Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman's new E-voucher program

SteveC · 31 · 3893

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Leatherman's new E-voucher program
on: May 22, 2018, 01:54:07 PM
You can now return some old tools for an E-voucher instead of warranty repair

https://www.leatherman.com/CustomerService-Warranty.html

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman's new E-voucher program
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 03:18:17 PM
You can now return some old tools for an E-voucher instead of warranty repair

https://www.leatherman.com/CustomerService-Warranty.html

I just had a look thru at the values of the returning tools. I must say the prices are really good! U people are lucky in the US!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 03:19:06 PM
Pretty neat. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 03:21:12 PM
 :dd: :dd: :dd: :dd: :dd: :dd: :rofl:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 03:30:19 PM
Sounds like not too bad an idea, but I'm afraid people will try to abuse it. They offer $20 for the Micra, when they can easily be found for $5-10 on eBay used. I personally avoid buying broken tools, unless I think I can fix it with parts on hand, or I need the parts from it.  However, I'm sure people will be intentionally buying broken tools to get the voucher.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 04:34:44 PM
Sounds like not too bad an idea, but I'm afraid people will try to abuse it. They offer $20 for the Micra, when they can easily be found for $5-10 on eBay used. I personally avoid buying broken tools, unless I think I can fix it with parts on hand, or I need the parts from it.  However, I'm sure people will be intentionally buying broken tools to get the voucher.

Hmm.. Unless the difference is really that big. Say that micra for instance. After shipping to LM there's only a few $ difference. And they did mentioned that they will access the condition. I think most will not think its worth it after some calculations. BUT! I did fell off my chair when I see the return price of a wave to be $75!!! Its crazy!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:57:49 AM
The discontinued models are treated like dirt. $20 for a Core, really? I guess, unless the owners really ask for repair, it costs Leatherman less just to send a replacement than having an employee to tinker with a broken tool. It is not a bad idea to recover old, used tools from circulation before they eventually show up at Leatherman's door for a warranty claim.

I am interested about the expiration date for the vouchers.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:35:51 AM
Not sure that was a smart move on LM's part. The prices of new LM tools are already outrageous. So many people buying pallets of old LMs and returning them for brand new ones to sell. I know two guys that do that. They don't even sell the free replacements for a discount. Scumbags! :rant:

Now those kind of guys can send in a Wave and Micra to get a Surge to sell.  :facepalm:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 04:46:31 AM
Yes, this is a program that most definitely will be abused I am afraid :facepalm: In theory it is a good idea though :salute:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 04:51:21 AM
Not sure that was a smart move on LM's part. The prices of new LM tools are already outrageous. So many people buying pallets of old LMs and returning them for brand new ones to sell. I know two guys that do that. They don't even sell the free replacements for a discount. Scumbags! :rant:

Now those kind of guys can send in a Wave and Micra to get a Surge to sell.  :facepalm:

On the other hand, they can black list a few resellers by collecting a database of vouchers associated with shipping addresses.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 06:31:11 AM

On the other hand, they can black list a few resellers by collecting a database of vouchers associated with shipping addresses.
Excellent thought!  Lets hope this is the case. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 07:24:54 AM
Yeah I hope the sleaze don't ruin it for the actual users and people not taking advantage of Leathermans generosity. Good on ya Leatherman for offering this!

Is this a first of its kind for a mulstitool seller? It's pretty impressive
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 09:56:31 PM
I was wondering if I will I get a E-voucher for this 1998 Wave :think:
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 09:58:31 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :like:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 10:02:25 PM
I was wondering if I will I get a E-voucher for this 1998 Wave :think:
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
There seems like there would have to be a reasonable issue, reasonable defect to issue a warranty claim. But that's just me thinking logically  :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 10:29:09 PM
Nothing wrong with it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 11:42:33 PM
Might even get a bigger credit since it looks black oxide :think:

:rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 06:51:52 AM
That looks kinda cool.  What the heck happened? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:03 AM
Not sure if they will give you a voucher for it as they do not warranty rusted tools. Even if they did they mention they determine the value by condition and a few other factors I believe. If they did accept it I doubt they would give you much.

One thing I am wondering is if the tool needs to be a warranty claim to be accepted as a E-voucher? They say “looking to upgrade” which got me thinking if one could send in a tool with no problems or reason for a warranty claim for the voucher program? I mean I would assume Leatherman would be alright with that as it’s a better deal for them but who knows.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 01:36:01 PM
From FAQ page: "The credit that we issue on e-vouchers are used to offset the expense of fixing your tool and sending back to you"

They also do not take brand new tools. Just broken ones.

Leatherman is not that stupid as you think. I bet the cost of having an employee disassemble a tool, fix them, and ship out is more than manufacturing a brand new tool. With e-voucher purchase, you still have to pay for shipping and tax, just like any regular purchases on Leatherman website. Very few people pay full retail price for Leatherman tools on eBay. You need to buy a big bulk of used Waves at dirt cheap price to pull this trade stunt and make a small profit by reselling. Remember you still have to pay fee to reselling websites and shipping. If you are such resellers, you may as well stick to reselling used tools.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 02:38:26 PM

I just had a look thru at the values of the returning tools. I must say the prices are really good! U people are lucky in the US!
[/quote]

They offer me $20 for my CORE... I can sell it on Ebay for at least $40!
Not so lucky...as you think!
Enjoy!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 02:23:36 AM
$35 for a Fuse, $15 for a Style PS, I'd prefer getting the replacement for sure.
Leatherman

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 05:58:27 AM
$35 for a Fuse, $15 for a Style PS, I'd prefer getting the replacement for sure.
$80 for a crunch, $75 for a signal, $75 for a surge. I think it probably has to do with the availability of parts and pieces. I'd say they are being much more than fair?

The fuse hasn't been produced for more than 6 years.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:59:39 AM by kaput »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 01:13:05 PM
The more I think about it, this program aims at people who want different tools from what they send in. It does not make sense to send in a damaged Core for $20 credit, while you can get a new ST300 in a warranty claim. If not for the "damaged" requirement, I am very interested in sending two Charge Tti (Camo version  >:D) to get a Skele Damasteel and a Charge Red Cross in return.

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 10:07:27 PM
The more I think about it, this program aims at people who want different tools from what they send in. It does not make sense to send in a damaged Core for $20 credit, while you can get a new ST300 in a warranty claim. If not for the "damaged" requirement, I am very interested in sending two Charge Tti (Camo version  >:D) to get a Skele Damasteel and a Charge Red Cross in return.

If you already have have a Skeletool might as well purchase the blade by it self and save some $$
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 02:11:07 AM

If you already have have a Skeletool might as well purchase the blade by it self and save some $$
I want that specific stainless blade, not TTC carbon steel stuff.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 04:07:19 AM
Um...look for the E-voucher program to become the new barometer for used tool prices much like Kelley Blue book is for cars, but this will be a "certified pre-owned" value...

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 02:25:02 AM
 I think they have a limit on the number of tools.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 03:42:32 PM
I like to keep it simple, Leatherman warranty has always been very good with my tools so I have no reason to abuse it.
My Core failed to me and I sent it two weeks ago, will see what they do for me!
Simple as that!
Enjoy!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 01:22:46 PM
not trying to be a party pooper, but I know lots of people will try to abuse this program and make a buck at Leatherman's (and its customers) expense  :P

it's been going for years with their warranty, secondary market, Internet and all, not going to stop now    :rant:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%