Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a compact metric socket kit for motorcycle trips

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
I'm looking for a robust, heavy-duty metric socket set for a motorcycle. I'd like it to have some kind of storage as well - be it storage inside the handle, or in a bar or case of some sort. 3/8" drive, 1/4" drive is too weak. A nice sectional breaker bar would be nice too. (Built out of extensions or whatnot). I'd need to be able to remove and install my axles with this tool, so it can't be light-duty.

Is there anything out there that's nice and portable, but meets said requirements?

Charles.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Yes!!!

A Honda!!  :D :D

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Snoopy has your answer at about 2:30...

https://youtu.be/PN_x0bJ1HZw

How compact do you want this set to be?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

us Offline cody6268

3/8 is a little tough to fit in anything compact. I have a pair of small S&K 1/4 (SAE and metric)  kits in metal cases that fit in small toolboxes.

My suggestion would be to buy one of those binder pencil case pouches (usually about a buck from any grocery store that sells school supplies) and stick the ratchet and sockets (specific to your bike, to save space) in it. That's most of my small, specific tool kits.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
This is about as perfect as a compact set can get.  Add a 10mm (4 inch in the USA) hex magnetic extension and it is a perfect compact kit. Includes WAY more than a socket set in a smaller package than most socket sets alone and awesome quality tools and case.  Might seem to be a little pricey but the quality is worth every penny and then some.

Link below
https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-056490-tool-check-plus-bit-ratchet-set-with-sockets-metric/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2yVAtkAuPaSYHUSdgHtAHEvBuxfiffoKB-3mtA0m0ct9y-yoB1HPh8RoCwWEQAvD_BwE

They also make an Imperial version for those of us in the US.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
This is about as perfect as a compact set can get.  Add a 10mm (4 inch in the USA) hex magnetic extension and it is a perfect compact kit. Includes WAY more than a socket set in a smaller package than most socket sets alone and awesome quality tools and case.  Might seem to be a little pricey but the quality is worth every penny and then some.

(Image removed from quote.)

Link below
https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-056490-tool-check-plus-bit-ratchet-set-with-sockets-metric/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2yVAtkAuPaSYHUSdgHtAHEvBuxfiffoKB-3mtA0m0ct9y-yoB1HPh8RoCwWEQAvD_BwE

They also make an Imperial version for those of us in the US.

I like this set too - good set with good quality!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club

I like this set too - good set with good quality!

The components are great for sure. I prefer Wera's soft pouch style compact sets over the hard plastic ones, but again, very nice tools as such.

The set is 1/4", and without a handle of any length, so probably not a great match for ChopperCharles needs.

Socket tools themselves are pretty much standard, so it isn't really much difference in weight or size from different manufacturers - maybe except for ratchets and handles. Thus I think I'm with Cody6268 on this one: Bring just what you need for the bike in a custom holder of some kind.

(I'm sure there are someone out there making sockets sets in titanium or similar too, but likely well on the pricey side - and titanium and sockets set might not be the best functional match).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:49:16 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Simple Socket Rail and Ratchet in Maxpedition Cocoon.

No reason for plastic in the way and taking space if not needed and the Cocoon are great little pouches with room for extra Bits & Bobs as I have seen explained here too!

I use different color cocoon for different tools so they are easy organized too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:01:29 PM by ezdog »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Wow! I really really like that Ezdogy - I'm going to have to copy that myself! Nice one!  :salute:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:02:29 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Wow! I really really like that Ezdogy - I'm going to have to copy that myself! Nice one!  :salute:

+1 on that!   :like: :like:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Good choice EZDOG, Douglas, but the OP is looking for 3/8” drive sturdy enough to perform axle change...

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
I use 1/2” drive for axle maintenance, Choppercharles, do you expect your hubs, bearing or other components to fail? If so you can perhaps perform the work before you depart? Just my two-cents worth.  :tu:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Good choice EZDOG, Douglas, but the OP is looking for 3/8” drive sturdy enough to perform axle change...

Mine is  3/8" set and pretty tough from my experience?

The premium Craftsman stuff seems better built in general to me.

I did wonder though if 1/2" wouldn't be better for an Axle job and also how often that might even be needed?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
The maxpedition idea is golden! That's what I'm going to do. As for the axle... well, the most common repair is taking the wheel off and replacing the tube. When you're on some unknown gravel backroad 600 miles from home, it's important to be able to fix that flat.

Charles.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Turns out Wera does make a soft pouch set with 3/8" and solid bar as well. Add a piece of pipe to make that work as a breaker bar?

