, make this feel very solid. Much more so than before.

It looks great, you will surely enjoy it!  :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 10:07:33 AM
I think it looks awesome with the new scales on. If you didn't use it for 27 years, and you're using it now then you did the right thing.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 11:20:46 AM
If you didn't use it for 27 years, and you're using it now then you did the right thing.
:imws:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 11:29:25 AM
If you didn't use it for 27 years, and you're using it now then you did the right thing.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 11:39:14 AM

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 11:41:01 AM
Not that there’s anything wrong with shelf queens, but seeing SAKs like these being used as they were intended to be is nice. :salute:

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 12:11:15 PM
Based on what you have said  (...... and my opinion   ;)  )

Do not mod the knife -
1. In an instant you transform it into a different knife from the one your uncle gave you - and all those memories/links are gone
- Would uncle recognise the titanium clad knife?  ???   No!
2. Those BSA inlays are lovely - Presumably you were a scout - What a shame it would be to loose those

If you want to use it - Use it as is, and try and cope with the Cellidor scales   :pok:    :D   
- They really aren't that bad you know   :tu:
I carried a Huntsman for 30 years or so and it was as good as new - Sure the odd scuff and it lost its shine - But that to me shows a well loved and well used SAK
Yes if you drop it you could crack them - Then you could replace anyway - Or just keep as is.

Just make sure you don't loose it

Yup, pretty much this...

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 12:13:44 PM

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 12:17:34 PM
Well, the deed is done. I installed the titanium scales and removed the keyring.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo    :pok:    :o    ;)

I know, right?!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 12:18:05 PM
It's the same SAK, with a different exterior... nothing's gone!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 12:20:29 PM
It’s still the same inside!
The scales are just clothes.

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 12:27:44 PM

So... you'd be ok if Batman would wear Wonder Woman's clothes?!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 12:37:02 PM

So... you'd be ok if Batman would wear Wonder Woman's clothes?!

More like: would you be ok if Batman made and wore a new batsuit?

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69