Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The hand tool (shop tool) discussion thread.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
The hand tool (shop tool) discussion thread.
on: May 24, 2018, 08:41:04 AM
Just wondering what you guys prefer as far as “dedicated” or shop tools and why? A lot of people say Snap-On is the end all be all when it comes to tools. Some prefer Craftsman. I myself can’t justify the price of Snap-On unless I can find them second hand. I usually go for vintage Craftsman when I can find them. So what do you all use as your shop tools?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:31:46 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The hand tool (shop tool) discussion thread.
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:58:28 AM
Teng tools and Bahco mostly

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 12:18:44 PM
Snap-On is very popular with the mechanics as they will come and replace your broken tool on site. As for me, I like Mastercraft which is a Canadian Tire brand, and Gray Tools. Craftsman are good, but you can't buy new anymore with the disappearance of Sears, and I guess that lifetime warranty went out the window as well.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:25:47 PM
I was an ASE certified auto tech and am now a marine technician , I will only use Snap on. The tools for everyday day use IMHO are far superior to other brands. Thats not to say other brands are not , just my opinion. For electronics I prefer Fluke and all my cordless tools are Makita or Milwaukee. The Snap On tool guy is actually the only one who consistantly at my shop once a week . Mac tools are not bad , I will never buy anything Matco related.  As for my home tools I have a mix of Snap on, Craftsman , Mac and Hazet and Stahlwille. Sorry for rambling on  :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:42 PM
Nice to hear what you all prefer.

I forgot to mention my deep love for Knipex. I have a few Wiha items as well. As always Klein is a winner 9 times out of 10 in my book.

I recently went on a used tool buying spree at the local flea market and garage sales and came out with a few nice things plus a bunch of very cool vintage/antique tools. Got some old Stanley Plainers as well as old wrenches, staple gun, hand drills, and a ton of bastart files. I can’t have enough antique files!!! Oh and on the less antique side I got a Snap-On breaker bar for $5!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:12:51 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42:28 PM
I also use Knipex , Flush cuts and 4 sizes of the channel locks

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:33:30 PM
For once I thought I'd take some pictures.

For shop tools I try to maintain some logical order according to workstation, type/ size of work, and level of grime and dirt. For instance I don't want oil and metal debris where I handle clean stuff and electronics. Nor do that place typically need particularly big tools. So the first picture shows some of the clean fine stuff area tools. I've settled on Wera screwdrivers for the most part, but I do like the Garant ones better. I might get more of those in the future. I guess the pliers are all Knipex. That is a bit of a happenstance of what was there I guess.

Back in the day I had a lot of wire work on machines, and made this little portable workstation for that. Also great for everyday household stuff.

As for screwdriver my preferences are a bit different depending on size and use. The picture show a few different styles. For allround carry around the black and yellow stubby one is nice. For electrical and clean stuff that doesn't need much torque I really like the Garant and Swisstool handles. For rougher stuff that needs more torque I turn to the Wera style handles. Which leaves the Teng tool screwdrivers laying mostly around in the drawers.

For socket sets I prefer the Kamasa style ones in the middle. Being hexagonal on the outside as well make them easier to turn with fingers and give the option of grabbing them from the side if the space is tight. They also have a hole for that kind of wrench - whatever that is called in English :) The other ones in the picture are from Teng, and their sockets sets are fine too. (I don't like the Teng pliers and some other stuff though - quality levels seems to vary between their tools). The pipe wrenches have their rare uses from time to time.

IMG_8999_tools.jpg
* IMG_8999_tools.jpg (Filesize: 172.07 KB)
IMG_9002_tools.jpg
* IMG_9002_tools.jpg (Filesize: 208.6 KB)
IMG_9010_tools.jpg
* IMG_9010_tools.jpg (Filesize: 164.83 KB)
IMG_9013_tools.jpg
* IMG_9013_tools.jpg (Filesize: 125.51 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:51:34 PM
For screwdrivers bits I like Wera and their quality a lot - their price levels do mean that I use lots of normal cheap expendables too though.

For bigger bits the ones on socket seems to be the only reasonable solution. They do work fine, so I've gotten some small ones in sockets too. Still haven't got around to use those much, but time will tell I guess. The angled Wera flat screwdrivers are really intended for tight spaces, and I'm sure they work for that, but I find them most useful for scraping and cleaning in hard to reach crooks and crannies  :D

And since the mod forum had a topic about deburring some time back I thought I'd picture of that too. If one can bring the work to a stationary grinder, or a an angle grinder can do the work that is often the easiest. But for the small precision stuff that might be hard to reach these are the methods I've used the most.

From top a straight grinder (with some aluminium cutter on). It tends to be quite effective at edges. It also has a serious kickback, and as it is often used in tiny places that kickback can go places it shouldn't. People who are new to these tend to not hold them anywhere precise or hard enough - which typically results in a broken cutter and someone swearing the tool off altogether :D One also tends to get covered in fine metal spoon that gets everywhere.