Looks handy enough for me to want one :) (To be fair that is not a very high bar to pass for tools  :D )

Wera Soft Pouch 38.jpg
* Wera Soft Pouch 38.jpg (Filesize: 61.48 KB)
Wera Soft Pouch 38b.jpg
* Wera Soft Pouch 38b.jpg (Filesize: 71.49 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
I would probably buy one of those too,if I could figure out which kit it is??

Like you though I am not a tough sell when it comes to tool either! :multi:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
I would probably buy one of those too,if I could figure out which kit it is??

Like you though I am not a tough sell when it comes to tool either! :multi:

A search for "Wera Zyklop 3/8" 29 parts" should take you in the right direction. (They also have similar styled 1/4" and 1/2" sets with 28 parts each).

Back to the motorcycle issue it might be an idea to make sure there isn't a need anywhere for two of the same tool. For instance holding a bolt head while twisting a nut of the same size. (Also an excellent excuse for getting more tools...  :angel: )
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Thanks I found it after I posted that I couldn't!
Too rich for my blood right now but if there were a kit with both Metric & Imperial maybe?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
They should have an imperial option too, but I haven't seen a set with both. Then again yesterday I hadn't seen these either..

On another more general note, is there a typical need among bikers (of all kinds) for a small portable socket set? Is compact and lightweight worth parting cash for, or is price more important?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Too rich for my blood right now but if there were a kit with both Metric & Imperial maybe?

Wera is a bit on the pricey side especialy for those of us in the States, BUT Wera is also Proof of you get what you pay for.  I have been using hand tools ever sense I could hold them (often to my elders dismay early on).  I have tried almost every domestic brand out there incliding the big names Snap-on etc... and as yet my Wera, Wiha, and Knipex tools have been by by far the best in both quality and design.  As a proud American this saddens me, but I can take pride in these tools are representative of the people who came here and made this country and it's legacy.  So I use them with the same vigor and pride I take in my SAKs.  That brings me to how honored I am to have developed all the wonderful Quality friendships from all over the globe here on MTo.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
I feel the same exactly and I work with my hands and tools all day every day.

I try to find the best quality for what I actually need before making purchase decisions too and also am a fan of the brands you mentioned and a few others but.......I also already have more than my share of mechanics sets and do not use them a lot at the same time so my priority spending of course goes to the things that do make me money every day.

But many things are on the list and now so is this Wera Set!

I recently have been buying them from KC Tool but with this stuff whoever has the best price gets my money usually.

Wera is a bit on the pricey side especialy for those of us in the States, BUT Wera is also Proof of you get what you pay for.  I have been using hand tools ever sense I could hold them (often to my elders dismay early on).  I have tried almost every domestic brand out there incliding the big names Snap-on etc... and as yet my Wera, Wiha, and Knipex tools have been by by far the best in both quality and design.  As a proud American this saddens me, but I can take pride in these tools are representative of the people who came here and made this country and it's legacy.  So I use them with the same vigor and pride I take in my SAKs.  That brings me to how honored I am to have developed all the wonderful Quality friendships from all over the globe here on MTo.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
KC and Chad's toolbox seam to run pretty neck and neck on most of these.  One will beat the other out on some while not doing so well on others is what I have found.  Yes my tools have to justify the expense in a return on the investment, in other words MAKE ME MONEY! :ahhh :ahhh
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Just thought I would add that my SwissTool X has probably made me more return for the investment than any other tool I have ever owned.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Just thought I would add that my SwissTool X has probably made me more return for the investment than any other tool I have ever owned.

I have to say mine is no.2 there after the iPhone! :cheers:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Ay but threrin lie the rub, The mighty SwissTool provideth not the cursedness of they smart-phone which waketh the at all hours and interupteth the in all manor of ways and times.  The Mighty SwissTool be always at thy side prepaired to at thy moments notice arise to thy every beck n call, never to question the nore disrupt. Instead without murmer, always forth coming to make right what once was wrong...

Dr.  McCoy

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Ay but threrin lie the rub, The mighty SwissTool provideth not the cursedness of they smart-phone which waketh the at all hours and interupteth the in all manor of ways and times.  The Mighty SwissTool be always at thy side prepaired to at thy moments notice arise to thy every beck n call, never to question the nore disrupt. Instead without murmer, always forth coming to make right what once was wrong...

Nope not really what I meant at all.
My phone never bothers me at night and I tell everyone to call anytime they want and I promise they will not bother me.

The ringer doth be silenced and I shall never be the phones slave but instead its master.

I do however install Automation and AV systems controlled by the mighty phone and there it makes me money all the days! :whistle:

The Swiss too is but a Henchman. :multi:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:23:22 AM by ezdog »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Such fun we haveth.. :tu: :tu:
Dr.  McCoy

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%