Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar to Wave upgrade

kaput · 27 · 1881

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Rebar to Wave upgrade
on: May 19, 2018, 08:26:33 PM
I got a donor rebar i would like to take the 3D philips and awl, possibly small flat head and move to the wave. I can do without the small bit driver for eyeglasses and I do t need the scissors.

Any suggestions or complications? I'll probably open them up tonight.

multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: Rebar to Wave upgrade
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:46:22 PM
Bump

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:39:43 PM
Can't help you since I've not done this mod but hopefully someone will be along shortly who has  :tu:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:27:30 PM
This is my Wave

I had to pull out the pliers head rest in the body of the wave to get the Phillips to fit.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 01:16:33 AM
This is my Wave

I had to pull out the pliers head rest in the body of the wave to get the Phillips to fit.
Is there any other affect of removing the plier rests? Will they bond with other tools while opening or closing?

Can all you fit in on one side of the handle a 3D philips and awl? Thanks for posting

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:17:59 AM
Can't help you since I've not done this mod but hopefully someone will be along shortly who has  :tu:
Thanks Steve. Just wanted some expert advice as the wave isn't as straight forward as some other Leathermans  ;)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 04:18:09 AM
This is my Wave

Is there any other affect of removing the plier rests? Will they bond with other tools while opening or closing?

Can all you fit in on one side of the handle a 3D philips and awl? Thanks for posting

My understanding is normally a wave handle can fit 2 normal size tools( awl, large flathead, scissors) and one slimmer one ( like the eyeglass bit or the can opener). How Beprepared fit in the awl and 3d philips I am not sure.. A large bit holder or the 3d philip is 2 normal tool width.. So.. I think it could be a very tight fit there.. Well, I could be wrong...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:54:13 AM
Yeah I'm also curious that if the plier rest has to come out for the philips to lay flat, does that interfere with the pliers when closed or are those similar heights?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 06:42:42 AM
Yeah I'm also curious that if the plier rest has to come out for the philips to lay flat, does that interfere with the pliers when closed or are those similar heights?

Must it be a awl or 3d Philip from a rebar? Cos I modified these parts from a pst and they lock and work well.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:51:21 AM

Must it be a awl or 3d Philip from a rebar? Cos I modified these parts from a pst and they lock and work well.
Preferably. I could shape an awl too, but like the rebar, and it's sharpened on edge nicely. 3D philips I like better than the flat bits.

Ultimately I really just want to get rid of the scissors and the eyeglass mini bit driver for something I would use daily. I never use those two (small bit and scissors).

I think the rebar is just a very good useable loadout for my trade. EXCEPT, I like the size and outside knives of the Wave, it saves me allot of time when I need to quickly deploy the blade of a multi.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 06:59:32 AM
The awl and Phillips fits nicely, and are easy to pull out and lock perfectly.  The Wave also shuts fully.  Occasionally the pliers head sticks inside the body when the Phillips is extended, and I close up the handles --- i.e. no pliers head rest, so it sticks sometimes --- probaly depends which side of the body the pliers go into first.  But with the Phillips folded in, it acts as the pliers head rest, and no problem for me.  YMMV.

Here are some more pics:

The awl is sticking up almost vertically --- you can just about make out the eye-hole if you look carefully.  You can see the length of the Phillips, when folded, would hit the pliers head rest (see left hand side of tool for position of pliers head rest).

Here is the Phillips and awl, side-by-side --- best buddies!  Although the awl is longer, it would slip past the pliers head rest (I think), like the long flat driver on the other side.

The parts I got were from a sale on this site, so I didn't sacrifice a tool for them.  I'll check, but I think they were Blast parts.

I've stopped playing about with the Wave, because it's just about perfect.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 07:37:46 AM
OK, l re-read previous posts. My bad ---- I used blast donar parts, not rebar.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 05:43:38 PM
OK, l re-read previous posts. My bad ---- I used blast donar parts, not rebar.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the pictures and description. I appreciate that  :salute:

Also I'm fairly certain that the blast and rebar parts are also interchangeable, so that's good.

Thank you for taking the time to answer back  :cheers:

Offline george1

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 11:30:27 PM
l recently did a similar mod - 3d phillips, awl and long medium driver.

My Wave was one of rhe newer ones that have the  heavier duty plier rests.

These plier rests cannot be snapped off and l ended up milling them flush.

l got there in the end but l needed to "hand fit" the new drivers and reduce the height of the awl.

Basically it did not close fully until l ground down the top sides a bit. I also had to grind and polish the plier head a tiny bit.