The Proxxon belt grinder is a nice for precision stuff. Having ruined one of those before, and no less than three tiny Proxxon angle grinders, I'm not prepared to pay their prices again when this one breaks. Very nice as long as it works though.

In the middle is a hard metal wood router bit. Used with a suitable router they give very precise 45 degree deburrs on edges of aluminium, plastic and wood (doh!).

Then towards the bottom are various manual deburring tools. The two to the left is to deburr sharp edges of rods and holes respectively, while the handle with the extra bits if for normal deburring along edges. The various bits cater for various types of materials ranging from steel to plastic. They are quick to use and takes off just enough to get rid of burrs and any sharp edges.

Ok, I've typed enough for now :) Dinner time.
IMG_9019_tools.jpg
* IMG_9019_tools.jpg (Filesize: 151.16 KB)
IMG_9022_tools.jpg
* IMG_9022_tools.jpg (Filesize: 166.11 KB)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:54:01 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 09:03:52 PM
I have a fairly eclectic mix of hand tools, 95% US made including Thorsen, SK, Craftsman, Mac, Snap On, Channellock, Diamond, Vise Grip and Crescent (but mostly Craftsman), and all made before they moved manufacturing elsewhere. I keep the ones that work well, including some sentimental ones that I have had for many years. The ones that don't get used or that I decide are poor quality are eliminated pretty quickly, as I don't like sifting through junk tools to get at my good ones. I have a few Japanese hand tools also (the other 5%), which are very high quality also. When I was building my tool collection years ago, there weren't as many choices or buying options, so through trial and error I was able to distill a decent complete set from what was offered at the time, as my budget allowed.  :salute:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21:38 PM
As always Klein is a winner 9 times out of 10 in my book.

My Klein lineman's pliers, I got these used in the late 70's, probably made in the 50's, still work perfectly. One of my favorite tools.  :)

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:59:12 PM
My Klein lineman's pliers, I got these used in the late 70's, probably made in the 50's, still work perfectly. One of my favorite tools.  :)

That one got some seriously asymmetrical fulcrum! Must have quite the leverage near the root.  :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:22:04 PM
Err, this is a tricky subject, certain tools have the best of each tool, thus why some tools are called diff names, like a pair of vice grips you automatically think of locking pliers, yet theirs other manufacturers, same with channel locks, you see those blue handled tongue and groove, just like power tools, sawzall, you automatically see a Milwaukee Reciprocating Saw, heck same like tissues, do you ask for a tissue or a Kleenex? Grant it this is all U.S. other country’s will be diff, but normally the best of that tool or what ever, it’s name becomes the nickname because it’s the best of whatever..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline twiliter

Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 11:47:05 PM

That one got some seriously asymmetrical fulcrum! Must have quite the leverage near the root.  :tu:

Yes, major leverage.  :tu: They are also quite large, 9 1/2" (Spartan for scale), and I have used them on all sorts of wire and cable up to 1/2" and the cutters are still intact, no chips or dulling. I have also used them as a hammer, an anvil, a prybar, and other less conventional things. Pretty sure they don't make them like this anymore.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 12:07:56 PM
Err, this is a tricky subject, certain tools have the best of each tool, thus why some tools are called diff names, like a pair of vice grips you automatically think of locking pliers, yet theirs other manufacturers, same with channel locks, you see those blue handled tongue and groove, just like power tools, sawzall, you automatically see a Milwaukee Reciprocating Saw, heck same like tissues, do you ask for a tissue or a Kleenex? Grant it this is all U.S. other country’s will be diff, but normally the best of that tool or what ever, it’s name becomes the nickname because it’s the best of whatever..
JR

I hear Leatherman makes a set of Vise Grips.  :whistle:

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 05:53:49 PM
JR

I hear Leatherman makes a set of Vise Grips.  :whistle:
The crunch? I had one, was nice but I broke the jaw and sent it back for a new one then ended up selling it..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline twiliter

Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 07:53:04 PM
Here's my old Crunch, made way before there was such a thing.  :D

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 07:59:20 PM
I was an ASE certified auto tech and am now a marine technician , I will only use Snap on. The tools for everyday day use IMHO are far superior to other brands. Thats not to say other brands are not , just my opinion. For electronics I prefer Fluke and all my cordless tools are Makita or Milwaukee. The Snap On tool guy is actually the only one who consistantly at my shop once a week . Mac tools are not bad , I will never buy anything Matco related.  As for my home tools I have a mix of Snap on, Craftsman , Mac and Hazet and Stahlwille. Sorry for rambling on  :D

Well... if you can't ramble here about such stuff, where can you ramble!?!  :D

I find that Knippex and PB Swiss Tool complement each other rather nicely...  :whistle:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 08:02:51 PM
My entire Snap On collection, part of my bigger collection of combination wrenches. I acquired these at an abandoned property back in the 90's and integrated them into my tool set. Snap Ons have always been too expensive to buy new (for me anyway). They are very high quality, but not enough to justify the outrageous prices.  :salute:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:11 PM
My Mac combo wrenches, long pattern. I bought this set when I was working as a tune up mechanic just out of high school (early 80's), a little pricey at the time, but they have earned their keep. Another favorite.  :)

us Offline twiliter

Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 08:45:39 PM
Some oddball favorites that I have had since forever seems like. Lectrolite combo closed end (no longer in business), Williams Superrench (sic) socket end combo (now a division of Snap On), and Wilpen offset combo (division of Plomb, no longer in business).  :salute:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:02 PM
I do AV installs.

