Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Christchurch to Queenstown 600km bike ride

PTRSAK · 77 · 3482

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Christchurch to Queenstown 600km bike ride
on: May 23, 2018, 02:13:20 PM
I've been a bit quiet on the forum in the last year or so. Part of the reason is that I have somthing else at the top of my obsession list at the moment.

When I was younger and fitter I raced mountain bikes. Great fun, good exercise and all that.
I still have what had been an upper-mid level rigid MTB kicking around but had not thrown a leg over it in so long that the tyres had rotted off it.

Started riding with a female friend on weekends just for something different, to cafes, pubs and the like.
(you gotta start somewhere) The rides got longer and we started riding just for the ride itself. (mind out of the gutter you lot)

To cut a long story short I now commute at least twice a week 25km each way and usually fit in a 50ish km ride on the weekend. 75km is PB distance so far.

Obviously this is not on a 20 year old MTB.
I picked up what was a pretty high end roadie in it's day for about 1/10th the original price and pretty much all that's left now is the frame and fork.
It did have 9 speed ultegra group and some very cool but fragile 16 spoke Shimano wheels.
I lucked onto a pair of brand new wheels "as removed" from a fairly nice bike and gradually accumulated the components to convert it to current spec 11 speed 105.

With returning fitness, a mad plan started forming in the back of my mind...

Something to aim for to do toward the end of the southern summer next year. Probably around March 2019.

I am not decided between two options yet, let's call them Plan A and Plan B. The decision will be flexible enough to be made at the last moment (literally) and there is much planning, training, buying of gear and building of suitable bike between now and then so for now I will let the pictures below do the talking. ... should be fun.

plan A.JPG
* plan A.JPG (Filesize: 60.42 KB)
plan B.JPG
* plan B.JPG (Filesize: 86.5 KB)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:38:14 PM by PTRSAK »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Christchurch to Queenstown 600km bike ride
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:46:53 PM
I would rather walk.......but in that beautiful country......can only be fun!  :cheers:

These challenges we set ourselves is a critical part of life I believe, so good luck with the build-up and preparations!  :salute:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:53:28 PM
:popcorn:
Looking forward to hearing more about this.  On or off-road?  In one go or over a few days?  Touring or racing?  Keep us updated. :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:47 PM
You probably already know about the Otago Central Rail Trail that unfortunately can't be worked into option A. Central Otago is stunning in Autumn. Looks like you're visiting Zoidberg on the way.

I have heard good things about the bike trails down the West Coast, particularly the section from Kumara to Hokitika. Further North there is the Old Ghost Road (https://oldghostroad.org.nz/) and even the Heaphy Track but that is only open to bikes from May to November.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:10:45 PM
Option C: Combine the two. Start from Queenstown, head up through Central, take Highway 72 and then the Lake Coleridge / Lake Lyndon Road through to meet the road over Arthurs Pass. Once at Kumara take the aforementioned off-road trail South down the Coast and back through Haast / Wanaka to Queenstown. Or the other way around.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:58:53 PM
Five hundred plus kilometers is nothing to sneeze at!  Sounds like a good few days worth of a trip no matter what.  I would suggest that you start at the opposite end (assuming you live in Queensland?) and make your way home so you don't have that extra bit of trip hanging over our head!  Plus it will be downhill that way... :P

That looks like a great trip and well worth doing!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 03:52:13 AM
PTRSAK lives in Australia. Queensland is also in Australia.
Queenstown is in New Zealand which is where he is planning to do the trip. The map is of NZ's South Island / Te Waipounamu / Te Waka a Maui.
I'm guessing he would fly into Christchurch first and start his trip near there.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:52:10 PM
PTRSAK lives in Australia. Queensland is also in Australia.
Queenstown is in New Zealand which is where he is planning to do the trip. The map is of NZ's South Island / Te Waipounamu / Te Waka a Maui.
I'm guessing he would fly into Christchurch first and start his trip near there.

Oops... one of these days I really should learn to read...  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 01:07:05 PM
Hehe... it would be kinda like me calling you an American....  :whistle:
Show content
and you are - a North American :pok:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 02:28:35 PM
Yeah, I can see the whole Queensland/Queenstown thing being slightly confusing.

Yes, I'd be flying from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia to Christchurch, New Zealand (2504km) and, depending on weather mainly, deciding virtually on the day to do the West Coast or east of the Southern Alps. If there is the usual south-westerly blowing it would make half of the West Coast option a 270km slog into a headwind.