My advice would be to make sure you start off with an "older" new wave.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:19 AM
l recently did a similar mod - 3d phillips, awl and long medium driver.

My Wave was one of rhe newer ones that have the  heavier duty plier rests.

These plier rests cannot be snapped off and l ended up milling them flush.

l got there in the end but l needed to "hand fit" the new drivers and reduce the height of the awl.

Basically it did not close fully until l ground down the top sides a bit. I also had to grind and polish the plier head a tiny bit.

My advice would be to make sure you start off with an "older" new wave.
Yeah I see that now. I could probably Drexel it down, what did you use? Thanks for any tips, sounds like a decent amount of trial and error. I don't want to ruin my Wave, but would love those tools.

I may have to compromise somehow...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 06:15:50 AM

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 11:50:19 PM
I swapped the can opener for the awl. Works ok. Handles close but the tool thicknesses are real tight. Not sure if it will loosen a little with use and oil but we'll see. Feels SOOO good to have an awl in the Wave!

But, I really want to do away with both the scissors and the small bit driver. Tough to find things that'll work or slip in. Has to be either the large flat or the bottle opener on the left because the way they're tapered. And not much will drop into the right where the scissors go. I put the can opener but the nail nick is on the opposite side so I'll probably have to add the nick, not sure what else I could use there. I'd really have liked the medium flat head driver but it seems like it'd have to be filed too much.

I may cut another large flat driver to the length of the small bit driver and have it go in the middle. Use it like a scraper or prybar?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 02:40:59 AM
I think the older wave model with the thin pliers rest have a looser fit in the handle. I just opened up on yesterday and realised that. I think Beprepared had the the same older one if I remember correctly.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 09:14:21 PM
My old Wave (Generation 2, with locking tools) that I modded was date stamped 0704 and had pentalobe security screws.  I was able to prise out the pliers head rest easily by hand.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 04:15:47 AM
My old Wave (Generation 2, with locking tools) that I modded was date stamped 0704 and had pentalobe security screws.  I was able to prise out the pliers head rest easily by hand.

Ya. This is the one. Yours was the earlier gen2 when they still use the 5 star torx, then later they changed to the 6 star but still with the thin pliers rest. So far from what I have handled, those have the best handles. They are looser and doesnt scrape the pliers surface like the newer ones does..

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 03:53:17 AM
So I got the awl to fit.

But it is tight with the large bit driver. Anyone know of a way to shave just a little off the stock, I'm assuming the awl, so it and the bit driver can open and close easily? They can open but it is a nail breaker, but I don't suppose much material needs to come off.

I have a Dremel and attachments and some hand files and a hand sander. But not sure which would give me the best result. Looking for opinions please

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 05:47:50 AM
If you have a coarse wet stone I would try that or coarse wet dry paper. Just lay the awl on top and slide it back and forth with your finger. I used my bench grinder to thin tools before using the side of the wheel but that can be a bit tricky.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 06:39:07 AM
If you have a coarse wet stone I would try that or coarse wet dry paper. Just lay the awl on top and slide it back and forth with your finger. I used my bench grinder to thin tools before using the side of the wheel but that can be a bit tricky.

Yeah, what Steve said. Sandpaper.. I too tried the side of the grinder but most of the time for larger pieces, they will end up uneven. No chance of moving the awl to another slot? That slot is meant  for a thinner tool. If u are prepared to thin down that awl, reprofiling the smaller flat head to an awl from the rebar may be another option..

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 08:31:11 AM

Yeah, what Steve said. Sandpaper.. I too tried the side of the grinder but most of the time for larger pieces, they will end up uneven. No chance of moving the awl to another slot? That slot is meant  for a thinner tool. If u are prepared to thin down that awl, reprofiling the smaller flat head to an awl from the rebar may be another option..
Thanks fellas. I think that's what I'll try Steve.

Sam, I havent got any extra flatheads to work with, or awls, so I don't want to mess this up. I'm open to rearranging them but I've found it tough working around that plier rest amongst others? These fit well, just a scoche tight. Otherwise I'm happy with it. Can't figure out what to do about getting rid of the small bit driver though?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:37:41 AM by kaput »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:24 PM
 :dd: :popcorn:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 09:09:09 AM
Sorry kaput, I'm a bit late reading this  :facepalm:.

Have you tried the Showcase thread? https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74592.0.html

There are various mods in there, including some info on my ReWaveR (https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74592.msg1609173.html#msg1609173), that have some of the things you seem to be looking for.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24