Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why doesn't the can opener get a half stop?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Why doesn't the can opener get a half stop?
on: May 21, 2018, 05:26:33 AM
It used to make sense to me, that the larger more robust screwdriver on the cap lifter gets a half stop, while the smaller screwdriver on the can opener does not. But now several times I have used the small can opener screwdriver in the half stop position (despite it not locking there) to get a little more torque required to turn a screw. The can opener tip is a much more useful screwdriver in my experience than the broad flat head on the cap lifter, it fits in an amazingly large number of screws. And despite my first impressions it is definitely robust enough to withstand the increased torque placed on it when using it in a half stop position. So why do you guys suppose Victorinox has not seen fit to grace this tool with a half stop?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Why doesn't the can opener get a half stop?
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:26:01 PM
Funny you mention this because the same thing recently crossed my mind.
Barry

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:30:26 PM
I agree, that tip is a favorite of mine and I've had more than a few slips that could have been prevented, the can opener is sharp when it closes on a finger  :whistle:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 01:34:17 PM
I assume that Victorinox does not think the point can take the torque when used at 90 degrees.  Of course, if you break it they will have no way to see whether you were using it at 90 or 180 degrees.

Wengers did not have this on the bottle opener/flat driver but had a locking system for using the flat screwdriver at 180 degrees
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%