The east option would begin pedaling straight from Christchurch but the West Coast route would require a bus trip to Hokatika or possibly just to Arthur's Pass if I don't mind adding about 60km to the distance (mostly downhill so not that big of a deal)

As far as scenery goes, each option is pretty much spectacular so there is almost nothing to pick between them on that front.

I'm thinking of probably going with a Bikepacking setup of seatpost, frame and handlebar bags rather than traditional Bike Touring pannier based system.  I'll only have about 23L of luggage space so this will mean selecting all lightweight gear and going minimalist with pretty much everything. Another reason to be looking at late summer but before it starts cooling off too much. No room for bulky warm clothing.

Both options start essentially at sea level and Queenstown is 310m altitude. However, the west coast route has about 4700m of climb and the eastern option has about 4200m climb along the route. With a lot of descending too, obviously. Again, not a hell of a lot of difference when spread over the 530ish km of either route.

I already have the basic bike that I plan on using but I bought my first modification for it last week to make it more distance traveling friendly. A Brooks B17 saddle. Look up almost any guide on bike touring and this is the seat of choice. Made in England of selected cow hide, to a design unchanged since 1866 it is designed to, over a 300ish mile break-in period, mold to the individual contours of the rider's sit bones. Once broken in, they are supposed to be far more comfortable than any new fangled carbonfibre and memory foam saddle. It better be, damn thing cost about a hundred bucks.

The bike I intend to use is a composite of parts from (currently) 5 other bikes. It has been built up on a new frame and fork from new and used components and still has some work to be done. Two main items I want to address are (hopefully) replacing the existing budget suspension fork with a much lighter rigid carbon fork. And secondly, possible replacement of the current hydraulic disc brake calipers with cable operated units. This is mainly with reliability and ease of maintenance/repair in mind. Much easier to change out a brake cable than be trying to bleed hydraulic brakes. With quality mechanical calipers the decrease in stopping power should be minimal.
I may run into a problem with the fork replacement. It could drop the bottom bracket height by 30mm or so and may lead to increased risk of pedal strike. Fitting wider and hence higher profile tyres may offset this. I would certainly be happy to lose the weight. Also would be good if I could drop about 10kg myself.

Well, it's all still a long way off, but a lot of prep still to be done.  Looking forward to it.
bike1.JPG
* bike1.JPG (Filesize: 128.53 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 02:45:08 PM
The east option would begin pedaling straight from Christchurch but the West Coast route would require a bus trip to Hokatika or possibly just to Arthur's Pass if I don't mind adding about 60km to the distance (mostly downhill so not that big of a deal)
https://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz/tranzalpine/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BIngNewZealandScenicTrains

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 09:08:41 PM
all i can say is good luck
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline Syncop8r

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 03:40:10 PM
If I was a train nut I would definitely do that trip, but a bus is about 1/3 the price and half the time.

There are several great looking cycling trails around that part of the world, but none really fit in with what I'm planning.
I'd like to explore a bit and take back roads where they exist. Not much chance of that down the West Coast but.
Many more parallel options to avoid highways on the other side of the Alps. At least on the Canterbury plains.

I did luck onto some good touring tyres at 1/2 price clearance.
Continental Travel Contact 700C x 37mm with a grooved slick tread down the center for low rolling resistance but a couple of rows of small knobs on each side for cornering bite on loose surfaces. I'm happy to pay $30 each for $60 tyres any day of the week.

Got to keep the project rolling along, it seems a long way off yet, but I'm sure that before I know it we'll be looking at Christmas and I'll only have a couple of months to get everything finished up.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:47 AM
The bike is coming together slowly. 

Got most of the luggage sorted out with only the front toptube bag to come but I ordered that this morning.
The tail bag is 12L, the front is 6L, the triangle bag is about 2 L and the toptube bag I'm getting is 3L.
I don't really want to take a backpack as well as it's not so comfortable riding with one on.

I have a tent sorted and am now looking at sleeping bags. Unfortunately they are a bit like women's swimwear. the less material used in making them, the higher the price.
I could get a bag that would do the job perfectly for about $20... but it would take up most of my luggage space on its own. To gt something warm enough and lightweight/compact when packed you could easily add another zero to that price.

Fitted the carbon fibre forks this morning, they only weigh 450g and replace the budget suspension forks that were on the bike originally which must weigh nearly 3kg on their own.

