Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me pick an EDC Leatherman

Offline bugsy714

Help me pick an EDC Leatherman
on: May 20, 2018, 08:15:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I have owned a Leatherman Wave for a very long time but never could bring myself to EDC it with the weight!

I am looking for a recommendation on a EDC, pocket friendly Leatherman Tool was thinking the juice line was the way to go but I really want a clip. Also checked out the skeletool... Hoping to find something with titanium that is Slim

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Help me pick an EDC Leatherman
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:26:11 AM
Have you tried the removable pocket clip on your Wave?  If you have a "new" Wave, the clips are pretty awesome. :)
The LM SideClip is discontinued, but can be found here and there. It is quite awesome. The LM Kick with removable Clip is also a popular discontinued tool.
The Wingman, SideKick, and Rev also have clips/weight a little less than a Wave. :tu:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:27:12 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:31:21 AM
It's not exactly a match for your criteria, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret having a Rebar. Very pocketable and fully functional, almost on par with the Wave (no scissors though). The Skeletool is quite limited in its functionality, so that's something to consider, and while the Juice line offers different options, only the slimmer models are pocketable, and definitely no pocket clip on those, also non-locking tools. Oh, and the Rebar is probably the best value from all of the above, you get the most bang for your buck.  :multi:

EDIT: GLBM is right about those retired models, and I forgot about the Wingman/Sidekick, they do have pocket clips, but their quality is quite a debated topic.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:33:45 AM by Exeter »

00 Offline covi

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:02:09 AM
A Juice S2 with a separate pocketclip and lanyard works for me.

Sent fra min EVA-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:15:49 AM
The Sidekick has a pocket clip, is relatively light, and pairs very well with a Vic Mountaineer without wasted redundancy.  The Sidekick has a one hand opening blade and saw like your wave, while the Mountaineer has scissors and a file.
P1110441.JPG
* P1110441.JPG (Filesize: 140.34 KB)

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:20:16 AM
LM Sideclip - my all time EDC-favorite 👍

Offline bugsy714

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:12:17 PM
Thanks for the comments I appreciate the advice. I have been doing flashlights and pocket knives for 25 years but multi tools outside of a Swiss Army knife have never made the pocket :-)

My daily Loadout includes a small jetbeam flashlight and a flipper knife which I like for Rapid deployment but I really want more capabilities that are practical for a dad including scissors tweezers xcetera

Offline bugsy714

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 08:12:56 PM
A Juice S2 with a separate pocketclip and lanyard works for me. (Image removed from quote.)

The juice S2 was actually what I was thinking about, where did you get that clip?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 08:31:37 PM
A Juice S2 with a separate pocketclip and lanyard works for me. (Image removed from quote.)

The juice S2 was actually what I was thinking about, where did you get that clip?

If you Ebay then type in suspension clips and you can get them rather cheap :salute:

Offline bugsy714

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 08:33:09 PM
I really dig that system because I can hang the tool deeper into my pocket thus leaving room for the other gear. I think I'm going to do the same with my flashlight thumbs up all the way around

Offline bugsy714

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 09:12:11 PM
Forgot to ask do they make a titanium version of the juice or some similar slender pocket style EDC Leatherman? Can anybody recommend a modder doing exciting stuff with the juice?

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 09:33:41 PM
I tried the Juice for EDC. I found the perfect set with a LM Sideclip + Vic classic...

Maybe you can get your hands on a Sideclip to test it out...

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:48 PM
I’d go for a skeletool cx
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

Offline bugsy714

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 03:48:14 AM
Skeletool just doesn't have the features I want for the size and weight plus I don't do that weird Carabiner thing LOL

I actually found a Leatherman fuse that I gave my wife years ago. I like that the blades lock open but it still seems bulky is the juice smaller?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 03:58:02 AM
Thanks for the comments I appreciate the advice. I have been doing flashlights and pocket knives for 25 years but multi tools outside of a Swiss Army knife have never made the pocket :-)

My daily Loadout includes a small jetbeam flashlight and a flipper knife which I like for Rapid deployment but I really want more capabilities that are practical for a dad including scissors tweezers xcetera

Scissors, Tweezers and a sweet toothpick.

Sounds like someone could use a SAK.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 06:18:49 AM
The Sidekick has a pocket clip, is relatively light, and pairs very well with a Vic Mountaineer without wasted redundancy.  The Sidekick has a one hand opening blade and saw like your wave, while the Mountaineer has scissors and a file.

Or the Wingman pairs well with a Vic Camper...

Although, if you do carry a SAK with scissors, I second Exeter in his Rebar suggestion. most bang for the buck you are ever going to get

Offline bugsy714

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 09:32:32 PM
My wife has the Micra on her keychain and it seems to have all of the stuff a mom on the go needs scissors tweezers file small knife blade. I really want a souped-up version of that with pliers, functional file, scissors screwdrivers and and awl... Am I asking too much LOL

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 08:07:35 AM
My wife has the Micra on her keychain and it seems to have all of the stuff a mom on the go needs scissors tweezers file small knife blade. I really want a souped-up version of that with pliers, functional file, scissors screwdrivers and and awl... Am I asking too much LOL
It sounds like what you need to do is try to get used to the weight of the Wave you already own, because it has everything you want it's just a little heavy.  If you want a pocket clip you can add one to the Wave. They are available from Leatherman as an accessory.

Offline Ingo

Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:11 AM
...plus I don't do that weird Carabiner thing LOL

Oh... You mean the greatest bottle opener ever?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:10:56 AM by Ingo »

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 05:18:31 AM
I have a Juice S2 and I feel it doesn't offer too much aside from scissors, knife, and pliers. Everything else is like a screwdriver or bottle opener.

The Fuse is really nice to carry, it doesn't feel so heavy, just like a beefier Juice S2. But I think those two are the best if you want to keep weight low. If higher, go for the Rebar or Wingman for sure.
Leatherman

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:45 AM

Knifeless Rebar sounds pretty fitting for this, and it's lighter than the Wave
Leatherman

us Offline Pacu

Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 05:37:44 AM
I'd give that wave another go. Maybe a Juice XE6?   Vic alox Mini champ is a solid carry too in a small package.
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD