Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mini Pry Bar selection

gb Offline BePrepared

Mini Pry Bar selection
on: May 19, 2018, 10:47:43 AM
I've been looking for a mini pry-bar to go with my LM Squirt for EDC (which includes a Thrunite Ti3, Kaweco Lilliput pen, and contcatless payment fob).  Here are the great mini pry-bar contenders:

• KNail, a kickstarter item.  Too small, so now goes in my key case with the Vic.  But it's Ti   :ahhh
  • NexTool TaoBar: This I like.  The pry-bar is curved, so you get some leverage advantage.  There's a sharp cutting edge and package opener too.  But technically it may be illegal UK carry because the blade locks, and I cannot see any easy to remove the lock without compromising the tool.  A bit thin and short, and anyway the Squirt has a blade.
  • The one and only Gerber Shard.  Nicely formed Phillips driver head.  Curved pry-bar.  Small.  A bit too small maybe.
  • Sanrenmu make a range of cheap pry-bars.  Hex cut outs don't fit a standard hex bit.
  • I like this one, and the pry end is shaped to fit a standard hex bit.
  • I also like this one too.  Hex slot for standard hex bit (except I'm not EDCing hex bits).  Nice sharpish end for scraping and stabbing stuff.  Already used it to knock off small chunks of ice from the lid of a liquid nitrruogen tank. 
  • Kershaw PT-2.  I removed the black grip (easily unscrewed).  The Ph driver does not appear to be as well formed as the one of the Gerber Shard, but seems as functional.  I like it, but the V-shaped pry end is 'blunt' (thick) but I'd prefer something that tapered down to an edge so I can shove it into thin gaps... 
  • Cheap one from Hing Kong.  Sharpish V-shaped end.  I may try and use some paracord to bind in a contactless payment card, so I have 'petty cash' on the go.
  • Pocket Wrench II.  Nice tool, already has a place in a small tool case with a LM Juice and hex bits

I've been alternating my carry with these, and still not settled on one yet.  Of course, I can continue alternating.  But I may settle on (8).  It's black and matches my EDC  ::)  It's one of the largest I can easily fit into the pocket pouch I use.  I may take a Dremel to (7) to see if I can sharpen up the package opener edge.

I'd like to try a Gerber artefact one day (probably remove that dangerous blade). 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Mini Pry Bar selection
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 11:09:42 AM
Cool collection!  :cheers:
I love my PocketWrench. The completely rounded shape is nice.

That Kershaw looks interesting. And the TaoBar is nice.
Another two one-piece of these and you can get the badge.  :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 11:31:50 AM
I have had the number 6 for a couple years and used it on many occasions, I sharpened up the V groove and it's performed very well and it's tough.

:like: mini prybars too and have a few of them!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:17:22 PM
 :popcorn:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:58:25 PM
Very cool stuff - thanks for posting. I have PWII - great little tool...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:32:02 AM
Krybar, I use this one most the time.

EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:21:52 PM
here are most of mine

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 03:52:13 PM
Nice selection.  I think mini pry bars are underrated.   I personally like the PW2 most.  Its a little thick on the pry edge but a very good tool.  I had a Gerber Shard and while the shape ( bent shape ) made it a little awkward at times to carry I really like this tool.  Its the only tool I've lost and not yet replaced.   I currently have a Leatherman #5 on my car keychain.  Its been a great tool over the last several months of carry ( well over 6 now ).  I bought a few cheap and cheerful pry bars that have been pretty nice as well.  TheP has it pictured on the far left.  Its a nice little tool that has some decent driving abilities too.  Kam sent me a widgy from county comm thats pretty nice too. Sadly when I moved I misplaced it.  It'll turn up I'm sure. 

Ill post up pics later today.   

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 04:27:10 PM
Great selection. I got an Artifact. The blade is not that dangerous. It locks in place, open and closed. Very handy. The problem is that it tends to rust very easily.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
CountyComm's "US GOVT" bar is probably what I'd recommend, along with the Latshaw Burktek PocketWrench II (I always carry a CV version, bought it close to a year ago, and it's now a key part of my EDC, primarily for its wrenches, but I occasionally pry stuff with it.  The County Comm bar has nail pullers, something the PocketWrench II doesn't have.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 02:46:00 PM
this is the most straightforward design

with added cord for leverage (pulling down) because what good is that it's super strong if you can't really put force behind it  :salute:

And the SOG one is the weirdest and awkwardest, but is definitely cool  :like:

the one with 2 holes that Aloha also had is excellent as a card/money clip and I often use it for that
  :tu:

my favorite of all is without a doubt this big one in the top

and this one the second, for the drivers and carabiner attachment  :)

My toys:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 10:08:56 PM
That's a good idea, adding a decent amount of cord on the pry-bar, to get extra grip and leverage.  I'll steal that idea!   ;)
The piranha 1 looks good too.

I think I am settling on the item 7.  I filed down the 'package opener' edge --- it cannot cut skin, but it works well on blister packs.  And I sharpened up the V-slot so it will at least do some damage to cord, it not actually cut it cleanly! 

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 11:57:03 AM
That's a good idea, adding a decent amount of cord on the pry-bar, to get extra grip and leverage.  I'll steal that idea!   ;)
The piranha 1 looks good too.

I think I am settling on the item 7.  I filed down the 'package opener' edge --- it cannot cut skin, but it works well on blister packs.  And I sharpened up the V-slot so it will at least do some damage to cord, it not actually cut it cleanly! 

nice! Some V cutting slots are tricky to sharpen  :salute:
My toys:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:45 PM
I have two actual mini pry bars, two 6” flatbars, I must say there great!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 05:31:29 PM
now I find it appropriate, to put the rest of my prybars (small sized, I have two big ones) for you to see:

The smaller one is a keychain prybar/screwdriver that also has a hex bit driver and oxygen wrench, plus a belt cutter  :salute:
The Victorinox Golf Tool is used for very light prying, like when opening electronics, smartphones or so

My cheap blades (OSO sweet, on the right) and those with strong non pointy tips (Pacific Salt, on the Left) also see occasional prying if I don't feel like pulling a prying tool out and the task is not extreme,
as do my Multitool flatheads like Gerber's or Leathermans (those can take lots of abuse)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:34:14 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%