Got a pair of DZR mountain bike sneakers which look like "normal" shoes but have Shimano SPD cleats recessed in the soles. 
Single pair of shoes for the trip plus a pair of jandles/thongs/flip-flops saves space.
42966414414_9758e5f1b6_k.jpg
* 42966414414_9758e5f1b6_k.jpg (Filesize: 295.19 KB)
28793988047_fe9bd5b453_k.jpg
* 28793988047_fe9bd5b453_k.jpg (Filesize: 306.71 KB)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 11:18:16 AM
 :like:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 01:17:58 PM
Cool.  :tu:

If you did choose the West Coast option, Kumara to Hokitika can be done off-highway but I see on the map that it is not very direct (although I hear that it is very nice).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 02:28:34 PM

Got most of the luggage sorted out with only the front toptube bag to come but I ordered that this morning.
The tail bag is 12L, the front is 6L, the triangle bag is about 2 L and the toptube bag I'm getting is 3L.
I don't really want to take a backpack as well as it's not so comfortable riding with one on.

I have a tent sorted and am now looking at sleeping bags. Unfortunately they are a bit like women's swimwear. the less material used in making them, the higher the price.
I could get a bag that would do the job perfectly for about $20... but it would take up most of my luggage space on its own. To gt something warm enough and lightweight/compact when packed you could easily add another zero to that price.

Fitted the carbon fibre forks this morning, they only weigh 450g and replace the budget suspension forks that were on the bike originally which must weigh nearly 3kg on their own.

Got a pair of DZR mountain bike sneakers which look like "normal" shoes but have Shimano SPD cleats recessed in the soles. 
Single pair of shoes for the trip plus a pair of jandles/thongs/flip-flops saves space.

Thinking about this some more (and I am super jealous BTW!) I was wondering what the plan was for food?  Are you planning to stop along the way and eat at restaurants/cafes etc or are you planning to bring food with you?  That of course translates into how long you are planning to ride each day and how many days you are planning for this trip.  Water will also be a concern- are you bringing water or planning on getting it along the way too? 

If you average 50km/day then you are looking at 11 days, which means a lot of food and water, especially with the physical exertion of cycling.  That having been said, if you push for 100km/day then it will only take you 5 days, but you'll see and do a lot less, but you won't need to bring nearly as much food and water along with you.

Of course, if you want to do a Tour De France style marathon and do it in two days, you could save a lot on water and food, but not see much AND lose that 10kg you wanted all at once!   :ahhh

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 10:03:37 PM
I've actually driven your Plan A, and it is a beautiful landscape for sure. I drove early in the morning and the morning mists even added some to that. I had to make a few stops just to look around, and I wasn't the only one who did that.

Quite the height differences too going over the mountain passes. Total respect if you can do those on bike. :tu:

Edit: I added a few circles to your plan A just to soak in the visuals. (Ok, I got lost...)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:06:58 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 01:01:14 PM
Bike looks great - a nice mix of old and new, and very functional. :like:  Would definitely advise against using a backpack unless you really have to.

... sleeping bags. Unfortunately they are a bit like women's swimwear. the less material used in making them, the higher the price.

:D  I got lucky a few years ago with a lightweight down bag in a manufacturer's sale - it packs down to about the size of a pineapple - but the equivalent bag now would cost well over £300. :o

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 06:37:19 AM

Thinking about this some more (and I am super jealous BTW!) I was wondering what the plan was for food?  Are you planning to stop along the way and eat at restaurants/cafes etc or are you planning to bring food with you?  That of course translates into how long you are planning to ride each day and how many days you are planning for this trip.  Water will also be a concern- are you bringing water or planning on getting it along the way too? 

If you average 50km/day then you are looking at 11 days, which means a lot of food and water, especially with the physical exertion of cycling.  That having been said, if you push for 100km/day then it will only take you 5 days, but you'll see and do a lot less, but you won't need to bring nearly as much food and water along with you.

Of course, if you want to do a Tour De France style marathon and do it in two days, you could save a lot on water and food, but not see much AND lose that 10kg you wanted all at once!   :ahhh

Def

The food thing is a big plus for the eastern option. Much more in the way of habitation. I plan to carry some food but there is only one night where it looks like I might have to rough camp.
This will be on the stretch over the Lindis pass which will be the second highest point of the trip. It's a 115km stage from Omarama to Wanaka but the first 32 of that is all uphill with well over 500m of climb.
Otherwise there is towns with camping grounds approximately every 50km and lots of cafes and shops to buy as I go. This is one reason I have picked 50km as a daily target distance.
Also, as you say, it allows for plenty of time for side tracks and activities other than pumping pedals.

As far as water goes, it shouldn't be a problem. I'll carry a couple of litre bottles on the bike and top up as I go. A packet of water purifying tablets (plus boiling) will mean that most of the lakes, rivers and streams could be used as a backup too.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 08:36:33 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 03:08:46 PM

I agree.  March is getting closer every minute and I am anxious to hear whether the plan has changed or not? 