Knipex for diagonal cutters, Klein GITD for screwdrivers, 1/4 and 3/8 snap on ratchets, Husky, old school Craftsman sockets.

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 08:53:20 PM
Great topic, Capn'.

Most of my stuff is old Craftsman dating 1990's and before that, for work on the old Blazer or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Or even the lady's Murano... I have a couple of SK but not many. Want more of those. I have a great set of Crescent New England tipped Linesman's Plyers similar to the above Kliens.

I have sets of Bucks Bros chisels, and some Stanley planers and levels. Estwing framing hammer. Custom Leather Craft leather toolbelt.

I'll have to post a few pics, but heres my Miller's Falls #5a egg beater hand drill for now
CAM00063.jpg
* CAM00063.jpg (Filesize: 253.1 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 08:54:10 PM
Being disassembled by my Leatherman OG Super Tool

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 09:39:52 PM
Some oddball favorites that I have had since forever seems like. Lectrolite combo closed end (no longer in business), Williams Superrench (sic) socket end combo (now a division of Snap On), and Wilpen offset combo (division of Plomb, no longer in business).  :salute:
I had a set of wrenches just like that one, open end/socket
JR

us Offline twiliter

Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 09:54:52 PM
JR

I wish I had the whole set, but just this one. Came from the same place I got my Snap On wrenches, a found thing. I used it a lot when I worked on my big truck, usually to back up a bolt using a ratchet and socket on the other end. I had some pretty big tools when I had my big truck and sold/gifted them away when I had no further use for them, but I did keep my Williams wrench (and a few other things), as I still do some wrenching now and then.  :tu:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 09:57:11 PM
Great topic, Capn'.

Most of my stuff is old Craftsman dating 1990's and before that, for work on the old Blazer or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Or even the lady's Murano... I have a couple of SK but not many. Want more of those. I have a great set of Crescent New England tipped Linesman's Plyers similar to the above Kliens.

I have sets of Bucks Bros chisels, and some Stanley planers and levels. Estwing framing hammer. Custom Leather Craft leather toolbelt.

I'll have to post a few pics, but heres my Miller's Falls #5a egg beater hand drill for now

I agree, great topic. I really like the old woodworking tools, wish I had more. The old Miller's Falls tools are great.  :tu:

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 10:05:56 PM
JR

I wish I had the whole set, but just this one. Came from the same place I got my Snap On wrenches, a found thing. I used it a lot when I worked on my big truck, usually to back up a bolt using a ratchet and socket on the other end. I had some pretty big tools when I had my big truck and sold/gifted them away when I had no further use for them, but I did keep my Williams wrench (and a few other things), as I still do some wrenching now and then.  :tu:
I had a set of wrenches, they were craftsman combo ends both reg and metric, I have no clue where they went, I do have a socket set, reg, metric, and deeps, all three on those socket bars, all 1/2” drive, one ratchet and one breaker bar. I think there huskys, I bought this way back in 97, there still like new..
JR

us Offline twiliter

Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 10:12:43 PM
I think if I were still in the market for good hand tools, I would definitely consider the Hoffman Group companies, a lot of those brands were virtually unknown here when I was putting my tool set together.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 10:16:32 PM
JR

I had a set of wrenches, they were craftsman combo ends both reg and metric, I have no clue where they went, I do have a socket set, reg, metric, and deeps, all three on those socket bars, all 1/2” drive, one ratchet and one breaker bar. I think there huskys, I bought this way back in 97, there still like new..
JR

Nice!  :tu: Most of my sockets are 3/8" drive now, I still have a few 1/2" and my torque wrench is 1/2", but I used to have a 3/4" set also, which made my toolbox too heavy to lift!  :ahhh

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 10:54:42 PM
JR

JR

Nice!  :tu: Most of my sockets are 3/8" drive now, I still have a few 1/2" and my torque wrench is 1/2", but I used to have a 3/4" set also, which made my toolbox too heavy to lift!  :ahhh
Huh, I bet! Our high school was a tech and my class the hvac/p class used to go out on the job, and our one teacher an ex-marine used to get us on a Air Force base for some jobs, this is one place you don’t screw around, if you stepped foot off limits they had full right to take you down! We’d walk through a hanger and there’s a plane fully fueled ready to go with all sorts of weapons, heck back when Clinton was in office one of his secret service fig he was above everyone and went for a tour, needless to say he got tackled! Anyway, one day our teacher tripped over a classmates toolbox and he was in a bad mood and ended up kicking it a good 10’ on concrete, the classmate was like OMG, that was my box and it was fully loaded! Heck the box itself was one of those all metal 15lb carpenter boxes.. but them things can get heavy, especially with sockets!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%