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 09:12:20 PM
He mentioned he will be going Christchurch - Queenstown in less than a month in the cycling thread the other day, hence my :bump::salute:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 02:13:51 AM
Yep. In four short weeks, to the day, I will be in Christchurch buying up supplies and doing a little sightseeing before setting off "tomorrow".
Flights are booked, lightweight camping gear, water filter, solar panel, cycling gear, tools and spares, etc etc is all purchased.
Fitness is up but weight is not down. But I have traded a lot of fat for muscle. Route is 90% figured out with most of the fine tuning to be done on the fly depending on conditions and progress vs time.
Greatly looking forward to this adventure.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:15 AM
The weapon of choice has changed for this trip.
While the bike I had been building up would have been perfectly adequate, I chanced upon a better option that was a sore dick deal (you couldn't beat it).
A Giant Cross-City 0 disc. Less than two year old, flat bar hybrid with higher end Shimano componentry. A $1200 bike for $239 in a local pawn shop. Like I'm going to walk past that.

Swapped a few items over, like the better wheels and Continental tyres. Also upgraded the derailleurs from the Deore to the 105 units I had. I'll be fitting a new cassette and chain before I set off, just to be on the safe side.
All the luggage fits well, I have relented and installed a small rear rack which will do duty carrying tent on the top and sleeping bag one side with sleeping mat on the other. In the interests of comfort I ended up going bigger on the mat thickness than I originally planned. It's now the largest single item but these old bones can't get comfortable laying on the ground like they used to.
Bought one of these new fangled Sawyer Mini water filters, removes 99.997% of bacteria. Supposed to last 100000 lites. (with back flushing). Have a mini gas stove but will need to buy the cylinder for it over there. Single man tent that cost 4x the price of my three man tent, (priced under the same rules as bikinis).
Crossed to the dark side and bought a pair of MTB shorts. Far more practical than nicks and hopefully just as comfortable. Two and a half changes of clothes for three weeks. I'll have to buy something there if it turns cold.

Hoping to get a one nighter practice run in one of the remaining weekends, or I might just sleep in the yard one night.

Apparently you can put this tent up in the rain... Mat, fly, then inner groundsheet/liner. I'm sceptical, but hopeful. Assuming that I might get about 1/3 rainy days. Hoping for less, but that'll be a bonus.

Will post some pics of the gear I've assembled later.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 04:10:01 AM
Just seeing this :o Hope you have a great time and good luck :cheers: Sounds like it will be a lot of fun and can't wait to hear about it :tu:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 04:12:14 AM
Of special interest to the boss man...
I'll be taking and using my "Million post" eat'n tool. Might be my trip talisman. That or my MTO poker chip. But that's not very good for eating off.

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 05:44:44 AM
The weapon of choice has changed for this trip.
While the bike I had been building up would have been perfectly adequate, I chanced upon a better option that was a sore dick deal (you couldn't beat it).
A Giant Cross-City 0 disc. Less than two year old, flat bar hybrid with higher end Shimano componentry. A $1200 bike for $239 in a local pawn shop. Like I'm going to walk past that.

Swapped a few items over, like the better wheels and Continental tyres. Also upgraded the derailleurs from the Deore to the 105 units I had. I'll be fitting a new cassette and chain before I set off, just to be on the safe side.
All the luggage fits well, I have relented and installed a small rear rack which will do duty carrying tent on the top and sleeping bag one side with sleeping mat on the other. In the interests of comfort I ended up going bigger on the mat thickness than I originally planned. It's now the largest single item but these old bones can't get comfortable laying on the ground like they used to.
Bought one of these new fangled Sawyer Mini water filters, removes 99.997% of bacteria. Supposed to last 100000 lites. (with back flushing). Have a mini gas stove but will need to buy the cylinder for it over there. Single man tent that cost 4x the price of my three man tent, (priced under the same rules as bikinis).
Crossed to the dark side and bought a pair of MTB shorts. Far more practical than nicks and hopefully just as comfortable. Two and a half changes of clothes for three weeks. I'll have to buy something there if it turns cold.

Hoping to get a one nighter practice run in one of the remaining weekends, or I might just sleep in the yard one night.

Apparently you can put this tent up in the rain... Mat, fly, then inner groundsheet/liner. I'm sceptical, but hopeful. Assuming that I might get about 1/3 rainy days. Hoping for less, but that'll be a bonus.

Will post some pics of the gear I've assembled later.

Sounds good PTRSAK.  What make/model is your one person tent?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 06:40:32 AM
Looking forward to seeing the results!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%